digitalmars.D - Register article mentions D - maybe

reply Greg Vanore <Greg_member pathlink.com> writes:
A friend of mine sent this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/08/dtrace_user_take/

It's about a utility called DTrace, providing realtime kernel stats/monitoring
for Sun Solaris.

The interesting part of the article is that the author states that the DTrace
utility was written in D - and then also claims that the authors of DTrace take
credit for inventing it!

I wonder which is the fallacy: is this really written in D?  Did the creators
invent a different language and call it D?  Did the creators arrogantly and
falsely claim they created D?  Or did the author of the article make a mistake?

Interesting...
Jul 08 2004
next sibling parent reply Stephen Waits <steve waits.net> writes:
Greg Vanore wrote:
 A friend of mine sent this article:

 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/08/dtrace_user_take/

DTrace author's blog: http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/bmc (includes a link to his Usenix paper on DTrace) DTrace home page: http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/dtrace --Steve
Jul 08 2004
Stephen Waits wrote:
 DTrace author's blog: http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/bmc (includes a
 link to his Usenix paper on DTrace)
Further examination of the DTrace paper (http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/dtrace/dtrace_usenix.pdf) reveals that it is indeed another language named "D". Somebody want to mail them and let them know that the name "D" is taken? :) Along those same lines, has Walter done anything to legally reserve rights on that name??? From section 5 (of above linked paper): 5 D Language DTrace users can specify arbitrary predicates and actions using the high-level D programming language. D is a C-like language that supports all ANSI C operators and allows access to the kernel’s native types and global variables. D includes support for several kinds of user-defined variables, including global, clause-local, and thread-local variables and associative arrays. D programs are compiled into DIF by a compiler implemented in the DTrace library; the DIF is then bundled into an in-memory object file representation and sent to the inkernel DTrace framework for validation and probe enabling. The dtrace(1M) command provides a generic front-end to the D compiler and DTrace, but other layered tools can be built on top of the compiler library as well, such as the new implementation of lockstat(1M) described earlier. 5.1 Program Structure ... --Steve
Jul 08 2004
next sibling parent "Greg Vanore" <dazden at.dazden.dot.org> writes:
Disappointing.  It would have been neat if they had used the real D. ;)

I looked at the syntax, and it's certainly far from our D.  Although they
chose to keep printf as well.

"Stephen Waits" <steve waits.net> wrote in message
news:cckg4v$5h$1 digitaldaemon.com...
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jonathan Leffler <jleffler earthlink.net> writes:
Stephen Waits wrote:

 Stephen Waits wrote:

 DTrace author's blog: http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/bmc (includes a
 link to his Usenix paper on DTrace)
Further examination of the DTrace paper (http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/dtrace/dtrace_usenix.pdf) reveals that it is indeed another language named "D". Somebody want to mail them and let them know that the name "D" is taken? :) Along those same lines, has Walter done anything to legally reserve rights on that name???
In the circles I more usually frequent, D is the language of True Relational Database Management Systems (TRDBMS), as espoused by C J Date and H Darwen since the mid-90's. So, that makes three languages known as 'D' -- I would not be surprised to find there are others too. -- Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h> Email: jleffler earthlink.net, jleffler us.ibm.com Guardian of DBD::Informix v2003.04 -- http://dbi.perl.org/
Jul 08 2004
parent reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ccl77g$vua$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jonathan Leffler says...
In the circles I more usually frequent, D is the language of True
Relational Database Management Systems (TRDBMS), as espoused by C J
Date and H Darwen since the mid-90's.  So, that makes three languages
known as 'D' -- I would not be surprised to find there are others too.
And over at http://www.erights.org/, you'll learn all about the E programming language, the the "secure distributed pure-object platform and p2p scripting language for writing Capability-based Smart Contracts." Jill -- "Well, so much for Enterprise E." "We barely knew her. "Think they'll build another?" "There's plenty more letters in the alphabet." Beverly Crusher and Jean Luc Picard, Star Trek First Contact
Jul 09 2004
Arcane Jill wrote:
 And over at http://www.erights.org/, you'll learn all about the E programming
 language, the the "secure distributed pure-object platform and p2p scripting
 language for writing Capability-based Smart Contracts."
Wow.. During the "dot.boom" there was a dot.com speak generator thing which would come up with random things about like this. --Steve
Jul 09 2004
parent reply pragma <EricAnderton at yahoo dot com> <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ccmjq1$298$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Stephen Waits says...
Arcane Jill wrote:
 And over at http://www.erights.org/, you'll learn all about the E programming
 language, the the "secure distributed pure-object platform and p2p scripting
 language for writing Capability-based Smart Contracts."
Wow.. During the "dot.boom" there was a dot.com speak generator thing which would come up with random things about like this. --Steve
My first thought was: "someone coded such a thing? Sweet." So ask google, and ye shall receive: http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html http://mba.vanderbilt.edu/mike.shor/Humor/MBAWriter/ (java servlet) Enjoy, - Pragma
Jul 09 2004
next sibling parent "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
:-)

That MBA writer is great! Sounds rather like the "SpeakServer" I think Steve
was referring to. Shame it's not online anymore ...

"pragma" <EricAnderton at yahoo dot compragma_member pathlink.com> wrote in
message news:ccmlhb$5a4$1 digitaldaemon.com...
Arcane Jill wrote:
 And over at http://www.erights.org/, you'll learn all about the E
programming
 language, the the "secure distributed pure-object platform and p2p
scripting
 language for writing Capability-based Smart Contracts."
Wow.. During the "dot.boom" there was a dot.com speak generator thing which would come up with random things about like this. --Steve
My first thought was: "someone coded such a thing? Sweet." So ask google, and ye shall receive: http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html http://mba.vanderbilt.edu/mike.shor/Humor/MBAWriter/ (java servlet) Enjoy, - Pragma
Jul 09 2004
prev sibling parent "Bent Rasmussen" <exo bent-rasmussen.info> writes:
Here's what I got:

"e-enable viral technologies"

:-)
Jul 10 2004
prev sibling parent reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cckg4v$5h$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Stephen Waits says...

  :)  Along those same lines, has Walter done anything to legally
reserve rights on that name???
You can't trademark a letter of the alphabet! If you could, Microsoft would have trademarked all twenty six letters decades ago, and would by now be charging everyone royalties for everything ever written in Latin script. A couple of years back, ISO tried to charge royalites on ISO language and country codes. Since these are part of the XML and HTML spec, this would have affected pretty much the entire internet. They backed down due worldwide outrage. Now, I have a patent somewhere for the wheel... <g> Jill
Jul 08 2004
parent Charlie <Charlie_member pathlink.com> writes:
In an old onion article :).

Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes
REDMOND, WA—In what CEO Bill Gates called "an unfortunate but necessary step to
protect our intellectual property from theft and exploitation by competitors,"
the Microsoft Corporation patented...
3311 | 25 March 1998 | News

In article <cclfbs$1cjo$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Arcane Jill says...
In article <cckg4v$5h$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Stephen Waits says...

  :)  Along those same lines, has Walter done anything to legally
reserve rights on that name???
You can't trademark a letter of the alphabet! If you could, Microsoft would have trademarked all twenty six letters decades ago, and would by now be charging everyone royalties for everything ever written in Latin script. A couple of years back, ISO tried to charge royalites on ISO language and country codes. Since these are part of the XML and HTML spec, this would have affected pretty much the entire internet. They backed down due worldwide outrage. Now, I have a patent somewhere for the wheel... <g> Jill
Jul 10 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
D is the name of a Sun internal language. It was invented named after Walter's
D.

"Greg Vanore" <Greg_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cckf6h$307j$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 A friend of mine sent this article:

 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/08/dtrace_user_take/

 It's about a utility called DTrace, providing realtime kernel stats/monitoring
 for Sun Solaris.

 The interesting part of the article is that the author states that the DTrace
 utility was written in D - and then also claims that the authors of DTrace take
 credit for inventing it!

 I wonder which is the fallacy: is this really written in D?  Did the creators
 invent a different language and call it D?  Did the creators arrogantly and
 falsely claim they created D?  Or did the author of the article make a mistake?

 Interesting...
Jul 08 2004
prev sibling parent reply Stephen Waits <steve waits.net> writes:
FYI: