digitalmars.D - Unofficial installer for D

reply Marc <marc.noirotNO flexSPAMimage.fr> writes:
Hi,

here is a Windows installation for the D compiler version 0.91 :

http://noirotm.free.fr/soft/dmd-0.91-setup.exe

- includes all the dm tools from the dmc and dmd official distributions
- optionally updates the path so dmd is available from anywhere from within the
command prompt
- optionally associates .D files with the compiler so double-clicking on a D
file will have it compiled

Hope you will enjoy,
any comment will be appreciated :)

Marc
Jun 02 2004
next sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Marc wrote:

 Hi,

 here is a Windows installation for the D compiler version 0.91 :
<snip>
 - optionally associates .D files with the compiler so double-clicking on a D
 file will have it compiled
I wonder if many people really do want it associated with the compiler rather than an editor. A further idea might be to create two actions, Open and Compile, letting the user choose an editor to open it in. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jun 02 2004
parent reply Marc <marc.noirotMOVE REfleximage.fr> writes:
In article <c9kpbc$22sl$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...
Marc wrote:

 Hi,

 here is a Windows installation for the D compiler version 0.91 :
<snip>
 - optionally associates .D files with the compiler so double-clicking on a D
 file will have it compiled
I wonder if many people really do want it associated with the compiler rather than an editor. A further idea might be to create two actions, Open and Compile, letting the user choose an editor to open it in. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Yup, i totally agree, the only issue being that everyone will want to associate D files with <Insert your favorite text editor here> so the only safe choice would be notepad... yuk
Jun 02 2004
parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Marc wrote:

<snip>
 Yup, i totally agree, the only issue being that everyone will want to associate
 D files with <Insert your favorite text editor here> so the only safe choice
 would be notepad... yuk
Not sure what you mean by that.... Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jun 02 2004
parent reply marc.noiRErot MOfleximaVEge.fr writes:
In article <c9kvl7$2c48$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...
Not sure what you mean by that....

Stewart.
just that even though notepad is the only text editor i can be sure to find on a Windows platform, noone uses it to develop, so i don't see the point to associate it with .d files. Btw, if anyone knows a nice free editor designed to work with D, i can eventually add it to my installation. - Marc
Jun 02 2004
next sibling parent reply "Miguel Ferreira Simões" <kobold netcabo.pt> writes:
DIDE www.atari-soldiers.com (is free and nice!)

<marc.noiRErot MOfleximaVEge.fr> escreveu na mensagem
news:c9l82o$2onq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <c9kvl7$2c48$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...
Not sure what you mean by that....

Stewart.
just that even though notepad is the only text editor i can be sure to
find on a
 Windows platform, noone uses it to develop, so i don't see the point to
 associate it with .d files.
 Btw, if anyone knows a nice free editor designed to work with D, i can
 eventually add it to my installation.

 -
 Marc
Jun 02 2004
parent reply "KTC" <me here.com> writes:
 DIDE www.atari-soldiers.com (is free and nice!)
Of course, that already come with an installer of it's own ;) -- Experience is a good school but the fees are high. - Heinrich Heine
Jun 02 2004
parent kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c9lomr$g14$1 digitaldaemon.com>, KTC says...
 DIDE www.atari-soldiers.com (is free and nice!)
Of course, that already come with an installer of it's own ;) -- Experience is a good school but the fees are high. - Heinrich Heine
Yes, but the DMD that comes with it is 0.86! I use it too, but he needs to make an update for it.
Jun 02 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
<marc.noiRErot MOfleximaVEge.fr> wrote in message
news:c9l82o$2onq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <c9kvl7$2c48$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...
Not sure what you mean by that....

Stewart.
just that even though notepad is the only text editor i can be sure to
find on a
 Windows platform, noone uses it to develop, so i don't see the point to
 associate it with .d files.
I use notepad for coding Java.
Jun 03 2004
parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Phill wrote:
<snip>
 I use notepad for coding Java.
Because you like Notepad for some reason? Because you can't be bothered to get yourself a better editor? Or because you haven't made up your mind which one to try out? Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jun 03 2004
parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c9mvqg$283i$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Phill wrote:
 <snip>
 I use notepad for coding Java.
Because you like Notepad for some reason? Because you can't be bothered to get yourself a better editor? Or because you haven't made up your mind which one to try out?
Sorry with all these posts being made lately, I have only just noticed your reply. I started learning Java with notepad, and was having fun, because I am only a hobby programmer I never bothered trying anything else. Then a few years later I tried Forte, and discovered that you have less control over things, than if you were to use notepad(or some other basic thing). I didnt like having to go through the code and change things(like variable names and method names and other stuff). Also I couldnt be bothered trying to learn all of the features in Forte, to make it worth while using it. I havent tried anything else beside Forte(that I can remember anyway) Besides that, I beleive that I learnt more using notepad then I would have using Forte(or some other point and click aparatus). Ah and another annoying thing I remember about Forte is that it is so damn slow, that it is frustrating. For D, I use DIDE . Phill.
Jun 09 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
marc.noiRErot MOfleximaVEge.fr wrote:
<snip>
 just that even though notepad is the only text editor i can be sure to find on
 Windows platform, noone uses it to develop, so i don't see the point to
 associate it with .d files.
<snip> That's why I suggested giving the user an opportunity to choose an editor during the installation process. What did you think I said/meant? Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jun 03 2004
prev sibling parent "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
vim

<marc.noiRErot MOfleximaVEge.fr> wrote in message
news:c9l82o$2onq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <c9kvl7$2c48$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...
Not sure what you mean by that....

Stewart.
just that even though notepad is the only text editor i can be sure to find on
 Windows platform, noone uses it to develop, so i don't see the point to
 associate it with .d files.
 Btw, if anyone knows a nice free editor designed to work with D, i can
 eventually add it to my installation.

 -
 Marc
Jun 04 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Marc wrote:

Hi,

here is a Windows installation for the D compiler version 0.91 :

http://noirotm.free.fr/soft/dmd-0.91-setup.exe

- includes all the dm tools from the dmc and dmd official distributions
- optionally updates the path so dmd is available from anywhere from within the
command prompt
- optionally associates .D files with the compiler so double-clicking on a D
file will have it compiled

Hope you will enjoy,
any comment will be appreciated :)

Marc

This is great. Now if only we can convince Walter to put it on the digitalmars compilation page. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jun 02 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Bastiaan Veelo <Bastiaan.N.Veelo ntnu.no> writes:
Marc wrote:
 Hi,

 here is a Windows installation for the D compiler version 0.91 :

 http://noirotm.free.fr/soft/dmd-0.91-setup.exe

 - includes all the dm tools from the dmc and dmd official distributions
This looks like you are distributing the dmd compiler... If that is correct, do you have a licence that allows you to do that? I thought the licence coming with dmd explicitly forbade that. Bastiaan.
Jun 01 2004
parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:

Well Charles is already doing that with DIDE (although he probably asked for permission). I'm sure Walter would be more then happy to allow the files to be used in such a way. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jun 02 2004
parent reply Marc <marc.noirotMOVE REfleximage.fr> writes:
Lots of comments to answer to :)

Well, I didn't really intend to _redistribute_ the compiler, i just proposed an
example of a convenient way to install it, and only proposed a download here,
the official D site, for testing purposes. In the end, it would only be proposed
here...
Ok, so to make everyone happy, I officially ask Walter to grant me the
permission to maintain the installer and propose it to be downloaded from this
forum. :)
The download is down while I don't have the explicit right to do so ;)

I created the installer at first to help me installing dmd on my several
machines, some of them being offline, and to avoid having all the dm, dmc, and
dmd folders at the root of the partition.

DIDE distributes the D compiler too, but doesn't give the choice where to
install it, only at C:\dmd, I think it would be perfect if it was installed on
the same partition as the IDE.

By the way, I wonder if it's a bug, or an intended feature that the compiler
doesn't work if the top folder is not located at the root (eg. C:\Program
Files\dmd\ )

The "download from installation" feature is a good idea too, for online people
and those who want a really easy update process, and not hard to implement with
Inno Setup (also used for DIDE installation)

But, as far as I just discovered DIDE today, I now think it's up to them to
distribute an updated version of all of this... having a full development
envirnonment can only be useful for D.
Jun 04 2004
parent reply Sam McCall <tunah.d tunah.net> writes:
Marc wrote:
 By the way, I wonder if it's a bug, or an intended feature that the compiler
 doesn't work if the top folder is not located at the root (eg. C:\Program
 Files\dmd\ )
I think it's the space: I've got mine in D:\programs\dmd\. Sam
Jun 06 2004
parent Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ca0l0u$1257$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sam McCall says...
Marc wrote:
 By the way, I wonder if it's a bug, or an intended feature that the compiler
 doesn't work if the top folder is not located at the root (eg. C:\Program
 Files\dmd\ )
I think it's the space: I've got mine in D:\programs\dmd\. Sam
If that's true, you can probably fool it by telling it the path is C:\PROGRA~1\dmd. Arcane Jill
Jun 06 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Marc wrote:

Hi,

here is a Windows installation for the D compiler version 0.91 :

http://noirotm.free.fr/soft/dmd-0.91-setup.exe

- includes all the dm tools from the dmc and dmd official distributions
- optionally updates the path so dmd is available from anywhere from within the
command prompt
- optionally associates .D files with the compiler so double-clicking on a D
file will have it compiled

Hope you will enjoy,
any comment will be appreciated :)

Marc
I think it would be better if the program downloaded dmd directly from the website. That way you wouldn't need to keep updating it all the time. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jun 02 2004
next sibling parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:c9mbb6$1bg9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Marc wrote:

Hi,

here is a Windows installation for the D compiler version 0.91 :

http://noirotm.free.fr/soft/dmd-0.91-setup.exe

- includes all the dm tools from the dmc and dmd official distributions
- optionally updates the path so dmd is available from anywhere from
within the
command prompt
- optionally associates .D files with the compiler so double-clicking on
a D
file will have it compiled

Hope you will enjoy,
any comment will be appreciated :)

Marc
I think it would be better if the program downloaded dmd directly from the website. That way you wouldn't need to keep updating it all the time.
Good suggestion!
Jun 03 2004
prev sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
J Anderson wrote:

<snip>
 I think it would be better if the program downloaded dmd directly from
 the website.  That way you wouldn't need to keep updating it all the time.
As an alternative version. Having DMD bundled is handy for people whose Internet connection and D programming environment are in separate places. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jun 03 2004
parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Stewart Gordon wrote:

 J Anderson wrote:

 <snip>

 I think it would be better if the program downloaded dmd directly
 from the website.  That way you wouldn't need to keep updating it all
 the time.
As an alternative version. Having DMD bundled is handy for people whose Internet connection and D programming environment are in separate places. Stewart.
That it is. I'm just afraid that it would be wouldn't be maintained, although I'd still recommend both versions. Another advantage of the download version is that you could use it as an automatic updater. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jun 03 2004
parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
J Anderson wrote:

<snip>
 That it is.  I'm just afraid that it would be wouldn't be maintained,
 although I'd still recommend both versions.

 Another advantage of the download version is that you could use it as an
 automatic updater.
A further idea would be a way to automatically compile and run a user-defined set of unit tests on updating. This would help to see which bugs are still there. OK, so the change log lists fixes, but sometimes it's nice to actually see it working for a change and/or check that a purported fix is 'finished'. Not to mention check for regressions, if they're ever likely to happen.... Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jun 03 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Marco A <Marco_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c9kku0$1s67$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Marc says...
Hi,

here is a Windows installation for the D compiler version 0.91 :

http://noirotm.free.fr/soft/dmd-0.91-setup.exe
not there June 3

Jun 03 2004
prev sibling parent "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"Marc" <marc.noirotNO flexSPAMimage.fr> wrote in message
news:c9kku0$1s67$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi,

 here is a Windows installation for the D compiler version 0.91 :

 http://noirotm.free.fr/soft/dmd-0.91-setup.exe

 - includes all the dm tools from the dmc and dmd official distributions
 - optionally updates the path so dmd is available from anywhere from within the
 command prompt
 - optionally associates .D files with the compiler so double-clicking on a D
 file will have it compiled
That's really not a good idea. A proper build system is always preferable, even if you write a Ruby script to "intelligently" generate the make scripts for it.