D - Bug with variable number of arguments?

reply Marcel Strik <mars_888 hotmail.com> writes:
When I try this piece of code the outcome seems (to me at least) not as
it should be. Is this is a bug or am I just missing something in the way
parameters are passed?
(Print function based on code from Sean L. Palmer as posted in the
'va_list / rolling your own printf / Outbuffer' thread. I couldn't find
any other information on it so there might just be something else which
would explain for the behaviour).

import c.stdio;
import string;

void Print( char[] msg, ... )
{
	va_list ap;
	ap = cast(va_list)&msg;
	ap += msg.size;

	char[] buf;
	buf.length = 1024;
	vsprintf(buf, msg, ap);
	buf.length = strlen(buf);

	printf( "%.*s", buf );
}

int main( char [] [] args )
{
	float test = 1.2345;
	Print( "%f\n", 1.2345 );
	Print( "%f\n", test );

	return 1;
}

This outputs:

1.234500
0.000000

- Marcel
Oct 25 2003
parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <palmer.sean verizon.net> writes:
Try changing test from float to double, or put an 'f' on the end of your
1.2345.  Should make clear what's going on.

I don't think D promotes va_list arguments automatically the same way C
does.

Also I think it's lame how you're having to typecast to va_list and skip the
msg buffer manually.  There has to be a better way.  We should be able to
name the '...' parameter and refer to it directly as a va_list.

Sean

"Marcel Strik" <mars_888 hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns941FE6B8F27D5marsvulcanushotmail 63.105.9.61...
[...]

parent Marcel <mars_888 hotmail.com> writes:
Thanks for the quick reply and solution. Casting the values to doubles
was about the only thing I hadn't tried yet. I guess this type of
behaviour is just an artifact of interfacing D with a C function.

It would indeed be nice if there was better support for multiple
arguments in D or at least a better way to do the same (The C/C++ way
seems a bit outdated to me).

- Marcel

"Sean L. Palmer" <palmer.sean verizon.net> wrote in
news:bnen7u$1g2m$1 digitaldaemon.com: