www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - libfirm-d - D bindings of Firm, a compiler IR based on the SSA form

reply Basile B. <b2.temp gmx.com> writes:
I've recently ported libfirm to D.

This nice C library, developed at the Karlsruhe university, 
allows to build compiler back-ends, using the SSA intermediate 
representation.

In theory it could even be used to make a new D compiler version, 
e.g "FDC", although this is obviously of no interest ;)

So this is mostly to make JIT scripting engines or back-ends for 
toy languages...

See:

- https://github.com/BBasile/libfirm-d
- https://code.dlang.org/packages/firm-d
- https://pp.ipd.kit.edu/firm/

Note that unfortunately this library is LGPL2 licensed, so much 
less usable than LLVM-d, which is a similar but a more mainstream 
library.
Jul 01
next sibling parent reply ketmar <ketmar ketmar.no-ip.org> writes:
Basile B. wrote:

 I've recently ported libfirm to D.
great news and great work, thank you. yet i must admit that wrapping != porting. for a moment you made my heart stopped, 'cause i thought that i wasted alot of time trying to do a proper port (nope, not finished, but still...).
Jul 01
next sibling parent reply Basile B. <b2.temp gmx.com> writes:
On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 15:03:30 UTC, ketmar wrote:
 Basile B. wrote:

 I've recently ported libfirm to D.
great news and great work, thank you. yet i must admit that wrapping != porting. for a moment you made my heart stopped, 'cause i thought that i wasted alot of time trying to do a proper port (nope, not finished, but still...).
Thanks. BTW I remember you said on IRC that SSA form is much better (maybe it was once when we talked about DMD optimizations or something like that)... this is basically why i choose this one, although not sure if i'll manage to do something with it.
Jul 01
parent ketmar <ketmar ketmar.no-ip.org> writes:
Basile B. wrote:

 On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 15:03:30 UTC, ketmar wrote:
 Basile B. wrote:

 I've recently ported libfirm to D.
great news and great work, thank you. yet i must admit that wrapping != porting. for a moment you made my heart stopped, 'cause i thought that i wasted alot of time trying to do a proper port (nope, not finished, but still...).
Thanks. BTW I remember you said on IRC that SSA form is much better (maybe it was once when we talked about DMD optimizations or something like that)... this is basically why i choose this one, although not sure if i'll manage to do something with it.
tbh, i gave up on porting it fully, so i prolly will go with your wrapper, if anything. and yeah, SSA rox. i am temporarily on C++ side now, yet sooner or later i'll return, and will have to restart Aliced again. maybe this time with a brand new backend. ;-)
Jul 01
prev sibling parent reply Basile B. <b2.temp gmx.com> writes:
On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 15:03:30 UTC, ketmar wrote:
 Basile B. wrote:

 I've recently ported libfirm to D.
great news and great work, thank you. yet i must admit that wrapping != porting.
Right, i have used the wrong words. Title hopefully is not ambiguous.
Jul 04
parent ketmar <ketmar ketmar.no-ip.org> writes:
Basile B. wrote:

 On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 15:03:30 UTC, ketmar wrote:
 Basile B. wrote:

 I've recently ported libfirm to D.
great news and great work, thank you. yet i must admit that wrapping != porting.
Right, i have used the wrong words. Title hopefully is not ambiguous.
ah, tbh, i'm just being jealous. you did my work! me is useless now!
Jul 04
prev sibling parent reply Chris M. <chrismohrfeld comcast.net> writes:
On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 12:04:06 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
 I've recently ported libfirm to D.

 This nice C library, developed at the Karlsruhe university, 
 allows to build compiler back-ends, using the SSA intermediate 
 representation.

 In theory it could even be used to make a new D compiler 
 version, e.g "FDC", although this is obviously of no interest ;)

 So this is mostly to make JIT scripting engines or back-ends 
 for toy languages...

 See:

 - https://github.com/BBasile/libfirm-d
 - https://code.dlang.org/packages/firm-d
 - https://pp.ipd.kit.edu/firm/

 Note that unfortunately this library is LGPL2 licensed, so much 
 less usable than LLVM-d, which is a similar but a more 
 mainstream library.
Very nice, I remember checking this one out a while back. I don't see the files from the ADT module though, was there a reason they weren't included? https://github.com/libfirm/libfirm/tree/master/include/libfirm/adt
Jul 04
parent reply Basile B. <b2.temp gmx.com> writes:
On Thursday, 5 July 2018 at 00:00:07 UTC, Chris M. wrote:
 On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 12:04:06 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
 I've recently ported libfirm to D.

 This nice C library, developed at the Karlsruhe university, 
 allows to build compiler back-ends, using the SSA intermediate 
 representation.
Very nice, I remember checking this one out a while back. I don't see the files from the ADT module though, was there a reason they weren't included? https://github.com/libfirm/libfirm/tree/master/include/libfirm/adt
Yes there's a reason that is that these files mostly contain data structures, they are not needed in D and i don't remember having seen them as parameter type during translation of the headers, (although it's been done semi manually, so i could have missed one).
Jul 04
parent Chris M. <chrismohrfeld comcast.net> writes:
On Thursday, 5 July 2018 at 01:11:58 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
 On Thursday, 5 July 2018 at 00:00:07 UTC, Chris M. wrote:
 On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 12:04:06 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
 [...]
Very nice, I remember checking this one out a while back. I don't see the files from the ADT module though, was there a reason they weren't included? https://github.com/libfirm/libfirm/tree/master/include/libfirm/adt
Yes there's a reason that is that these files mostly contain data structures, they are not needed in D and i don't remember having seen them as parameter type during translation of the headers, (although it's been done semi manually, so i could have missed one).
Makes sense, I didn't think you would have just missed them.
Jul 05