digitalmars.D.announce - Professor Automaton's Cruel Legume Device

reply mclysenk mtu.edu writes:
Well, the school semester is almost over and most of my projects are getting
wrapped up.  I figured I should post the results of my team software project.

http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/project/group2/www/index.html

It is written entirely in D, using Derelict, SDL and SDL mixer.  The gameplay is
similar to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Puyo Puyo.

Throughout the project, we extensively used contract programming and unittests.
As a result, we finished our project ahead of schedule and with fewer major bugs
than any of the other teams.  I would like to say that D directly improved the
productivity and success of our project.

You can see some of the other projects here:
http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/www/Home.html

Any feedback at all would be appreciated.

-Mikola Lysenko
Apr 27 2006
next sibling parent pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e2r9ic$2ta6$1 digitaldaemon.com>, mclysenk mtu.edu says...
Well, the school semester is almost over and most of my projects are getting
wrapped up.  I figured I should post the results of my team software project.

http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/project/group2/www/index.html

It is written entirely in D, using Derelict, SDL and SDL mixer.  The gameplay is
similar to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Puyo Puyo.

Throughout the project, we extensively used contract programming and unittests.
As a result, we finished our project ahead of schedule and with fewer major bugs
than any of the other teams.  I would like to say that D directly improved the
productivity and success of our project.

You can see some of the other projects here:
http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/www/Home.html

Any feedback at all would be appreciated.
I'd say your team completely dominated the entire competition - you're the only one with a usable demo *and* screenshots (as near as I can tell anyway). Bravo. I'm looking forward to playing this later. - EricAnderton at yahoo
Apr 27 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
At my univ we've been doing presentations for the 'English for
Information Technology' course. Students have grouped into teams of 2 or
3 persons and we chose some topics to present. Me and my friend were
lucky to talk about computer games. To accompany the presentation, I
made a simple game in D. It's a combination of Die-Hard and quiz games :)

The name of the game is STFU, which obviously means 'Shoot That Fat Uncle'.

here's the download link:
http://www.mat.uni.torun.pl/~h3r3tic/STFU.zip

and a screenshot:
http://www.mat.uni.torun.pl/~h3r3tic/STFU_shot.png

The .zip archive contains the full source code (You'll need Build 2.09,
DMD.154 and Derelict to compile it yourself) and binary versions for
Windows and Linux. The linux version was compiled on SuSE and it
requires you to have OpenGL, GLU, SDL, SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf and DevIL
runtimes (.so files)

The game has been completed in under a week (some source has been taken
from my other D projects) so not much testing was done. It worked on 90%
of test platforms, showing weird problems on one system with GeForce7800
and one ATI x1800. That's yet to be debugged. But it ran fine on
platforms ranging from SiS and Intel graphics cards, thru Riva TNT to
GF5 series.
If you experience any problems, please send your hardware specifications
and a description of the problem to the email: h3r3tic xx o2 xx pl

During most of the game you're supposed to shoot the guys that give bad
answers to questions. You shoot with your left mouse button, reload with
the right.
The faces of ingame characters are the faces of folks from my univ
stolen completely with no permission but laughed over ;)

Enjoy :D

--

Tomasz Stachowiak  /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
Apr 27 2006
parent James Dunne <james.jdunne gmail.com> writes:
Tom S wrote:
[...]

That's awesome. -- Regards, James Dunne
Apr 30 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
Hey there ! Cool game :) Worked flawlessly on my system.

Keep up the good work !

--

Tomasz Stachowiak  /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
Apr 27 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
I've been allowed to use any high level language I want for my software
engineering course, and I choose D. I'm usually surprised by how elegant
the D solutions are.

mclysenk mtu.edu wrote:
 Well, the school semester is almost over and most of my projects are getting
 wrapped up.  I figured I should post the results of my team software project.

 http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/project/group2/www/index.html

 It is written entirely in D, using Derelict, SDL and SDL mixer.  The gameplay
is
 similar to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Puyo Puyo.

 Throughout the project, we extensively used contract programming and unittests.
 As a result, we finished our project ahead of schedule and with fewer major
bugs
 than any of the other teams.  I would like to say that D directly improved the
 productivity and success of our project.

 You can see some of the other projects here:
 http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/www/Home.html

 Any feedback at all would be appreciated.

 -Mikola Lysenko

Apr 28 2006
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
clayasaurus wrote:
 I've been allowed to use any high level language I want for my software
 engineering course, and I choose D. I'm usually surprised by how elegant
 the D solutions are.
That aspect is one of the problems D has in gaining mindshare - people look at it and see a grab-bag of C++ like features, and figure they'll just stay with C++. It's only after they actually use it for a bit do they notice the real advantages coming through. The sum really is a lot more than just the individual features.
Apr 28 2006
parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Would you both be okay with putting this on the Digital Mars D front
page as a genuine customer quote?

Walter Bright wrote:
 clayasaurus wrote:

 I've been allowed to use any high level language I want for my
 software engineering course, and I choose D. I'm usually surprised by
 how elegant the D solutions are.
That aspect is one of the problems D has in gaining mindshare - people look at it and see a grab-bag of C++ like features, and figure they'll just stay with C++. It's only after they actually use it for a bit do they notice the real advantages coming through. The sum really is a lot more than just the individual features.
May 01 2006
parent Walter Bright <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Not a bad idea.

prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
<mclysenk mtu.edu> wrote in message news:e2r9ic$2ta6$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Oh, man, how nostalgic.. one of my favorite games for the genesis, and with MOD music! The graphics aren't much to look at, but this is the result of too many programmers and not enough graphics artists - been there before ;) The gameplay feels pretty solid, though there's a bit of a hiccup every minute or so. Don't know if this is because of something in the game timing or because of the GC collecting. I think it might have been the GC, because as time went on, the program continued to use more and more memory, until it got to almot 80MB and started hiccupping every minute or two. Thinking you've got some kind of leak (not catastrophic, thanks to the GC, but still not something you want in a game!). Would be great to see the source!
Apr 28 2006
parent mclysenk mtu.edu writes:
In article <e2ulf7$1ipo$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jarrett Billingsley says...
[...]

Hmm... I will need to take a look at that once I get a moment. As for the source, I'm not sure if I can release it, since the university technically owns the rights, but it would probably be ok once I get instructor approval.
Apr 29 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Walter Bright <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
mclysenk mtu.edu wrote:
 Well, the school semester is almost over and most of my projects are getting
 wrapped up.  I figured I should post the results of my team software project.

 http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/project/group2/www/index.html

 It is written entirely in D, using Derelict, SDL and SDL mixer.  The gameplay
is
 similar to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Puyo Puyo.

 Throughout the project, we extensively used contract programming and unittests.
 As a result, we finished our project ahead of schedule and with fewer major
bugs
 than any of the other teams.  I would like to say that D directly improved the
 productivity and success of our project.

 You can see some of the other projects here:
 http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/www/Home.html

 Any feedback at all would be appreciated.
Congratulations on your success with your project! Can I ask you to put something on the web page saying it was implemented in the D programming language, etc., and the stuff you posted here? Thanks!
Apr 28 2006
prev sibling parent reply Tydr Schnubbis <fake address.dude> writes:
mclysenk mtu.edu wrote:
 Well, the school semester is almost over and most of my projects are getting
 wrapped up.  I figured I should post the results of my team software project.

 http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/project/group2/www/index.html

 It is written entirely in D, using Derelict, SDL and SDL mixer.  The gameplay
is
 similar to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Puyo Puyo.

 Throughout the project, we extensively used contract programming and unittests.
 As a result, we finished our project ahead of schedule and with fewer major
bugs
 than any of the other teams.  I would like to say that D directly improved the
 productivity and success of our project.

 You can see some of the other projects here:
 http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs3141/www/Home.html

 Any feedback at all would be appreciated.

 -Mikola Lysenko

I tried the single player. It looks cool, and the music is nice. Only thing is it gets a bit boring after a while, because it's just too easy. A only played until the second level (underwater), but it didn't seem any harder than the first. So I could probably have played forever, which isn't very challenging.
Apr 29 2006
parent reply mclyse <mclyse_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e2v5k3$2aa6$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Tydr Schnubbis says...
mclysenk mtu.edu wrote:
[...]

That's because it is only for practice. The real single player is when you fight the bots. You can cycle through the bots by clicking on their name in the Vs. AI menu.
Apr 29 2006
mclyse wrote:
 In article <e2v5k3$2aa6$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Tydr Schnubbis says...
I tried the single player.  It looks cool, and the music is nice.  Only
thing is it gets a bit boring after a while, because it's just too easy.
  A only played until the second level (underwater), but it didn't seem
any harder than the first.  So I could probably have played forever,
which isn't very challenging.
That's because it is only for practice. The real single player is when you fight the bots. You can cycle through the bots by clicking on their name in the Vs. AI menu.
Oh, I thought 'practice' and 'Vs. AI' was the same thing. It's a lot more fun now. But I sort of wish there was a way to know the skill level of the different AI's. Just a bunch of names doesn't tell me much.
Apr 30 2006
Tydr Schnubbis wrote:
 mclyse wrote:

 In article <e2v5k3$2aa6$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Tydr Schnubbis says...

 I tried the single player.  It looks cool, and the music is nice.
 Only thing is it gets a bit boring after a while, because it's just
 too easy.  A only played until the second level (underwater), but it
 didn't seem any harder than the first.  So I could probably have
 played forever, which isn't very challenging.
That's because it is only for practice. The real single player is when you fight the bots. You can cycle through the bots by clicking on their name in the Vs. AI menu.
Oh, I thought 'practice' and 'Vs. AI' was the same thing. It's a lot more fun now. But I sort of wish there was a way to know the skill level of the different AI's. Just a bunch of names doesn't tell me much.
You learn as long as you live. In real life you don't know the skill levels of your opponents either, till you get used to them. :-)
May 01 2006
parent Tydr Schnubbis <fake address.dude> writes:
Georg Wrede wrote:
 Tydr Schnubbis wrote:
 mclyse wrote:

[...]

Yes, but most people don't want gaming to take up as much time as 'real life', so you people might not like it if a game wastes their time-wasting time with something that doesn't contribute to the fun of their wasted time. Or something.
May 01 2006