digitalmars.D.announce - DMD 0.131 release

reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Hopefully resolves the Linux line number problems.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
Sep 09 2005
next sibling parent reply David L. Davis <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> writes:
In article <dfrj9u$1goe$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
Hopefully resolves the Linux line number problems.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
Walter, I was wondering, will the character literals for char, wchar, and dchar datatypes get the same suffix treatment added to them as the string literals char[], wchar[], and dchar[] datatypes did with the "char[]"c, "wchar[]"w, and "dchar[]"d? Thanks for your reply in advance. David L. ------------------------------------------------------------------- "Dare to reach for the Stars...Dare to Dream, Build, and Achieve!" ------------------------------------------------------------------- MKoD: http://spottedtiger.tripod.com/D_Language/D_Main_XP.html
Sep 10 2005
next sibling parent reply David L. Davis <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> writes:
In article <dfutpn$260n$1 digitaldaemon.com>, David L. Davis says...
In article <dfrj9u$1goe$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
Hopefully resolves the Linux line number problems.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
Walter, I was wondering, will the character literals for char, wchar, and dchar datatypes get the same suffix treatment added to them as the string literals char[], wchar[], and dchar[] datatypes did with the "char[]"c, "wchar[]"w, and "dchar[]"d? Thanks for your reply in advance. David L.
Walter, Opps! Replace "suffix" with "postfix"...darn it! I've always had this problem with right-hand-side, left-hand-side...it really caused me a lot of trouble during these quick marching practices I had to do back when I was in the U.S. Army. I had to slightly giggle my right hand to keep myself straight, man was that a chore! <g> David L. ------------------------------------------------------------------- "Dare to reach for the Stars...Dare to Dream, Build, and Achieve!" ------------------------------------------------------------------- MKoD: http://spottedtiger.tripod.com/D_Language/D_Main_XP.html
Sep 10 2005
next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"David L. Davis" <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:dfv1bh$2cob$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Opps! Replace "suffix" with "postfix"...darn it!
Actually, you got it right the first time - a suffix is something tacked on to the end. A prefix is tacked on to the beginning. And postfix.. I don't think it's a noun ;)
Sep 10 2005
next sibling parent David L. Davis <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> writes:
In article <dfvg7h$hdt$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jarrett Billingsley says...
"David L. Davis" <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:dfv1bh$2cob$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Opps! Replace "suffix" with "postfix"...darn it!
Actually, you got it right the first time - a suffix is something tacked on to the end. A prefix is tacked on to the beginning. And postfix.. I don't think it's a noun ;)
Jarrett, Thanks, you're right. :) But please replace "giggle" with "wiggle"...;) Gee! I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today. David L. ------------------------------------------------------------------- "Dare to reach for the Stars...Dare to Dream, Build, and Achieve!" ------------------------------------------------------------------- MKoD: http://spottedtiger.tripod.com/D_Language/D_Main_XP.html
Sep 10 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent John Demme <me teqdruid.com> writes:
 "David L. Davis" <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> wrote in message
 news:dfv1bh$2cob$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Opps! Replace "suffix" with "postfix"...darn it!
Actually, you got it right the first time - a suffix is something tacked on to the end. A prefix is tacked on to the beginning. And postfix.. I don't think it's a noun ;)
Postfix is an SMTP server. A pretty good one, too.
Sep 10 2005
prev sibling parent Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "David L. Davis" <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> wrote in message
 news:dfv1bh$2cob$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Opps! Replace "suffix" with "postfix"...darn it!
Actually, you got it right the first time - a suffix is something tacked on to the end. A prefix is tacked on to the beginning. And postfix.. I don't think it's a noun ;)
Out of curiousity, I checked with a dictionary, and it has postfix listed, as a synonym to suffix... Not really surprising, postposition is a word (compliment to preposition) so why shouldn't postfix be? :) -- Chris Sauls
Sep 11 2005
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
David L. Davis wrote:

 Walter,

 Opps! Replace "suffix" with "postfix"...darn it! I've always had this problem
 with right-hand-side, left-hand-side...it really caused me a lot of trouble
 during these quick marching practices I had to do back when I was in the U.S.
 Army. I had to slightly giggle my right hand to keep myself straight, man was
 that a chore! <g>

 David L.

 "Dare to reach for the Stars...Dare to Dream, Build, and Achieve!"

 MKoD: http://spottedtiger.tripod.com/D_Language/D_Main_XP.html
I hear you, David. I've always had the same problem. In latter years it hasn't been so bad as when I was young. My method of determining which hand has always been to flick the fingers. That technique goes back to when I used to play a game (Canadian origin, I think) called Crokinole. You had to flick round plastic (or wood) pieces across a plywood board. I am right-handed... so that helped me determine that hand. :-) Now and again, when I'm wasted, I still forget right and left. I guess we're all burdened with some handicap, whether it be physical or abstract. :-P -JJR
Sep 10 2005
parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 David L. Davis wrote:
[...]
Very interesting. When I was doing my driving license exam, the inspector kept on babbling and asking things. I was busy driving by the book. Then he told me to turn left and I turned right. He got suspicious that I was avoiding a particular difficult crossing down the block. Heh, I told him my mother tongue is not Finnish, it's Swedish. (Which was a lie, of course.) Even today if I'm driving and somebody quickly tells me to turn either way, I probably turn the opposite way. What really interests me is that I've never had any other problems related to this. (Like driving on the wrong lane, not knowing which hand to use for things, or operating complicated machinery.)
Sep 12 2005
parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <43258ECF.8030305 nospam.org>, Georg Wrede says...
John Reimer wrote:
 David L. Davis wrote:
[...]
My wife has this problem too. Typically, its only when she's preoccupied with something. I used to try and remind her that "right is the hand you write with", but it never really stuck (not for any lack of trying). Now that we've been together for a while, I can now pick up on when she's most likely to juxtapose the two... and I instinctively tell her the wrong (right) direction. ;) There's just something about this kind of thing that is terribly hard to unlearn, but its not at all uncommon. - EricAnderton at yahoo
Sep 12 2005
In article <dg47jj$1tad$1 digitaldaemon.com>, pragma says...
John Reimer wrote:
 David L. Davis wrote:
[...]
I have never met anyone with the handicap, but I have heard that it is possible to loose the ability to understand right (or left) while still being able to understand the other side. (Look up the book "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat")
Sep 13 2005

John Reimer wrote:

David L. Davis wrote:

[...]
Yeah, well, I could tell you all about how my ex wife mistook me for a loser. ;-( Anyhow, this is totally separate from the Hat issue. (I've read the book.)
Sep 13 2005
prev sibling parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"David L. Davis" <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:dfutpn$260n$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I was wondering, will the character literals for char, wchar, and dchar
 datatypes get the same suffix treatment added to them as the string
literals
 char[], wchar[], and dchar[] datatypes did with the "char[]"c, "wchar[]"w,
and
 "dchar[]"d?
That should probably be done, too.
Sep 10 2005
prev sibling parent reply John Demme <me teqdruid.com> writes:
Walter, I could kiss you!

Thanks,
John Demme