D - Kiev - a much improved Java

reply Farmer <itsFarmer. freenet.de> writes:
Hi,

this link might be cool or outdated, I don't know.

http://www.forestro.com/kiev/kiev.html

Kiev is an extension to Java, it may contain some valuable ideas that would
fit to D. It contains things like better support for MI, multi-methods,
user-defined operators and much more.

The great thing is, that it's ideas are easy to recognize, because
everybody is already familiar with it's syntax. And the spec is terse, too.

Farmer
Feb 26 2003
next sibling parent reply "Jeroen van Bemmel" <anonymous somewhere.com> writes:
 this link might be cool or outdated, I don't know.

 http://www.forestro.com/kiev/kiev.html

 Kiev is an extension to Java, it may contain some valuable ideas that
would
 fit to D. It contains things like better support for MI, multi-methods,
 user-defined operators and much more.

 The great thing is, that it's ideas are easy to recognize, because
 everybody is already familiar with it's syntax. And the spec is terse,
too.

Certainly looks nice, I always hate to type SomeClass X = (SomeClass)
someMap.get("key").
Too bad their sources don't compile on a regular Java compiler, and both 1.4
and 1.3.1 give verify errors on their jars...
So much for compatibility
"Jeroen van Bemmel" <anonymous somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:b3jeih$6js$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Certainly looks nice, I always hate to type SomeClass X = (SomeClass)
 someMap.get("key").
 Too bad their sources don't compile on a regular Java compiler, and both
1.4
 and 1.3.1 give verify errors on their jars...
 So much for compatibility
Since you're an expert at Java, would you be willing to write up a short piece comparing D vs Java from a Java perspective? I think it would be very valuable.
Feb 26 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Farmer" <itsFarmer. freenet.de> wrote in message
news:Xns932EE4CFE543BitsFarmer 63.105.9.61...
 Hi,

 this link might be cool or outdated, I don't know.

 http://www.forestro.com/kiev/kiev.html

 Kiev is an extension to Java, it may contain some valuable ideas that
would
 fit to D. It contains things like better support for MI, multi-methods,
 user-defined operators and much more.

 The great thing is, that it's ideas are easy to recognize, because
 everybody is already familiar with it's syntax. And the spec is terse,
too. It is a good read. The interesting thing is the date on it is 1998, so what has happened to it since then?
Feb 26 2003
prev sibling parent Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
http://nice.sourceforge.net/
http://grunge.cs.tu-berlin.de/~tolk/vmlanguages.html
Feb 26 2003