D - TestGL tiny OpenGL testbed

reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
I got my tiny OpenGL testbed app working in D!  YES!  Only took one day
total, and most of that was making the windows API's that it uses available.
I must say that if anything it looks cleaner in D than in C++.  It's in the
attached zip file if anyone cares to try it.

Walter, you should consider adding these win*.d files to your windows.d in
phobos.  I mainly only got the ones this sample needed, but they are some of
the most common windows functions.  Also I went back and tried to make
unicode support (using version statement) but haven't tested that yet.

This is a rough first draft.  If I had GLU32.LIB that worked I'd put in
texture support and better error reporting.

Walter have you ever considered making printf (for Windows native mode apps,
as opposed to Console apps) to call OutputDebugString?  Windows apps don't
really have a stdout, so printf just goes into the bit bucket.

Sean
May 27 2002
parent reply "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
I get an kernel32.lib error. Parhaps you could send me your version of
kernel32.lib.

F:\D\TestGL>run
F:\D\TestGL>cd f:\d\testgl
F:\D\TestGL>f:\dmd\bin\shell makeTestGL.sh
shell 1.00
copy \dmd\lib\phobos.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
copy \dmd\lib\snn.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
copy \dmd\lib\opengl32.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
copy \dmd\lib\user32.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
copy \dmd\lib\gdi32.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
copy \dmd\lib\kernel32.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
\dmd\bin\dmd -c testgl -I\dmd\src\phobos
D ALPHA Experimental release
www.digitalmars.com
\dmd\src\phobos\windows.d: symbol HICON symbol windows.HICON conflicts with
wing
di.HICON at wingdi.d

--- errorlevel 1

F:\D\TestGL>run

F:\D\TestGL>cd f:\d\testgl

F:\D\TestGL>f:\dmd\bin\shell makeTestGL.sh
shell 1.00
copy \dmd\lib\phobos.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
copy \dmd\lib\snn.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
copy \dmd\lib\opengl32.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
copy \dmd\lib\user32.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
copy \dmd\lib\gdi32.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
copy \dmd\lib\kernel32.lib
        1 file(s) copied.
\dmd\bin\dmd -c testgl -I\dmd\src\phobos
D ALPHA Experimental release
www.digitalmars.com

\dmd\bin\dmd -c winbase -I\dmd\src\phobos
D ALPHA Experimental release
www.digitalmars.com

\dmd\bin\dmd -c wingdi -I\dmd\src\phobos
D ALPHA Experimental release
www.digitalmars.com

\dmd\bin\dmd -c winuser -I\dmd\src\phobos
D ALPHA Experimental release
www.digitalmars.com

\dmd\bin\sc -WA testgl.obj winbase.obj wingdi.obj winuser.obj opengl32.lib
kerne
l32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib -L/map
link
testgl+winbase+wingdi+winuser,,,opengl32+kernel32+user32+gdi32+user32+kerne
l32/noi/map;
OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 7.50B1
Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989 - 2001  All Rights Reserved

kernel32.lib
 Error 43: Not a Valid Library File

--- errorlevel 1

--- errorlevel 1

"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:acv118$ndo$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
You're probably using Pavel's windows.d instead of what comes with phobos.

I just got kernel32.lib from the dm\lib folder, nothing special.

Sean

"anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> wrote in message
news:acv9il$11a3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

May 28 2002
parent "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
Oh, I was getting from VC++ thanks. I'm seeing triangles :)

What would be really nice is an automatic D installer, perhaps one with
patches or one of those fancy Internet ones that determine what updates are
needed. There's heaps of free ones around and when I get time I'll have a
look into it if you would like.

But I've never heard of a computer illiterate programmer ( perhaps a MAC
user (; )

--
PS - Walter you remind me of Steven Glanville (www.anim8or.com) because your
both really nice, hardworking guys working a huge program/project

news:ad0i6s$2vap$1 digitaldaemon.com...