digitalmars.D.learn - old newsgroup attachments

reply "John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> writes:
Off-topic, I know, but I'll ask anyway if someone knows how I might go about
downloading attachments in posts that I've no longer got cached in my
newsreader. The original message was about stack tracking and is viewable
here http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/22967 but
neither Firefox nor IE will download the attachment, which is what I'm
interested in. Do I have to download all headers back to May or is there a
way in Thunderbird or OE to go straight to a specific message (22967)?

Thanks,
John.
Dec 11 2005
next sibling parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
Dec 11 2005
parent "John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> writes:
"Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> wrote in message
news:rltu63-utf.ln1 birke.kuehne.cn...
Thanks for the tip - worked a treat.
Dec 11 2005
prev sibling parent reply J C Calvarese <technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
In article <dni6a0$t4n$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John C says...
Off-topic, I know, but I'll ask anyway if someone knows how I might go about
downloading attachments in posts that I've no longer got cached in my
newsreader. The original message was about stack tracking and is viewable
here http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/22967 but
neither Firefox nor IE will download the attachment, which is what I'm
interested in. Do I have to download all headers back to May or is there a
way in Thunderbird or OE to go straight to a specific message (22967)?

Thanks,
John.
I've put some tips on this here for what I do: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?NewsDmD#DecodingAttachments But Thomas Kuehne's method looks easier than what I do, so if that works for you that's probably the way to go. ;) Basically, you need to decode the attachment (they're either in base64 or uuencoded). In this specific case, it's uuencoded. Here's D source for a couple of decoders... Base64 decoder: http://trac.dsource.org/projects/tutorials/wiki/BaseSixtyFourExample UUDECODE: http://trac.dsource.org/projects/tutorials/wiki/UudecodeExample jcc7
Dec 13 2005
parent pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dnm590$kbj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, J C Calvarese says...
[...]

Another thing that helps is that winzip will open saved uuencoded data if you save it with a .uu extension. I usually just copy everything from the line with the filename down to the end of the encoded block into my text editor and safe it out to "foo.uu"; it works every time. - EricAnderton at yahoo
Dec 13 2005