D - D for number crunching

reply mjm <mjm_member pathlink.com> writes:
Folks,

I just cam across the D language and like what I have found so far.
Given that there are no books what is the best way to learn the language?
What is the state of the compiler: does it support templates already?
For number crunching can I expect to get code that will run as fast as g++
compiled C++?

If array index bounds are checked will this slow down code much?

Thanks.
Aug 11 2003
next sibling parent "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
 I just cam across the D language and like what I have found so far.
 Given that there are no books what is the best way to learn the language?
 What is the state of the compiler: does it support templates already?
 For number crunching can I expect to get code that will run as fast as g++
 compiled C++?
Faster
 If array index bounds are checked will this slow down code much?
Optimised out
Aug 11 2003
"mjm" <mjm_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bh81kg$tte$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Folks,

 I just cam across the D language and like what I have found so far.
Great!
 Given that there are no books what is the best way to learn the language?
Dive in, and ask questions here.
 What is the state of the compiler: does it support templates already?
It works well. Templates are implemented.
 For number crunching can I expect to get code that will run as fast as g++
 compiled C++?
Yes.
 If array index bounds are checked will this slow down code much?
Yes, however, bounds checking can be removed for release mode.
Aug 11 2003