digitalmars.D - Integrated Debugger

reply "David Barrett" <dbarrett quinthar.com> writes:
I see there are a bunch of IDEs that give syntax highlighting, intellisense,
and so on.  However, I can't find any that offer integrated debugging.

Does any IDE offer integrated debugging, including:
- Breakpoints
- Watches
- Run/Break/Step In/Step Over/Step Out
- ... etc ...

In my dream world I could install some Visual Studio plug-in, and it'd allow
me to develop in C++ and D, compile both into a single executable, and debug
all together.

Next best would be using Visual Studio for just D programming, even if I
can't seamlessly switch between C++ and D.

Next best would be some IDE that that lets me code, compile, and debug all
in one.

Basically, I'm not a fan of command-line debuggers, nor am I fan of *no*
debugger.

Any suggestions for a Visual Studio C++ programmer like me who wants to
switch to D?

-david
Jul 07 2004
next sibling parent reply Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 20:49:19 -0600, David Barrett <dbarrett quinthar.com>
[...]

You can use Visual Studio to debug D binaries. It does not know about the inbuilt D arrays but with some knowledge of how they work you can get it to look at them. Attached are 2 files. 1. Instructions for using VC with D. (compiled from various sources: Arcane Jill, Myself, and Alan De Smet - http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/windev/visualstudio.html) 2. Syntax highlighting data file. Regan. -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Jul 07 2004
parent reply "David Barrett" <dbarrett quinthar.com> writes:
Thanks for the fast response; this is a huge help.

You list one way to get at the array by manually casting the high DWORD to a
(char*) pointer.  That works great, thanks for the tip.  However, that
sounds painful to do while seriously debugging.  Have you found any nifty
macros or tips to streamline the process?

Likewise, any tricks on how to manually dereference structs/classes?  Or
even better, any ideas on how to make it understand them automatically?

Thank again, this is a *huge* help.

-david

"Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> wrote in message
news:opsasuxieh5a2sq9 digitalmars.com...
[...]

next sibling parent reply "David Barrett" <dbarrett quinthar.com> writes:
Ok, I've answered the manual part of my class/struct dereferencing question.
In the D spec on the "D Application Binary Interface" page
(http://www.digitalmars.com/d/abi.html) it shows the layout of classes in
memory:

So you can manually offset the D pointer to get to the attribute you want.
Same thing for structs (without the vtable or monitor).

Unfortunately, that's still a big pain.  It'd be great to somehow convince
the Visual Studio debugger to at least dereference D structs (which are laid
out in memory exactly like C), or even D classes.

Any ideas how to automate the dereferencing for painless debugging?

-david

"David Barrett" <dbarrett quinthar.com> wrote in message
news:ccifjm$a6$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:48:57 -0600, David Barrett <dbarrett quinthar.com>
 Ok, I've answered the manual part of my class/struct dereferencing
 question.
 In the D spec on the "D Application Binary Interface" page
 (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/abi.html) it shows the layout of classes in
 memory:

 So you can manually offset the D pointer to get to the attribute you
 want.
 Same thing for structs (without the vtable or monitor).

 Unfortunately, that's still a big pain.  It'd be great to somehow
 convince
 the Visual Studio debugger to at least dereference D structs (which are
 laid
 out in memory exactly like C), or even D classes.

 Any ideas how to automate the dereferencing for painless debugging?
Sorry, no, Arcane Jill might have some ideas I believe she uses this more than I do. I gave up due to the above problems and I simply use printf now, so far I have not had to debug a large application, otherwise I'm sure I'd be at my wits end using printf all the time. Regan.

 --
parent "David Barrett" <dbarrett quinthar.com> writes:
"Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> wrote in message
news:opsaszk3it5a2sq9 digitalmars.com...
 On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:48:57 -0600, David Barrett <dbarrett quinthar.com>