www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - D and C++ renderer side by side demonstration

reply Ki Rill <rill.ki yahoo.com> writes:
Here is a youtube 
[link](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nWXbmLsIRI).

I was watching Timur Gafarov’s videos on Dagon Engine and 
stumbled upon a video that demonstrated a C++ Renderer Engine 
using the same Sponza scene. I thought it would be a great idea 
to show them side by side.

This is not a “X vs Y” video! It just demonstrates the 
capabilities of D and C++ side by side.
Aug 06
next sibling parent reply kinke <noone nowhere.com> writes:
On Saturday, 7 August 2021 at 03:15:30 UTC, Ki Rill wrote:
 I was watching Timur Gafarov’s videos on Dagon Engine and 
 stumbled upon a video that demonstrated a C++ Renderer Engine 
 using the same Sponza scene. I thought it would be a great idea 
 to show them side by side.

 This is not a “X vs Y” video! It just demonstrates the 
 capabilities of D and C++ side by side.
Sorry, but it just demonstrates the capabilities of 2 seemingly totally unrelated rendering engines and might easily mislead beginners, not helping D at all. What makes you think the used programming language would have any effect on the capabilities of a rendering engine? Some old Quake engine was ported from C or C++ to Emscripten (JavaScript) via WebGL by Carmack himself IIRC some years ago, and the visual results were unsurprisingly identical. There might be differences in efficiency, especially for JavaScript vs. a system programming language, but most modern graphics are GPU-bound anyway.
Aug 07
parent aberba <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 7 August 2021 at 07:11:26 UTC, kinke wrote:
 On Saturday, 7 August 2021 at 03:15:30 UTC, Ki Rill wrote:
 This is not a “X vs Y” video! It just demonstrates the 
 capabilities of D and C++ side by side.
might easily mislead beginners, not helping D at all. What makes you think the used programming language would have any effect on the capabilities of a rendering engine?
Relax, not sure where you are drawing this conclusion from. You probably are overthinking this. Any content that shows what D can do or mentions D is a plus IMO.
Aug 07
prev sibling parent IGotD- <nise nise.com> writes:
On Saturday, 7 August 2021 at 03:15:30 UTC, Ki Rill wrote:
 Here is a youtube 
 [link](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nWXbmLsIRI).

 I was watching Timur Gafarov’s videos on Dagon Engine and 
 stumbled upon a video that demonstrated a C++ Renderer Engine 
 using the same Sponza scene. I thought it would be a great idea 
 to show them side by side.

 This is not a “X vs Y” video! It just demonstrates the 
 capabilities of D and C++ side by side.
You can do rendering engines in D, nice example. Next questions would be 1. Is GC being used or is custom memory management being used? 2. How much is D and how much are library calls (to OpenGl, DirectX whatever which presumably are done in C++)?
Aug 08