www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - This Right In: PLDI 2020 will take place online and registration is

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
PLDI (Programming Language Design and Implementation) is a top academic 
conference. This year PLDI will be held online and registration is free. 
This is an amazing treat.

https://conf.researchr.org/home/pldi-2020

Workshops and tutorials (also free) are of potential interest. These 
caught my eye:

https://pldi20.sigplan.org/home/SOAP-2020 (on the 15th)
https://conf.researchr.org/track/ismm-2020/ismm-2020 (on the 16th)
Jun 04
next sibling parent Stefan Koch <uplink.coder googlemail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 4 June 2020 at 12:46:51 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
 PLDI (Programming Language Design and Implementation) is a top 
 academic conference. This year PLDI will be held online and 
 registration is free. This is an amazing treat.

 https://conf.researchr.org/home/pldi-2020

 Workshops and tutorials (also free) are of potential interest. 
 These caught my eye:

 https://pldi20.sigplan.org/home/SOAP-2020 (on the 15th)
 https://conf.researchr.org/track/ismm-2020/ismm-2020 (on the 
 16th)
Very cool!
Jun 04
prev sibling next sibling parent tastyminerals <tastyminerals gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 4 June 2020 at 12:46:51 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
 PLDI (Programming Language Design and Implementation) is a top 
 academic conference. This year PLDI will be held online and 
 registration is free. This is an amazing treat.

 https://conf.researchr.org/home/pldi-2020

 Workshops and tutorials (also free) are of potential interest. 
 These caught my eye:

 https://pldi20.sigplan.org/home/SOAP-2020 (on the 15th)
 https://conf.researchr.org/track/ismm-2020/ismm-2020 (on the 
 16th)
Semantic embeddings, neural type hints, gated logic networks. Almost an NLP conference.
Jun 05
prev sibling next sibling parent CraigDillabaugh <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 4 June 2020 at 12:46:51 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
clip
 These caught my eye:

 https://pldi20.sigplan.org/home/SOAP-2020 (on the 15th)
 https://conf.researchr.org/track/ismm-2020/ismm-2020 (on the 
 16th)
Before I checked out the first of the workshop links you provided, I thought it was about Simple Object Access Protocol, and I started having flashbacks of working with gSoap. Happily, it is about something else altogether.
Jun 06
prev sibling parent reply Timon Gehr <timon.gehr gmx.ch> writes:
On 04.06.20 14:46, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 PLDI (Programming Language Design and Implementation) is a top academic 
 conference. This year PLDI will be held online and registration is free. 
 This is an amazing treat.
 
 https://conf.researchr.org/home/pldi-2020
 
 Workshops and tutorials (also free) are of potential interest. These 
 caught my eye:
 
 https://pldi20.sigplan.org/home/SOAP-2020 (on the 15th)
 https://conf.researchr.org/track/ismm-2020/ismm-2020 (on the 16th)
For PLDI 2020, I have contributed to the following research papers: https://pldi20.sigplan.org/details/pldi-2020-papers/47/Silq-A-High-Level-Quantum-Language-with-Safe-Uncomputation-and-Intuitive-Semantics https://pldi20.sigplan.org/details/pldi-2020-papers/46/-PSI-Exact-Inference-for-Higher-Order-Probabilistic-Programs The only relation to D is that the implementations of the two presented programming languages are written in D.
Jun 14
next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 6/14/20 4:22 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
 On 04.06.20 14:46, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 PLDI (Programming Language Design and Implementation) is a top 
 academic conference. This year PLDI will be held online and 
 registration is free. This is an amazing treat.

 https://conf.researchr.org/home/pldi-2020

 Workshops and tutorials (also free) are of potential interest. These 
 caught my eye:

 https://pldi20.sigplan.org/home/SOAP-2020 (on the 15th)
 https://conf.researchr.org/track/ismm-2020/ismm-2020 (on the 16th)
For PLDI 2020, I have contributed to the following research papers: https://pldi20.sigplan.org/details/pldi-2020-papers/47/Silq-A-High-Level-Quantum-Language-with-Safe-Uncomputation-and Intuitive-Semantics https://pldi20.sigplan.org/details/pldi-2020-papers/46/-PSI-Exact-Inference-for-Higher-Order-Pr babilistic-Programs The only relation to D is that the implementations of the two presented programming languages are written in D.
Congratulations! Mmmm, safe :o)
Jun 14
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?iso-8859-1?Q?Robert_M._M=FCnch?= <robert.muench saphirion.com> writes:
On 2020-06-14 20:22:41 +0000, Timon Gehr said:

 https://pldi20.sigplan.org/details/pldi-2020-papers/46/-PSI-Exact-Inference-for-Higher-Order-Pr
babilistic-Programs 
 
This one sounds pretty interesting. Will there be a recording and a published paper be available? -- Robert M. Mnch http://www.saphirion.com smarter | better | faster
Jun 14
parent reply Timon Gehr <timon.gehr gmx.ch> writes:
On 15.06.20 08:58, Robert M. Münch wrote:
 On 2020-06-14 20:22:41 +0000, Timon Gehr said:
 
 https://pldi20.sigplan.org/details/pldi-2020-papers/46/-PSI-Exact-Inference-for-Higher-Order-Pr
babilistic-Programs 
This one sounds pretty interesting. Will there be a recording and a published paper be available?
The talk will be on YouTube. Papers: https://www.sri.inf.ethz.ch/publications/bichsel2020silq https://www.sri.inf.ethz.ch/publications/gehr2020lpsi Source code: https://github.com/eth-sri/silq https://github.com/eth-sri/psi/tree/new-types
Jun 15
parent reply =?iso-8859-1?Q?Robert_M._M=FCnch?= <robert.muench saphirion.com> writes:
On 2020-06-15 13:01:02 +0000, Timon Gehr said:

 The talk will be on YouTube.
Great.
 Papers:
 https://www.sri.inf.ethz.ch/publications/bichsel2020silq
 https://www.sri.inf.ethz.ch/publications/gehr2020lpsi
 
 Source code:
 https://github.com/eth-sri/silq
 https://github.com/eth-sri/psi/tree/new-types
Thanks, somehow missed these. What's the main difference of your approach WRT something like this: http://pyro.ai/ BTW: I'm located in Zug... so not far away from you guys. -- Robert M. Mnch http://www.saphirion.com smarter | better | faster
Jun 16
parent Timon Gehr <timon.gehr gmx.ch> writes:
On 16.06.20 17:35, Robert M. Münch wrote:
 On 2020-06-15 13:01:02 +0000, Timon Gehr said:
 
 The talk will be on YouTube.
Great.
 Papers:
 https://www.sri.inf.ethz.ch/publications/bichsel2020silq
 https://www.sri.inf.ethz.ch/publications/gehr2020lpsi

 Source code:
 https://github.com/eth-sri/silq
 https://github.com/eth-sri/psi/tree/new-types
Thanks, somehow missed these. ...
I think they were not online when you asked (neither were the versions in ACM DL).
 What's the main difference of your approach WRT something like this: 
 http://pyro.ai/
 ...
Pyro is a Python library/EDSL, while PSI is a typed programming language (with some support for dependent typing). Pyro's focus is on scalable machine learning. PSI alone would not be particularly helpful there. Pyro fits a parameterized probabilistic model to data using maximum likelihood estimation while at the same time inferring a posterior distribution for the latent variables of the model. If you use a probabilistic model without parameters, Pyro can be used for plain probabilistic inference without maximum likelihood estimation. PSI currently does not do optimization, just probabilistic inference. (PSI can do symbolic inference with parameters, then they can be optimized with some other tool.) The goal is to find a distribution such that KL-divergence of the posterior and this distribution is as small as possible. PSI always finds the true posterior when it is successful (i.e. KL-divergence 0 when applicable), but will not always succeed, in particular, it might not be fast enough, or the result may not be in a useful form. Pyro produces best-effort results. You may have to use some sort of validation to make sure that results are useful. - The posterior distribution is assumed to have a specific form that can be represented symbolically and is normalized by construction. Often, the true posterior is not actually (known to be) in that family. - The KL-divergence is upper-bounded using ELBO (evidence lower bound). - The (gradient of the) ELBO is approximated by sampling from the assumed posterior with current parameters. - This approximate ELBO is approximately optimized using gradient descent. Also see: https://pyro.ai/examples/svi_part_i.html
 BTW: I'm located in Zug... so not far away from you guys.
 
Jun 16
prev sibling next sibling parent reply M.M. <matus email.cz> writes:
On Sunday, 14 June 2020 at 20:22:41 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:

 For PLDI 2020, I have contributed to the following research 
 papers:

 https://pldi20.sigplan.org/details/pldi-2020-papers/47/Silq-A-High-Level-Quantum-Language-with-Safe-Uncomputation-and-Intuitive-Semantics

 https://pldi20.sigplan.org/details/pldi-2020-papers/46/-PSI-Exact-Inference-for-Higher-Order-Probabilistic-Programs
Congratulations.
 The only relation to D is that the implementations of the two 
 presented programming languages are written in D.
Does that mean that your junior co-author(s) use D as well?
Jun 15
parent Timon Gehr <timon.gehr gmx.ch> writes:
On 15.06.20 09:46, M.M. wrote:
 On Sunday, 14 June 2020 at 20:22:41 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
 
 For PLDI 2020, I have contributed to the following research papers:

 https://pldi20.sigplan.org/details/pldi-2020-papers/47/Silq-A-High-Level-Quantum-Language-with-Safe-Uncomputation-and
Intuitive-Semantics 


 https://pldi20.sigplan.org/details/pldi-2020-papers/46/-PSI-Exact-Inference-for-Higher-Order-Pr
babilistic-Programs 
Congratulations. ...
Thanks!
 The only relation to D is that the implementations of the two 
 presented programming languages are written in D.
Does that mean that your junior co-author(s) use D as well?
Occasionally.
Jun 15
prev sibling parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/14/2020 1:22 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
 The only relation to D is that the implementations of the two presented 
 programming languages are written in D.
Nice!
Jun 15