digitalmars.D.learn - What's the difference between "out" and "inout"?

reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Maybe a silly question, but what's the difference bebtween "out"
parameters and "inout" parameters?
For a long time I was under the impression that there's no difference ..
  but I'm not sure anymore.
May 20 2006
parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
There's a big difference:

out initializes the variable to the default initializer.
inout does not change the value passed in.

Example:

import std.stdio;

int foo1(out i)
{
    writefln(i);
}

int foo2(inout i)
{
    writefln(i);
}

int main()
{
    int i;

    i = 5;
    foo1(i);

    i = 5;
    foo2(i);

    return 0;
}

Will output:

0
5

Because in the first case i is set to 0 because it is an int.  Out means
that the value before the call doesn't matter; with inout it may matter.

-[Unknown]

 Maybe a silly question, but what's the difference bebtween "out"
 parameters and "inout" parameters?
 For a long time I was under the impression that there's no difference ..
  but I'm not sure anymore.
May 20 2006
parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Interesting, but why? What situations need this kind of behaviour?

Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
[...]

May 21 2006
next sibling parent "Lionello Lunesu" <lionello lunesu.remove.com> writes:
I think you should look at "out" as if it were the function's return value:

#void func(out int i) { return i; }
#int func() { int i; return i; }

I think these two should behave the same way. In fact, they do :)

L.

news:e4p6vo$1kmn$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling next sibling parent Deewiant <deewiant.doesnotlike.spam gmail.com> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Interesting, but why? What situations need this kind of behaviour?

In current D it's rarely actually needed, since objects' and arrays' contents can be modified regardless of in, out, or inout, and it's usually the contents and not the reference that is changed. But basically the kind of situation would be something like the following: void empty(out Array x) { x.length = 0; } I hope you get the idea. It does come up quite rarely.
May 21 2006
prev sibling parent "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
Image a state-based function that did not utilize a class for storing
its state information.

bool do_something(in Stream s, inout int state);

Then you might do this:

int state = 0;
while (do_something(s, state))
    writefln("Current state: ", state, "\n");

This isn't the best example, I'm afraid, but it's the clearest one I can
think of at the moment.  It's not needed every day, but it has definite
uses.

I guess another option would be:

bool do_something(Stream s, in int previous_state, out new_state);

But that seems silly.

-[Unknown]