D - Newbie Hello - Duh

reply "chris jones" <flak clara.co.uk> writes:
Hi, i just found out about D and it sounds very promising :) I am a Delphi
programer, I did start learning C++ but i gave up for alot of the same
reason that are listed as the motivation for creating D. the first language
learnt was  BBC Basic back in the days of 8 bit cpus and 32k memory :) since
then i have learnt Java and Delphi. I have done a fair share of assembler on
the StrongArm(Risc), x86 and whatever my old BBC computer was 6052 i
think?). Anyway as this is my first post i hope my comments are not out of
date now :) I have had a lot of stuff bubling round my head since i looked
at the specs.

So first thought - the name 'D'

I think D is not a good name, it is better than 'Digital Mars Language' or
even 'Mars' and i can see why people prefered to call it D over that but i
still think it should be somthing else. Somthing forward looking.

And is not D already in use by an existing language?

C++ = D doesn't it?

and D is the internation sound for stupididy! Duh, Doh, Dumb, Dunce, Dullard
ect...

So why not have a competition to come up with a name for it, you could run
it
on the website and have some voting and a way to submit names and if no
decent names turns up then you can always carry on calling it D.

Somthing short and snappy and fairly irelivant with no baggage. Imo Java is
a great name because its catchy memorable and totaly irelivant. D needs a
nice name like that.

Some *humorous* sugestions i have so far

D Object Orientated Model -- to be abreviated DOOM ;)
Pro++
!C++
Kevin
D Kapital - (built by programers for programers)

best wishes

chris
Sep 05 2002
next sibling parent reply "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
I think the name D, will be a big marketing point for D.  It's the only
reason I gained interest in it. There are lots of new C/C++ languages, but
the name D says it all in one go.
"anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> wrote in message
news:al9mfe$2jjb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think the name D, will be a big marketing point for D.  It's the only
 reason I gained interest in it. There are lots of new C/C++ languages, but
 the name D says it all in one go.
The original idea was to call it the Mars programming language, but everyone jokingly called it D so we all accepted reality <g>.
Sep 06 2002
next sibling parent reply "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
I know that (it's on your website somewhere). If it had been called Mars I
don't think I would have been as interested. There are lots of other
"improvement on C languages" out there. The main reason I like C is the huge
amount of resources and support, I hope D will go that way.  I think the
name D is much more marketable then Mars, simply because it implies "better
then C" (even know that's not the real reason for naming it D....).

Are there any legal issues behind using the name D?
I wonder why no one else has used the language name D before.

news:alaj71$2kle$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> wrote in message
 news:al9mfe$2jjb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think the name D, will be a big marketing point for D.  It's the only
 reason I gained interest in it. There are lots of new C/C++ languages,
but
 the name D says it all in one go.
The original idea was to call it the Mars programming language, but
everyone
 jokingly called it D so we all accepted reality <g>.
"anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> wrote in message
news:alasch$h8f$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I know that (it's on your website somewhere). If it had been called Mars I
 don't think I would have been as interested. There are lots of other
 "improvement on C languages" out there. The main reason I like C is the
huge
 amount of resources and support, I hope D will go that way.  I think the
 name D is much more marketable then Mars, simply because it implies
"better
 then C" (even know that's not the real reason for naming it D....).
Yes, you're right. Once I realized that, calling it D was a done deal.
 Are there any legal issues behind using the name D?
 I wonder why no one else has used the language name D before.
There is no way to trademark a single letter (Zilog tried that and failed). Most companies want a name they can trademark. The idea of D being a successor language to C goes back at least as far as 1988, as you can verify with a Google search. Due to those two reasons, and some more legalistic ones, D is on solid legal ground being called D.
Sep 06 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
I like either Mars or Bright as names.  D is fine too.  Whatever.

news:alaj71$2kle$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> wrote in message
 news:al9mfe$2jjb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think the name D, will be a big marketing point for D.  It's the only
 reason I gained interest in it. There are lots of new C/C++ languages,
but
 the name D says it all in one go.
The original idea was to call it the Mars programming language, but
everyone
 jokingly called it D so we all accepted reality <g>.
Sep 08 2002
prev sibling parent reply "Sandor Hojtsy" <hojtsy index.hu> writes:
news:alaj71$2kle$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> wrote in message
 news:al9mfe$2jjb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think the name D, will be a big marketing point for D.  It's the only
 reason I gained interest in it. There are lots of new C/C++ languages,
but
 the name D says it all in one go.
The original idea was to call it the Mars programming language, but
everyone
 jokingly called it D so we all accepted reality <g>.
I was trying to find some specific info about D on the internet. Now you go to your search page, and put in a few words about the specific info and the letter "D" into the search query. You have absolutely no chance to find D related pages this way. Try the same with "java". That's why I would like anything better than the name "D". Sandor
Sep 09 2002
next sibling parent reply "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
BrightD, was suggested by Pavel.  D could simply be the shortend name.
Nobody goes searching for "gl", they normally use the name "openGL".

news:alhmbl$2rfk$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent reply Pavel Minayev <evilone omen.ru> writes:
anderson wrote:

 BrightD, was suggested by Pavel.
Hm... I didn't! =) I always call it D - short and clear. Don't remember who was the original author of BrightD, though (then maybe just call it Bright?).
Sep 09 2002
parent "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
Sorry, I forget who it was. It wan't me, but I think it's a good idea.

"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:alicbg$aou$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Patrick Down <pat codemoon.com> writes:
"Sandor Hojtsy" <hojtsy index.hu> wrote in
news:alhmbl$2rfk$1 digitaldaemon.com:

 I was trying to find some specific info about D on the internet. Now
 you go to your search page, and put in a few words about the specific
 info and the letter "D" into the search query. You have absolutely no
 chance to find D related pages this way. Try the same with "java".
 That's why I would like anything better than the name "D".

 Sandor
Yes it's hard to search for stuff on D. I use "D language" as as search term but it's not a perfect solution.
Sep 09 2002
 "Sandor Hojtsy" <hojtsy index.hu> wrote in
 news:alhmbl$2rfk$1 digitaldaemon.com:

I was trying to find some specific info about D on the internet. Now
you go to your search page, and put in a few words about the specific
info and the letter "D" into the search query. You have absolutely no
chance to find D related pages this way. Try the same with "java".
That's why I would like anything better than the name "D".

Sandor
Yes it's hard to search for stuff on D. I use "D language" as as search term but it's not a perfect solution.
C has the same problem, in my experience...
Sep 09 2002
parent "Sandor Hojtsy" <hojtsy index.hu> writes:
 "Sandor Hojtsy" <hojtsy index.hu> wrote in
 news:alhmbl$2rfk$1 digitaldaemon.com:

I was trying to find some specific info about D on the internet. Now
you go to your search page, and put in a few words about the specific
info and the letter "D" into the search query. You have absolutely no
chance to find D related pages this way. Try the same with "java".
That's why I would like anything better than the name "D".

Sandor
Yes it's hard to search for stuff on D. I use "D language" as as search term but it's not a perfect solution.
Yes and all kinds of "Ph D." and similiar comes up.
 C has the same problem, in my experience...
True. And also C++, because the plus sign is handled as special by all search engines. But now we have the power to solve this problem "at it's root". Or is the name set already too firmly?
"Sandor Hojtsy" <hojtsy index.hu> wrote in message
news:alhmbl$2rfk$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I was trying to find some specific info about D on the internet. Now you
go
 to your search page, and put in a few words about the specific info and
the
 letter "D" into the search query. You have absolutely no chance to find D
 related pages this way. Try the same with "java". That's why I would like
 anything better than the name "D".
I get good results by searching for "D programming language" or "programming language D".
Sep 10 2002
 I think D is not a good name, it is better than 'Digital Mars Language' or
 even 'Mars' and i can see why people prefered to call it D over that but i
 still think it should be somthing else. Somthing forward looking.

 And is not D already in use by an existing language?

 C++ = D doesn't it?
Somepeople suggested C+=2, but that was harder to say.
 and D is the internation sound for stupididy! Duh, Doh, Dumb, Dunce, Dullard
 ect...
I like the name D because it makes for such amusing conversations. Just try to say "D compiler" without actually saying "decompiler"... :)
Sep 06 2002
next sibling parent reply Pavel Minayev <evilone omen.ru> writes:
Russell Lewis wrote:

 I like the name D because it makes for such amusing conversations.  Just
 try to say "D compiler" without actually saying "decompiler"... :)
Depends on the language you're speaking. =) Still, in English, it allows for some nice terms, like D-velopment, D-bugger (what would that mean? =)), Doc etc
Sep 06 2002
 I like the name D because it makes for such amusing conversations.
 Just try to say "D compiler" without actually saying "decompiler"... :)
Depends on the language you're speaking. =) Still, in English, it allows for some nice terms, like D-velopment, D-bugger (what would that mean? =)), Doc etc
What about DOS? hehe
 I like the name D because it makes for such amusing conversations.
 Just try to say "D compiler" without actually saying "decompiler"... :)
Depends on the language you're speaking. =) Still, in English, it allows for some nice terms, like D-velopment, D-bugger (what would that mean? =)), Doc etc
What about DOS? hehe
Somebody's got to do a Dnile project <g>.
Sep 10 2002
parent reply "Robert W. Cunningham" <FlyPG users.sourceforge.net> writes:
Walter wrote:

 I like the name D because it makes for such amusing conversations.
 Just try to say "D compiler" without actually saying "decompiler"... :)
Depends on the language you're speaking. =) Still, in English, it allows for some nice terms, like D-velopment, D-bugger (what would that mean? =)), Doc etc
What about DOS? hehe
Somebody's got to do a Dnile project <g>.
What would D-liver taste like?
Sep 10 2002
parent john weirich <letron_2000 yahoo.com> writes:
Is there a d-void type?

D-velopment, D-bugger (what would that mean? =)), Doc etc
What about DOS? hehe
Somebody's got to do a Dnile project <g>.
What would D-liver taste like?
 I like the name D because it makes for such amusing conversations.
My favorite is the slashdot poster who wrote "Great, just what I need.. another D in programming."
Sep 06 2002