D - Conflicting argument types that don't conflict?

reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
I've got an error message that I wish was more helpful. I wonder if
anyone has run into a similar problem before (and found a solution).

direct.d(548): function Blt (tagRECT *,IDirectDrawSurface ,tagRECT
*,uint,DDBLTFX *) does not match argument types (tagRECT
*,IDirectDrawSurface ,tagRECT *,uint,DDBLTFX *)

Allow me to break it down:

(tagRECT *,IDirectDrawSurface ,tagRECT *,uint,DDBLTFX *)
     ||         ||                  ||      ||    ||
(tagRECT *,IDirectDrawSurface ,tagRECT *,uint,DDBLTFX *)

They look to be identical to me.

I think the problem might be interface-related (Blt is defined in an
interface), but I'm unsure what exactly the problem is. The code is
spread across several modules, so that is probably part of the problem.

It's possible that the data types are defined in different places with
slightly different definitions, but this code used to compile so I do
suspect a subtle compiler bug. I'll probably try to put together a bug
report, but it'll probably take some time to pare it down and I'm not
looking forward to it.

--
Justin
http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
next sibling parent reply Dave Sieber <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> writes:
J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> wrote:

 I've got an error message that I wish was more helpful. I wonder if
 anyone has run into a similar problem before (and found a solution).
Yes, I had this same thing, and I was puzzled for a while. It turned out that there was an overload of the function (with different arguments) somewhere else, and I had to qualify the function call, either with the explicit module name, or with '.', as in ".printf()". I'm sorry I don't have the details -- I fixed it and moved on. But one of the above should resolve it. It was something that bothered me, as I really felt it should have worked as written. It was "unintuitive" (as it seems to be for you too) because I had to sit down and try to figure out the reasoning behind the error. -- dave
Apr 07 2004
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Dave Sieber wrote:
 J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> wrote:

I've got an error message that I wish was more helpful. I wonder if
anyone has run into a similar problem before (and found a solution).
Yes, I had this same thing, and I was puzzled for a while. It turned out that there was an overload of the function (with different arguments) somewhere else, and I had to qualify the function call, either with the explicit module name, or with '.', as in ".printf()". I'm sorry I don't have the details -- I fixed it and moved on. But one of the above should resolve it.
That's how I treat errors that I fix, too: problem solved, case closed. Thanks for the suggestion. I can only find one Blt, though. And I think I've casted everything that I can cast and it still doesn't work. /* from win32\directx\directdraw.d */ interface IDirectDrawSurface : IUnknown { /*** IUnknown methods ***/ // HRESULT QueryInterface( REFIID riid, LPVOID * ppvObj); // ULONG AddRef(); // ULONG Release(); /*** IDirectDrawSurface methods ***/ HRESULT AddAttachedSurface( LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE ); HRESULT AddOverlayDirtyRect( LPRECT ); HRESULT Blt( LPRECT,LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE, LPRECT,DWORD, LPDDBLTFX ); HRESULT BltBatch( LPDDBLTBATCH, DWORD, DWORD ); HRESULT BltFast( DWORD,DWORD,LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE, LPRECT,DWORD ); HRESULT DeleteAttachedSurface( DWORD,LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE ); // other methods ... } /* from win32\directx\direct.d */ primSurface.Blt(cast(jcc7.win32.wtypes.tagRECT*) &destination, cast(IDirectDrawSurface) backingSurface, cast(tagRECT*) &source, cast(uint) DDBLT_WAIT, cast(DDBLTFX*) null ); By the way, I'm working with code that I downloaded rather than stuff I've written myself from scratch, so there's a reasonable chance that I just don't know what I'm doing. :)

 It was something that bothered me, as I really felt it should have worked
 as written. It was "unintuitive" (as it seems to be for you too) because I
 had to sit down and try to figure out the reasoning behind the error.

-- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Apr 07 2004
parent reply "Derek Parnell" <Derek.Parnell psyc.ward> writes:
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:23:31 -0500 (08/Apr/04 10:23:31 AM)
 I've got an error message that I wish was more helpful. I wonder if
 anyone has run into a similar problem before (and found a solution).
Yes, I had this same thing, and I was puzzled for a while. It turned out that there was an overload of the function (with different arguments) somewhere else, and I had to qualify the function call, either with the explicit module name, or with '.', as in ".printf()". I'm sorry I don't have the details -- I fixed it and moved on. But one of the above should resolve it.
That's how I treat errors that I fix, too: problem solved, case closed. Thanks for the suggestion. I can only find one Blt, though. And I think I've casted everything that I can cast and it still doesn't work.
Can you rename the Blt function you found. If there is only one, then references to it should fail with an unknown function message. -- Derek
Apr 07 2004