www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - Visual D 0.52.0 released

reply Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario gmx.de> writes:
Hi,

a new version of Visual D, the Visual Studio extension that adds D
language support to VS2008-2019, is available at

https://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/StartPage.html

Major highlights of this release are

- improvements to the DMD based semantic engine: it has been updated to
the frontend version 2.091, and code-completion has improved quite a
bit, so much that I would recommend everyone to actually try it (unless
you have too little RAM installed to cope with the frontends hunger for
memory). Use "Visual D -> Open Language options..." from the menu to
enable the "DMD parsing engine" as well as "Colorize identifiers from
semantic analysis" on the "Editor" options page.

- the debugger expression evaluation now has support for tuples and
simpler display of global variables (it's no longer necessary to specify
the fully qualified name)

- updated support for all language options (e.g. -preview), these are
also forwarded to the DMD based code analysis

The full version history can be found at

https://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/VersionHistory.html

Cheers,
Rainer
Mar 23
next sibling parent Bastiaan Veelo <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 09:54:46 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
 Hi,

 a new version of Visual D, the Visual Studio extension that 
 adds D language support to VS2008-2019, is available at

 https://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/StartPage.html
[...]
 The full version history can be found at

 https://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/VersionHistory.html

 Cheers,
 Rainer
Great news! - Bastiaan.
Mar 23
prev sibling next sibling parent Dylan Graham <dylan.graham2000 gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 09:54:46 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
 Hi,

 a new version of Visual D, the Visual Studio extension that 
 adds D language support to VS2008-2019, is available at

 [...]
This is awesome! Thank you so much for this. I use Visual D all the time. Keep up the great work :D
Mar 23
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Dylan Graham <dylan.graham2000 gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 09:54:46 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
 Hi,

 a new version of Visual D, the Visual Studio extension that 
 adds D language support to VS2008-2019, is available at

 https://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/StartPage.html

 Major highlights of this release are

 - improvements to the DMD based semantic engine: it has been 
 updated to the frontend version 2.091, and code-completion has 
 improved quite a bit, so much that I would recommend everyone 
 to actually try it (unless you have too little RAM installed to 
 cope with the frontends hunger for memory). Use "Visual D -> 
 Open Language options..." from the menu to enable the "DMD 
 parsing engine" as well as "Colorize identifiers from semantic 
 analysis" on the "Editor" options page.

 - the debugger expression evaluation now has support for tuples 
 and simpler display of global variables (it's no longer 
 necessary to specify the fully qualified name)

 - updated support for all language options (e.g. -preview), 
 these are also forwarded to the DMD based code analysis

 The full version history can be found at

 https://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/VersionHistory.html

 Cheers,
 Rainer
The DMD Semantic Server seems to hang after 10-15 minutes of operation. Memory usage slowly increases from ~400MB to ~2.9GB, after which it seems to hang. It won't do completion, error checking or semantic highlighting. When I shut Visual Studio down, the semantic server lingers in the background which I have to terminate via Task Manager. Restarting Visual Studio and terminating the server seems to fix the issue, until it happens again 15 minutes later. The completion is a tad slow, but it's functional and very accurate, so I'm quite happy with it. I'm glad to see the progress you've made and I look forward to future updates =)
Mar 23
parent Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario gmx.de> writes:
On 24/03/2020 03:30, Dylan Graham wrote:
 Restarting Visual Studio and terminating the server seems to fix the
 issue, until it happens again 15 minutes later.
BTW: you don't need to restart Visual Studio, killing dmdserver.exe is enough, it will be automatically restarted and reconnected.
Mar 24
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Dylan Graham <dylan.graham2000 gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 09:54:46 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
 Hi,

 a new version of Visual D, the Visual Studio extension that 
 adds D language support to VS2008-2019, is available at

 [...]
Nvm it didn't hang. Just took a very long time to complete semantic highlighting.
Mar 23
parent Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario gmx.de> writes:
On 24/03/2020 03:31, Dylan Graham wrote:
 On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 09:54:46 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
 Hi,

 a new version of Visual D, the Visual Studio extension that adds D
 language support to VS2008-2019, is available at

 [...]
Nvm it didn't hang. Just took a very long time to complete semantic highlighting.
I guess dmd doesn't take as long to compile the file, does it? Does it happen on specific code? Are you able to share it? I usually try the engine on Visual D and dmd, and semantic highlighting can take a couple of seconds, but it doesn't feel very different from C++.
Mar 24
prev sibling parent reply ShadoLight <ettienne.gilbert gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 09:54:46 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
 Hi,

 a new version of Visual D, the Visual Studio extension that 
 adds D language support to VS2008-2019, is available at
[snip] As always - VisualD is highly appreciated Rainer! A minor issue (typo probably), the installer shows "Install in VS2005" as the 1st option, not "Install in VS2008". In fact, there is no option for installation to target VS2008, so I suspect this is just a typo since, AFAIK, you don't support VS2005 anymore. This does not affect me, so no need to fix this on my behalf. Don't know about others, but I suspect VS2008 usage is sufficiently rare that this is not urgent.
Mar 24
parent reply ShadoLight <ettienne.gilbert gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 at 10:55:28 UTC, ShadoLight wrote:
 On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 09:54:46 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
 Hi,

 a new version of Visual D, the Visual Studio extension that 
 adds D language support to VS2008-2019, is available at
[snip] As always - VisualD is highly appreciated Rainer! A minor issue (typo probably), the installer shows "Install in VS2005" as the 1st option, not "Install in VS2008". In fact, there is no option for installation to target VS2008, so I suspect this is just a typo since, AFAIK, you don't support VS2005 anymore. This does not affect me, so no need to fix this on my behalf. Don't know about others, but I suspect VS2008 usage is sufficiently rare that this is not urgent.
Hmm, I re-checked and it doesn't show VS2010 either... maybe it is picking up that I had to install VS2005 recently to repair some old project that had to remain in VS2005 project format? In my case VisualD installer only shows VS2005, and then all options from vS2013 onwards (even if not installed).
Mar 24
parent reply Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario gmx.de> writes:
On 24/03/2020 12:01, ShadoLight wrote:
 On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 at 10:55:28 UTC, ShadoLight wrote:
 On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 09:54:46 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
 Hi,

 a new version of Visual D, the Visual Studio extension that adds D
 language support to VS2008-2019, is available at
[snip] As always - VisualD is highly appreciated Rainer! A minor issue (typo probably), the installer shows "Install in VS2005" as the 1st option, not "Install in VS2008". In fact, there is no option for installation to target VS2008, so I suspect this is just a typo since, AFAIK, you don't support VS2005 anymore. This does not affect me, so no need to fix this on my behalf. Don't know about others, but I suspect VS2008 usage is sufficiently rare that this is not urgent.
Hmm, I re-checked and it doesn't show VS2010 either... maybe it is picking up that I had to install VS2005 recently to repair some old project that had to remain in VS2005 project format? In my case VisualD installer only shows VS2005, and then all options from vS2013 onwards (even if not installed).
Versions before VS2013 are no longer shown, if they are not detected to be installed (the installer already does this for a couple of releases). This is to avoid a long list of ancient versions that very few use and that are only partly supported anyway. The installer even detects VS.NET 2003.
Mar 24
parent ShadoLight <ettienne.gilbert gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 at 12:44:38 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
 On 24/03/2020 12:01, ShadoLight wrote:
 On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 at 10:55:28 UTC, ShadoLight wrote:
 On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 09:54:46 UTC, Rainer Schuetze 
 wrote:
 Hi,

 a new version of Visual D, the Visual Studio extension that 
 adds D language support to VS2008-2019, is available at
[snip]
[snip]
 Versions before VS2013 are no longer shown, if they are not 
 detected to be installed (the installer already does this for a 
 couple of releases). This is to avoid a long list of ancient 
 versions that very few use and that are only partly supported 
 anyway. The installer even detects VS.NET 2003.
OK, that explains the symptoms. No issue then. VS.NET 2003 ...?? Wow, amazing to think that VisualD has been around for that long!
Mar 24