D - Perl 6 Switch Statement

reply Kublai Kahn <Kublai_member pathlink.com> writes:
Perl 6 has a new switch statement called "given."
In Perl 5 there was no switch statement because
the designer of Perl wanted to create the right statement.
The Perl 6 is denoted by given and the case is denoted by when.
There is even syntax for exceptions.

http://dev.perl.org/perl6/apocalypse/4

A typical Perl 6 "Switch" statement would be:
given statement {
when condition { }
when condition { }

}

A typical Perl 6 Exception would be

catch exception {
when { }

}

You can switch hashes or arrays objects or lists or regular expressions or and
booleans and more.
Feb 25 2003
parent "anderson" <anderson badmama.com.au> writes:
"Kublai Kahn" <Kublai_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:b3h655$1ng7$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Perl 6 has a new switch statement called "given."
 In Perl 5 there was no switch statement because
 the designer of Perl wanted to create the right statement.
 The Perl 6 is denoted by given and the case is denoted by when.
 There is even syntax for exceptions.

 http://dev.perl.org/perl6/apocalypse/4

 A typical Perl 6 "Switch" statement would be:
 given statement {
 when condition { }
 when condition { }

 }

 A typical Perl 6 Exception would be

 catch exception {
 when { }

 }

 You can switch hashes or arrays objects or lists or regular expressions or
and
 booleans and more.
I don't know if this was a feature request for D or not, but here's my 2c. I think these longer forms of switch/catch statements would break C's conciseness which D tries to uphold. D already has these statements so I don't see the reasoning behind these. I don't see the point of having a boolean in a switch statement when it can just as easily be done with if/else. Although it may be an idea if switch statements could take in objects and return some result, parhaps by overloading the equals operator.
Mar 01 2003