digitalmars.D - GUI questions

reply "Miguel Ferreira Simões" <kobold netcabo.pt> writes:
what's the best GUI for windows at the moment? (unDig, DFC, DUI)...

Can you compare them, and tell me the differences between them.
Jun 02 2004
next sibling parent "Miguel Ferreira Simões" <kobold netcabo.pt> writes:
And if possible add comments for Andy's Dfbth.

Miguel
Jun 02 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Miguel Ferreira Simões wrote:

 what's the best GUI for windows at the moment? (unDig, DFC, DUI)...
Depends on what you want out of it.
 Can you compare them, and tell me the differences between them.
There seem to be two main kinds of GUI libraries. There are the thin layers over the Windows API, such as DFC and SDWF. And then there are the higher-level libs that seem to remind me of Java AWT such as dig and DUI. I've had looks at the sites, but haven't experimented with the various libs themselves apart from my own (i.e. SDWF). Maybe someone else has and'll be able to give a better comparison.
 And if possible add comments for Andy's Dfbth.
The only comment I can really make is that I hadn't heard of that one. Meanwhile, you could always take a look at them and see what you think. Hopefully the downloads include non-trivial example code, but I haven't checked. If you haven't discovered it already, this page should get you started: http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?AvailableGuiLibraries Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jun 02 2004
parent reply "Miguel Ferreira Simões" <kobold netcabo.pt> writes:
Thanks! I've dowload unDig... and I find it cool.

I run the examples and played a little... but I could not understand why a
dos mode window is popped up during the
initialization. Isn't it supposed to appear only one window (the program
one)?

Miguel

"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> escreveu na mensagem
news:c9kp1t$22b7$1 digitaldaemon.com...

next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Miguel Ferreira Simões wrote:

Thanks! I've dowload unDig... and I find it cool.

I run the examples and played a little... but I could not understand why a
dos mode window is popped up during the
initialization. Isn't it supposed to appear only one window (the program
one)?

It is used for debugging. It can easily be removed by adding /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS to the linking stage (link.exe). -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jun 02 2004
parent "Miguel Ferreira Simões" <kobold netcabo.pt> writes:
Thanks!!! I was getting worried...

"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> escreveu na mensagem
news:c9ksnn$27mq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Miguel Ferreira Simões wrote:

Thanks! I've dowload unDig... and I find it cool.

I run the examples and played a little... but I could not understand why
dos mode window is popped up during the
initialization. Isn't it supposed to appear only one window (the program
one)?
It is used for debugging. It can easily be removed by adding /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS to the linking stage (link.exe). -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jun 02 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Bruno A. Costa" <bruno codata.com.br> writes:
The problem with some GUI toolkits is that they are not portable.

It would be very nice if all developers had portability in mind.

Cheers,

Bruno.

parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Bruno A. Costa wrote:

 The problem with some GUI toolkits is that they are not portable.
It is also the design of some GUI toolkits.
 It would be very nice if all developers had portability in mind.
<snip top of upside-down reply> Portability has its downsides. For example, it limits how close you can stay to the API for simplicity, efficiency or other reasons. Hence whether you'll want to port your program or not is a contributing factor to the decision of which library to use. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jun 02 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Miguel Ferreira Simões" <kobold netcabo.pt> writes:
When I was playing with the code I got a compiler error code: 128. It does
not display any additional text message.
What's that?

Miguel
Jun 02 2004
parent "Miguel Ferreira Simões" <kobold netcabo.pt> writes:
oops... never mind.

"Miguel Ferreira Simões" <kobold netcabo.pt> escreveu na mensagem
news:c9l78d$2nel$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 When I was playing with the code I got a compiler error code: 128. It does
 not display any additional text message.
 What's that?

 Miguel
Jun 02 2004
prev sibling parent Anon to Protect the Guilty <Anon_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c9kk4n$1r5d$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Miguel Ferreira Simões says...
what's the best GUI for windows at the moment? (unDig, DFC, DUI)...

Can you compare them, and tell me the differences between them.
Yes, I can, and so can you.
Jun 02 2004