D - C# version 2.0 Specification released

reply "Pizaz" <me here.com> writes:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/6/81682478-4018-48fe-9e5e-f87a44a
f3db9/SpecificationVer2.doc

saw the post on slashdot, many of you probably already have too... anyway
just an fyi
-mj
Oct 25 2003
parent "Sean L. Palmer" <palmer.sean verizon.net> writes:
My immediate opinion is that D really needs to target IL for .NET.  This is

language out there for doing business apps and such.  D already has
templates but this means the IL will actually support all of D.  They are
going to be putting an awful lot of effort on that backend that other
languages can piggy onto "for free" (besides the fact that it makes them
dependent on IL).  Microsoft still has incentive to build up the backend and
will likely put considerable financial effort into this.

first glance it seems well thought out.  But I'm only 2 pages into it so
we'll see.  ;)

Also I bet Sun will have Java with generics Real Soon Now.  Maybe they'll
crossbreed at some point.  D could target their JVM also at that point.

If the IL concept really works, they could do amazing optimization as your
program runs, and the code that is actually executed would be tuned
precisely for that very machine.  It could interpret the really high level
parts and optimize the hell out of the parts that are taking the most time.

for that on anything with the horsepower to actually compile something.
It's basically what C is to unix.

I probably sound preachy.  I'm not a Microsoft slut, but occasionally they

were:  lack of generics, and speed concerns.  And a little bit of wordiness.
Well and the fact that it seemed so damn imperative.  They're adding all
kinds of good stuff though.

Sean

"Pizaz" <me here.com> wrote in message
news:bnf8u2$2705$1 digitaldaemon.com...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/6/81682478-4018-48fe-9e5e-f87a44a
 f3db9/SpecificationVer2.doc

 saw the post on slashdot, many of you probably already have too... anyway
 just an fyi
 -mj
Oct 26 2003