D - feature request(s).

reply Evan McClanahan <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> writes:
I thought of a simple way to do the multi-lib thing for the
moment(phobos,etc.).  Add a compiler switch to define which phobos.lib
to link. -p or something like that.  If it wasn't there, it would just
revert to the default behavior if the switch wasn't there.  This would
make it a lot simpler to have several versions of phobos in use.

A switch to replace snn.lib could also be an option, if that library is
open source.  If you want it to be opaque, it would be nice for you to
define what things it provides to D, so someone writing another
implementation would know what it does.

Another thing that would be nice is to have better documentation on how
exactly the GC is interfaced  with D itself, so one it'd be easier to
completely replace, should someone feel the need(where new/delete are
defined, what exactly they call, how and when the scanning is done,
etc.).  Anyway, let me know what you think.

Evan
Nov 17 2002
parent reply "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> writes:
"Evan McClanahan" <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:ar88aa$i18$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 I thought of a simple way to do the multi-lib thing for the
 moment(phobos,etc.).  Add a compiler switch to define which phobos.lib
 to link. -p or something like that.  If it wasn't there, it would just
 revert to the default behavior if the switch wasn't there.  This would
 make it a lot simpler to have several versions of phobos in use.
HI, I like the idea! It makes life & experiments a lot easier.
 A switch to replace snn.lib could also be an option, if that library is
 open source.  If you want it to be opaque, it would be nice for you to
 define what things it provides to D, so someone writing another
 implementation would know what it does.
I second this one too.
 Another thing that would be nice is to have better documentation on how
 exactly the GC is interfaced  with D itself, so one it'd be easier to
 completely replace, should someone feel the need(where new/delete are
 defined, what exactly they call, how and when the scanning is done,
 etc.).  Anyway, let me know what you think.
And again I agree. IMO it would be greate value to D if the GC could be switched. First you could use GCs with different strategies depening on your application. And further it enables us to do our own research in this area without having to implement a complete compiler. Robert
Nov 17 2002
"Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> wrote in message
news:ara3oj$29jc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 And again I agree. IMO it would be greate value to D if the GC could be
 switched. First you could use GCs with different strategies depening on
your
 application. And further it enables us to do our own research in this area
 without having to implement a complete compiler. Robert
The gc code is separated out in phobos; phobos itself incorporates dmgc.lib. You can write your own gc and insert it if you want. -Walter
Nov 19 2002