digitalmars.D - Re: Integrated Debugger

Aha, I found the following advice in a 5/1 post:

# Title: Re: D Language and the MS Visual Studio Debugger
# Author: imr1984 <imr1984_member pathlink.com>
# Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 11:17:19 +0000 (UTC)
#
# All you do (in VS.NET) is open your exe created in D as a project in .NET.
Then
# add your .d source files to the project and press F5. Thats all there is
to it.

This is pretty cool -- I can compile with the -g option (to add debug info),
run the D EXE from within Visual Studio 6.0, hit Break on the VS toolbar,
and it'll bring up the original D source.  I can set breakpoints within the
editor and it'll break when it gets there.  I can even hover over variable
names (or add to the Watch window), and it'll show me the the current value.
Awesome.

Unforutnately (but understandably), it only understands C/C++ atomic types.
Thus I can see int and float values, but I can't dereference class/structure
pointers to get at their attributes.

So, this is a pretty great first step -- I'm really happy I can get this
far.  But it's pretty sucky to be stuck with only debugging C atomic types.
I guess I could cast everything into a C type (such as casting "char[] blah"
into "char* debug_blah" in order to see "blah" in the debugger), but that's
a bit of a pain.

Any suggestions on how to get around this?

-david

"David Barrett" <dbarrett quinthar.com> wrote in message news:...
 I see there are a bunch of IDEs that give syntax highlighting,

 and so on.  However, I can't find any that offer integrated debugging.

 Does any IDE offer integrated debugging, including:
 - Breakpoints
 - Watches
 - Run/Break/Step In/Step Over/Step Out
 - ... etc ...

 In my dream world I could install some Visual Studio plug-in, and it'd

 me to develop in C++ and D, compile both into a single executable, and

 all together.

 Next best would be using Visual Studio for just D programming, even if I
 can't seamlessly switch between C++ and D.

 Next best would be some IDE that that lets me code, compile, and debug all
 in one.

 Basically, I'm not a fan of command-line debuggers, nor am I fan of *no*
 debugger.

 Any suggestions for a Visual Studio C++ programmer like me who wants to
 switch to D?

 -david

Jul 07 2004