digitalmars.D.announce - MiniD dsource project set up

reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
Link: http://www.dsource.org/projects/minid

== What is MiniD? ==

MiniD is a statically-typed, object-oriented scripting language based on D
and designed with D in mind as the host language.  It takes some features
from other scripting languages as well, such as static closures, generators,
and coroutines.  One of the main ideas behind making it D-based is an almost
seamless integration of scripting into the host program, so that native code
can very easily call script code and vice versa.

== How far along is it? ==

It's mostly just a grammar and some language specs right now; however,
there's a reference compiler in the works which does the lexical and
syntactic passes, and has the beginnings of the semantic pass as well.  It
can be found into the repo.

== Is it open?  Licensing? ==

It's open.  Licensing?  It could be public domain for all I care.  If some
of you more experienced OSS'ers have some comments on that, or if I should
use something else (like zlib or MIT license), I'd like to hear it.  In
fact, if someone wanted to bring it up on the MiniD forum on dsource, that'd
be great.

The development is also open.  I'd love to hear any ideas and suggestions
for features and other areas of development.

== Why MiniD? ==

It started as a sort of for-fun project, but eventually developed into
something of a learning project.  I wanted to see what it was like to design
and implement a compiler and VM.  Maybe I'll end up with a language that
people want to use; maybe not.  In any case, it's my idea that perhaps by
offloading things like typechecking into the compiler, the VM will be
somewhat faster.  Maybe.  I hope :)
Jun 25 2006
next sibling parent reply James Dunne <james.jdunne gmail.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
[...]

Jun 26 2006
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"James Dunne" <james.jdunne gmail.com> wrote in message
news:e7p9b3$1cps$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 1) Fix /wiki/LanguageSpec/Lexical section after Tokens, a sentence is
 broken.
I'd fix it but I can't find any broken sentences. Perhaps you meant the second sentence? Maybe I should put quotes around the "...", since that means the D vararg token.
 2) With the escape sequences in string literals, how would I go about

\0011 - The decimal escapes can only be three characters long, so it will suck up \001, and then the next 1 will be the next character.
 3) Good to see the ability to define binary integer literals; they're
 immensely useful
I've found them to be as well :)
 4) Multiple setter functions allowed for properties (and seem to be
 required to have at least one) but only one getter function is allowed and
 is optional?  Why is this?
Setters are optional, but multiple are allowed. I'm also thinking of enforcing the rule that if there are any setters, at least one must take the same type of the property (so if you have an int property, and you have setters, there must be one that takes an int, but all the rest can be whatever). You can only have one getter because of function overloading - getters are defined as something like "<proptype> __get()", and of course you can't overload based on return value. It's optional in case you need a write-only property (for whatever reason). So you can have read-only properties by only having a getter; write-only by only having setters; and read/write by having both.
 5) Regular assignment on /wiki/LanguageSpec/Expressions:  Is it a good
 idea to treat x = obj.prop = 4; as two separate expressions?  You're
 sort-of violating the general rule to not evaluate the property more than
 once.  Why not have the implementation of the setter functions return the
 value that was set?
I'm not real fond of that either, and that part might change. I suppose it'd be fine to allow property setters to return values so you can chain property assignments like this, but _personally_ I find assignment chaining to be in _bad taste_ ;) and so might disallow chaining property assignments altogether. But that might be a little too draconian for some people.
 6) Operation assignments: you don't state that you're going to check for
 the same setter/getter function call signature for a property, you just
 say that the property must have them both set.
If a writeable property is enforced to have one setter that takes the same type as the property as mentioned above, then this can work.
 7) So custom defined objects cannot be passed in varargs functions?
No, they can - you use the .asObject() member of the vararg and then cast down to your class type. All classes will inherit from Object, like in D (yet to write the class spec).
 I would recommend renaming 'def' to 'local', just as it's more
 aesthetically pleasing to me.
I tried local, but then that doesn't make sense for global variables. I wanted something short and unambiguous. 'def' seemed to fit the bill, despite being a bit .. reminiscient of Lisp? Oh well, it ended up being Python-esque anyway.
 Also, why do you have the 'def' keyword as the starter to function parsing
 in addition to global variable parsing, would you not use a separate
 keyword 'function' for that?
'def' begins all variable and function definitions except for function parameters where it's unambiguous what's expected. I did acually have "function" start function declarations before, but with functions that _returned_ functions, it started getting really funny-looking: function void function() foo() { } I also had some grammar ambiguities when using "function" to begin functions when dealing with function literals. As of now, "function" is _just_ used for the type, and it's nice that way.
 It would be nice to have generics implemented in a scripting language :)
It would be TERRIBLE to have generics in a scripting language ;)
Jun 26 2006
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "James Dunne" <james.jdunne gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:e7p9b3$1cps$1 digitaldaemon.com...

1) Fix /wiki/LanguageSpec/Lexical section after Tokens, a sentence is
broken.
I'd fix it but I can't find any broken sentences. Perhaps you meant the second sentence? Maybe I should put quotes around the "...", since that means the D vararg token.
Yeah that was it. It just parsed weird in my brain.
2) With the escape sequences in string literals, how would I go about

\0011 - The decimal escapes can only be three characters long, so it will suck up \001, and then the next 1 will be the next character.
I completely forgot about 0 padding. Still, it's weird and wasn't intuitively obvious to me (obviously). ;)
[...]
Okay, I see now. I was thinking in terms of indexors as properties, like myobj.a[3] = 4; and a = myobj.b[6,7], etc.
5) Regular assignment on /wiki/LanguageSpec/Expressions:  Is it a good
idea to treat x = obj.prop = 4; as two separate expressions?  You're
sort-of violating the general rule to not evaluate the property more than
once.  Why not have the implementation of the setter functions return the
value that was set?
I'm not real fond of that either, and that part might change. I suppose it'd be fine to allow property setters to return values so you can chain property assignments like this, but _personally_ I find assignment chaining to be in _bad taste_ ;) and so might disallow chaining property assignments altogether. But that might be a little too draconian for some people.
Yeah I also find myself avoiding chained assignments, but I don't know why. I guess I like to limit the horizontal span of my code. It's much easier to scroll vertically (go mouse-wheel!) than it is to scroll horizontally. :)
[...]
Oh yeah, the globals - I always forget about the globals... They're local to the global scope, yes?
Also, why do you have the 'def' keyword as the starter to function parsing
in addition to global variable parsing, would you not use a separate
keyword 'function' for that?
'def' begins all variable and function definitions except for function parameters where it's unambiguous what's expected. I did acually have "function" start function declarations before, but with functions that _returned_ functions, it started getting really funny-looking: function void function() foo() { } I also had some grammar ambiguities when using "function" to begin functions when dealing with function literals. As of now, "function" is _just_ used for the type, and it's nice that way.
How about switching to a Pascal-inspired declaration syntax in combination with the 'function' keyword: function max(x,y : int) : int { return (x < y) ? y : x; } function hello(a, b : int) : function(c,d : int) : int { return max; } Reads nicely left-to-right.
It would be nice to have generics implemented in a scripting language :)
It would be TERRIBLE to have generics in a scripting language ;)
LOL - you don't get more disagreeable than that. Overall, I like your idea! A D-looking script language that's easily embeddable in a D host program really makes it easy on the developer. Just don't put in too many 'gotchas' that would deviate far from the original D. -- Regards, James Dunne
Jun 26 2006
parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"James Dunne" <james.jdunne gmail.com> wrote in message
news:e7qdqp$k3m$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Okay, I see now.  I was thinking in terms of indexors as properties, like
 myobj.a[3] = 4; and a = myobj.b[6,7], etc.
I was originally toying with the idea of namespaces for properties which would hold special functions like opSet and opGet, and then could also hold things like opIndex[Assign] and opSlice[Assign]. That started getting a little complex, but I suppose some special functions could be allowed in the property blocks, such as property int x { def int opIndex(int index) { return mArray[index]; } def int opIndexAssign(int value, int index) { return mArray[index] = value; } } ... def A a = new A; a.x[5] = 4; io.writefln(a.x[5]); It could work. It's something that I always wanted in D - the ability to easily wrap an array in a class, allowing access to the members but to nothing else (so the user couldn't resize, sort, delete etc. the array).
 Yeah I also find myself avoiding chained assignments, but I don't know
 why.  I guess I like to limit the horizontal span of my code.  It's much
 easier to scroll vertically (go mouse-wheel!) than it is to scroll
 horizontally. :)
I always follow the mantra of one statement per line. That's partly why you can't have multiple variable declarations on one line, and also why there's no postfix ++ and -- (since IMO they cause nothing but confusion).
 Oh yeah, the globals - I always forget about the globals...  They're local
 to the global scope, yes?
Mmmmmm..... maybe. ;)

 }

 function hello(a, b : int) : function(c,d : int) : int {
 return max;
 }

 Reads nicely left-to-right.
Huuhh.. I've seen that kind of mix of C and Pascal before, and I'm not entirely fond of it. It does certainly make parsing declarations much easier.
 LOL - you don't get more disagreeable than that.
Yeah, templates scare me a bit. Especially something as complex as D's templates. Perhaps very simple generics could work (basically just allow templated classes / functions, with simple specialization), but that'd be something for MiniD 2.0 ;)
 Overall, I like your idea!  A D-looking script language that's easily
 embeddable in a D host program really makes it easy on the developer. Just
 don't put in too many 'gotchas' that would deviate far from the original
 D.
I'll try not to. Most of the things I'm changing are simply removing more complex features, while trying to keep the rest as close as possible.
Jun 27 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Rémy Mouëza <ray.jay.ay.moueza DoNtSpAm.gmail.com> writes:
In article <e7ngne$a46$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jarrett Billingsley says...
[...]

Sorry, I don't want to be offensive, but I don't see lots of "interest" of doing a scripting language so close to D, althought without adding any "new" stuff that are typical of dynamic language. The way I see it : D has lot of strength and weaknesses. What about doing a dynamic language that would make a kind of balance by supporting features that would releave D where it kind of fails ? From what I have seen, this is not what MiniD is planning to do. And maybe it is not what you intended to do. First, I would either leave the strongly typing system for something more dynamic ( more like scripting language ), or keep it strong but would make much more type inference, going beyond what D is doing, something looking like Nemerle. Second, I would implement some symbolic stuff or some kind of reflection to manipulate the type system or make something like meta object protocol to be able to programatically transform the MiniD programs. This could allow for aspect oriented stuffs and more. Actually, I think that I am too demanding with a for-fun project. Maybe I should keep quiet and implement my own Pythonish/Smalltalkish language in D. Anyway, D is a high level programming language, with features closed to dynamic languages and high performance. I think it's the language of choice to implement a scripting language. The more scripting language implemention we'll have, the best we'll be able to prove it. MiniD is a good idea. Good luck !
Jun 26 2006
next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jari-Matti_M=E4kel=E4?= <jmjmak utu.fi.invalid> writes:
Rémy Mouëza wrote:
 Actually, I think that I am too demanding with a for-fun project. Maybe I
should
 keep quiet and implement my own Pythonish/Smalltalkish language in D.
I guess there's not much use to make yet another scripting language unless it's a for-fun project. You might want to try Ruby. It has many features in common with D. I'm not sure if someone has already made an attempt to implement a Ruby interpreter in D.
Jun 26 2006
next sibling parent reply Rémy Mouëza <Rémy_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e7pe35$1ote$1 digitaldaemon.com>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jari-Matti_M=E4kel=E4?= says...
Rémy Mouëza wrote:
 Actually, I think that I am too demanding with a for-fun project. Maybe I
should
 keep quiet and implement my own Pythonish/Smalltalkish language in D.
I guess there's not much use to make yet another scripting language unless it's a for-fun project. You might want to try Ruby. It has many features in common with D. I'm not sure if someone has already made an attempt to implement a Ruby interpreter in D.
I've tried to learn Ruby several times, but I did not manage to get really interested and keep going mainly because it has all the good things I like in Python ( and even code blocks à la Smalltalk ) but seems to have a little less clear syntax. It made me stick to Python. And D of course. As I know Python more than Ruby, maybe I should look forward using PyPy to implement a Python interpreter in D. The problem also is that I want to do too much things... and don't have time to do them all.
Jun 26 2006
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jari-Matti_M=E4kel=E4?= <jmjmak utu.fi.invalid> writes:
Rémy Mouëza wrote:
 I've tried to learn Ruby several times, but I did not manage to get really
 interested and keep going mainly because it has all the good things I like in
 Python ( and even code blocks à la Smalltalk ) but seems to have a little less
 clear syntax. It made me stick to Python. And D of course.
I myself am starting to like Ruby - pure OOP :) Reminds me of Smalltalk, Perl and D - in a good way.
 As I know Python more than Ruby, maybe I should look forward using PyPy to
 implement a Python interpreter in D.
There's already PyD, http://dsource.org/projects/pyd. But it's only a wrapper around existing stuff. Perhaps converting existing code would be much easier from projects like Jython / IronPython since they're already syntactically almost like D.
Jun 26 2006
prev sibling parent "Kashia Buch" <kashia.buch web.de> writes:
Hi,

 I guess there's not much use to make yet another scripting language
 unless it's a for-fun project. You might want to try Ruby. It has many
 features in common with D. I'm not sure if someone has already made an
 attempt to implement a Ruby interpreter in D.
Not exactly interpreter, but a bridge from myself: untested beyond myself, might require special ares/phobos mix, not for the faint of heart. For support, you can ask me, don't expect too much though. License is unspecified. Do with it what you want (it probably won't work for you anyway, if it does, great). Kash -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Jun 27 2006
prev sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Rémy Mouëza" <ray.jay.ay.moueza DoNtSpAm.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:e7p9ui$1eoh$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Sorry, I don't want to be offensive, but I don't see lots of "interest" of
 doing
 a scripting language so close to D, althought without adding any "new"
 stuff
 that are typical of dynamic language.

 The way I see it : D has lot of strength and weaknesses. What about doing
 dynamic language that would make a kind of balance by supporting features
 that
 would releave D where it kind of fails ? From what I have seen, this is
 not what
 MiniD is planning to do. And maybe it is not what you intended to do.
You're absolutely right, and as I go along, MiniD might evolve into something far different from what it is now.
 First, I would either leave the strongly typing system for something more
 dynamic ( more like scripting language ), or keep it strong but would make
 much
 more type inference, going beyond what D is doing, something looking like
 Nemerle.
A type-inferred language would be very interesting to write. Though I'd kind of like to stick to some form of static typing, if nothing else as a proof-of-concept that a statically-typed scripting language can be higher-performance than dynamically typed ones.
 Second, I would implement some symbolic stuff or some kind of reflection
 manipulate the type system or make something like meta object protocol to
 be
 able to programatically transform the MiniD programs. This could allow for
 aspect oriented stuffs and more.
Bizarre!
 Actually, I think that I am too demanding with a for-fun project. Maybe I
 should
 keep quiet and implement my own Pythonish/Smalltalkish language in D.
Hehe :) I'd like to see it.
 Anyway, D is a high level programming language, with features closed to
 dynamic
 languages and high performance. I think it's the language of choice to
 implement
 a scripting language. The more scripting language implemention we'll have,
 the
 best we'll be able to prove it.

 MiniD is a good idea.
 Good luck !
You too!
Jun 26 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
[...]

If you use zlib/png license, then you can freely borrow code from the Squirrel project (with acknowledgment of course), and commercial applications can freely use it. :)
Jun 26 2006
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"clayasaurus" <clayasaurus gmail.com> wrote in message
news:e7pa43$1f94$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 If you use zlib/png license, then you can freely borrow code from the
 Squirrel project (with acknowledgment of course), and commercial
 applications can freely use it. :)
Cool, thanks for the tip. I'm not real familiar with all the licensing that usually goes along with OSS.
Jun 26 2006
parent Chris Nicholson-Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "clayasaurus" <clayasaurus gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:e7pa43$1f94$1 digitaldaemon.com...

If you use zlib/png license, then you can freely borrow code from the
Squirrel project (with acknowledgment of course), and commercial
applications can freely use it. :)
Cool, thanks for the tip. I'm not real familiar with all the licensing that usually goes along with OSS.
I've been using the Artistic License 2.0 for some things, and rather like it. http://dev.perl.org/perl6/rfc/346.html The zlib/png license is good too, however. Personal taste will probably decide it. On a side note, I rather like the look of the language, and do appreciate a very D-ish feel. I might just try to use it in some projects in the future once you get a referance implementation together. -- Chris Nicholson-Sauls
Jun 26 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Boris Wang" <nano.kago hotmail.com> writes:
Can we make the whole D running interpreted or something just-in-time
compile?

"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com>
дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:e7ngne$a46$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

"Boris Wang" <nano.kago hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e7q6kq$aq7$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Can we make the whole D running interpreted or something just-in-time
 compile?
MiniD is not a scriptable D; it's just a scripting language that looks like D. You'll have a native host program, most likely written in D, which will load MiniD code (either source or compiled into bytecode) and run it. JIT compiling is a little over my head :S
Jun 26 2006
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "Boris Wang" <nano.kago hotmail.com> wrote in message
 news:e7q6kq$aq7$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Can we make the whole D running interpreted or something just-in-time
compile?
[snip] ... JIT compiling is a little over my head :S
With that attitude it always will be... -- Regards, James Dunne
Jun 26 2006
parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"James Dunne" <james.jdunne gmail.com> wrote in message
news:e7qdv5$k3m$2 digitaldaemon.com...

 With that attitude it always will be...
Oh foo!
Jun 27 2006
prev sibling parent reply Rémy Mouëza <ray.jay.ay.moueza DoNtSpAm.gmail.com> writes:
In article <e7q97v$e04$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jarrett Billingsley says...
"Boris Wang" <nano.kago hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e7q6kq$aq7$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Can we make the whole D running interpreted or something just-in-time
 compile?
MiniD is not a scriptable D; it's just a scripting language that looks like D. You'll have a native host program, most likely written in D, which will load MiniD code (either source or compiled into bytecode) and run it. JIT compiling is a little over my head :S
A few years ago, when I was dreaming to make my own little programming language, I've seen the libjit library : http://www.southern-storm.com.au/libjit.html (I am still dreaming now, but I have more ideas of how to do it.) I know very little about it. There is a C interface and it aims to be portable. Native code generation is not the only way to optimize a bytecode program : I've heard about some Smalltalk variant that was not using the 256 bytes possible to code the bytecode instructions. The remaining bytes where used to create macro instructions. The bytecode was first analysed, the bytecode sequences that was appearing frequently where detected and kind of precompiled into a macro instruction wich number was placed in the available bytes. Then, the bytecode was reduced : the sequences where replaced with their corresponding macro numbers. The program sized was shorten and the macros allowed to reduce the amount of lookup and stack frame to be used and made the program more efficient/fast.
Jun 27 2006
parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Rémy Mouëza" <ray.jay.ay.moueza DoNtSpAm.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:e7ruk6$2o5n$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 A few years ago, when I was dreaming to make my own little programming
 language,
 I've seen the libjit library :
 http://www.southern-storm.com.au/libjit.html

 (I am still dreaming now, but I have more ideas of how to do it.)
 I know very little about it. There is a C interface and it aims to be
 portable.
Wow; that library looks amazing. I'll definitely keep it in mind! It certainly doesn't look very difficult to use.
Jun 27 2006
prev sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Just want to say that this project looks good in the "Scripting language
that can easily be used by D users" category. For this reason I favor
MiniD over a native Squirrel port. Goodluck!
~ Clay

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
[...]

Jun 28 2006