www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

D - What is missing for 1.0 (was: the root Object, and printf)

reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
So what is missing so we can call it 1.0?
(excluding obvious bugs)

dmd:
- interfaces
- clean compiler messages
- compiler don't give up on first error
- array literal expressions
---------
phobos:
- at least the linux version has to catchup to windows!
- severe bugs (like std.zip and std.date)

obviously the OO guys can't live without
the full implementation of the interfaces
as Kris referred and Burton has noticed before.

for now I can't remember anything else but
my projects are filled with work arround solutions
for old problems.

Ant
Apr 07 2004
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c51n04$11q0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 So what is missing so we can call it 1.0?
 (excluding obvious bugs)

 dmd:
 - interfaces
 - clean compiler messages
 - compiler don't give up on first error
 - array literal expressions
 ---------
 phobos:
 - at least the linux version has to catchup to windows!
 - severe bugs (like std.zip and std.date)

 obviously the OO guys can't live without
 the full implementation of the interfaces
 as Kris referred and Burton has noticed before.

 for now I can't remember anything else but
 my projects are filled with work arround solutions
 for old problems.

If you've got workarounds for std.zip and std.date, can you take a look at the sources to them and suggest a fix?
Apr 07 2004
parent reply Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:23:13 -0700, Walter wrote:

 
 If you've got workarounds for std.zip and std.date, can you take a look at
 the sources to them and suggest a fix?

I don't. maybe I'll take a look at it anyway... I can't imagine the problem with std.date being complex... (but, I have many ideas and so little time...) Ant
Apr 07 2004
parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Ant" <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:pan.2004.04.08.02.05.54.917379 yahoo.ca...
 On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:23:13 -0700, Walter wrote:

 If you've got workarounds for std.zip and std.date, can you take a look


 the sources to them and suggest a fix?

I don't. maybe I'll take a look at it anyway... I can't imagine the problem with std.date being complex... (but, I have many ideas and so little time...)

I'd appreciate it!
Apr 07 2004
parent Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:03:45 -0700, Walter wrote:

 
 "Ant" <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> wrote in message
 news:pan.2004.04.08.02.05.54.917379 yahoo.ca...
 On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:23:13 -0700, Walter wrote:

 If you've got workarounds for std.zip and std.date, can you take a look


 the sources to them and suggest a fix?

I don't. maybe I'll take a look at it anyway... I can't imagine the problem with std.date being complex... (but, I have many ideas and so little time...)

I'd appreciate it!

I'm happy to say that I send the corrections to both problems to Walter. Ant
Apr 08 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
- clean compiler messages
- compiler don't give up on first error

You've made a C/C++ compiler that works fine in this area, so why can't the D compiler?
phobos:
- at least the linux version has to catchup to windows!

last I checked, it was still at version 0.77
Apr 07 2004
parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"kinghajj" <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c5226d$1k1g$1 digitaldaemon.com...
- clean compiler messages
- compiler don't give up on first error

You've made a C/C++ compiler that works fine in this area, so why can't the D compiler?
phobos:
- at least the linux version has to catchup to windows!

last I checked, it was still at version 0.77

The linux front end is at the same version as the windows one.
Apr 08 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
Object.print, and it's use of printf  :-)


"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c51n04$11q0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 So what is missing so we can call it 1.0?
 (excluding obvious bugs)

 dmd:
 - interfaces
 - clean compiler messages
 - compiler don't give up on first error
 - array literal expressions
 ---------
 phobos:
 - at least the linux version has to catchup to windows!
 - severe bugs (like std.zip and std.date)

 obviously the OO guys can't live without
 the full implementation of the interfaces
 as Kris referred and Burton has noticed before.

 for now I can't remember anything else but
 my projects are filled with work arround solutions
 for old problems.

 Ant

Apr 09 2004
parent reply School <school users.sf.net> writes:
Kris said:

 Object.print, and it's use of printf  :-)
 
 
 "Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:c51n04$11q0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 
So what is missing so we can call it 1.0?
(excluding obvious bugs)

dmd:
- interfaces
- clean compiler messages
- compiler don't give up on first error
- array literal expressions
---------
phobos:
- at least the linux version has to catchup to windows!
- severe bugs (like std.zip and std.date)

obviously the OO guys can't live without
the full implementation of the interfaces
as Kris referred and Burton has noticed before.

for now I can't remember anything else but
my projects are filled with work arround solutions
for old problems.

Ant


out. Yet I am more comfortable with C++'s iostream or python's approach. -- School, yet another nickname for anonymous. :D ;-D
Apr 10 2004
parent "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
"School" <school users.sf.net> wrote in message
news:c58dmf$2p1f$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I personally hate "%.*s" "%d" in the first arg of printing something
 out. Yet I am more comfortable with C++'s iostream or python's approach.

Ahh. Different topic School. The reference here is about the root Object having a reference to printf embedded within it.
Apr 10 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Ant wrote:

 So what is missing so we can call it 1.0?
 (excluding obvious bugs)
 
 dmd:
 - interfaces
 - clean compiler messages
 - compiler don't give up on first error
 - array literal expressions

That should be in a separate "language" section. - Array arithmetic operations
 ---------
 phobos:
 - at least the linux version has to catchup to windows!
 - severe bugs (like std.zip and std.date)

Silly holes in phobos: - std.file - copy function - std.date - functions to get/set/construct by components (year, month, day, hour, minute, second....) - probably others.... - a decent I/O system (what are your thoughts on this Walter?) Some waking up of the status column on http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FeatureRequestList.... I'll probably set up a "Pending peeves" section on Wiki4D soon, maybe on my personal page for now since they're the things I personally feel need dealing with. Maybe some official "to do for 1.0" list should be set up at some point.... Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 10 2004
parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c598ie$u0r$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 - a decent I/O system (what are your thoughts on this Walter?)

Stewart; would you be interested in perusing the Dsc.io package? - Kris
Apr 10 2004
parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Kris wrote:
 "Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
 news:c598ie$u0r$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 
- a decent I/O system (what are your thoughts on this Walter?)

Stewart; would you be interested in perusing the Dsc.io package?

If I had a clue where to find it, I'd take a look. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 11 2004
parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
OT:

It's home is at dsource.org, but it's still going through a kind of "under
the radar" testing phase. Dsc is actually a family of three layered
packages: io, http-server, and servlet-style framework. I will probably try
to get the io package checked-in to dsource.org today, while the other two
will perhaps lie-low a while longer.

I'll email you a current zip file of all three, though I'll need your
address to do so (perhaps you could ping me, via the address given?). I'd
like to ask that you provide some feedback in return: good, bad, or ugly --
all of it is valuable.

- Kris


"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c5brpe$1mjd$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Kris wrote:
 "Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
 news:c598ie$u0r$1 digitaldaemon.com...

- a decent I/O system (what are your thoughts on this Walter?)

Stewart; would you be interested in perusing the Dsc.io package?

If I had a clue where to find it, I'd take a look. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on on the 'group where everyone may benefit.

Apr 11 2004
parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Kris wrote:
<snip>
 I'll email you a current zip file of all three, though I'll need your
 address to do so (perhaps you could ping me, via the address given?).

I'm not sure how or where I'm meant to 'ping' you, nor what "address given" you're referring to. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 14 2004
parent "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
I'm sorry Stewart,

I meant, if you send an email to the address given in my posts (without all
the ".dot.dot.dot.dot" cruft), then I'll send you a zip of the latest Dsc
packages. In the meantime, I'll send to the yahoo address and hope you
receive ....

- Kris

"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c5k3os$2gce$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Kris wrote:
 <snip>
 I'll email you a current zip file of all three, though I'll need your
 address to do so (perhaps you could ping me, via the address given?).

I'm not sure how or where I'm meant to 'ping' you, nor what "address given" you're referring to. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on on the 'group where everyone may benefit.

Apr 14 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
Oh ... complete debug-symbols for classes, arrays, etc


"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c51n04$11q0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 So what is missing so we can call it 1.0?
 (excluding obvious bugs)

 dmd:
 - interfaces
 - clean compiler messages
 - compiler don't give up on first error
 - array literal expressions
 ---------
 phobos:
 - at least the linux version has to catchup to windows!
 - severe bugs (like std.zip and std.date)

 obviously the OO guys can't live without
 the full implementation of the interfaces
 as Kris referred and Burton has noticed before.

 for now I can't remember anything else but
 my projects are filled with work arround solutions
 for old problems.

 Ant

Apr 10 2004
parent reply Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:46:06 -0800, Kris wrote:

 Oh ... complete debug-symbols for classes, arrays, etc
 

and debug support in linux. and shared libs in linux! Ant
Apr 10 2004
parent reply Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
All three of these would be bonus.

Ant wrote:
 On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:46:06 -0800, Kris wrote:
 
 
Oh ... complete debug-symbols for classes, arrays, etc

yes. and debug support in linux. and shared libs in linux! Ant

Apr 10 2004
parent reply Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:47:00 -0500, Brad Anderson wrote:

 All three of these would be bonus.

I disagree. We need shared libs and debug before it can be called 1.0! (At the very least shared libs.) I know that there is limited support for debug in linux. (I never could make it work) Ant
 
 Ant wrote:
 On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:46:06 -0800, Kris wrote:
 
 
Oh ... complete debug-symbols for classes, arrays, etc

yes. and debug support in linux. and shared libs in linux! Ant


Apr 10 2004
parent Brad Anderson <brad sankaty.dot.com> writes:
Ant,

I was agreeing with you.

BA

Ant wrote:
 On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:47:00 -0500, Brad Anderson wrote:
 
 
All three of these would be bonus.

I disagree. We need shared libs and debug before it can be called 1.0! (At the very least shared libs.) I know that there is limited support for debug in linux. (I never could make it work) Ant
Ant wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:46:06 -0800, Kris wrote:



Oh ... complete debug-symbols for classes, arrays, etc

yes. and debug support in linux. and shared libs in linux! Ant



Apr 10 2004
prev sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Julio_C=E9sar_Carrascal_Urquijo?= writes:
Ant wrote:
 So what is missing so we can call it 1.0?
 (excluding obvious bugs)
 
 dmd:
 - interfaces
 - clean compiler messages
 - compiler don't give up on first error
 - array literal expressions

language: - Property to remove hash keys: myHash.remove("aKey") instead of delete myHash["aKey"]
Apr 17 2004
parent "Matthew" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
I strongly agree with this one.

"Julio CÚsar Carrascal Urquijo" <adnoctum phreaker.net> wrote in message
news:c5s70u$2cj8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Ant wrote:
 So what is missing so we can call it 1.0?
 (excluding obvious bugs)

 dmd:
 - interfaces
 - clean compiler messages
 - compiler don't give up on first error
 - array literal expressions

language: - Property to remove hash keys: myHash.remove("aKey") instead of delete myHash["aKey"]

Apr 18 2004