www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Work & D

reply WH <abc totallyrealdomainname.com> writes:
Hi,

I'm a Computer Science student who discovered D a couple of years 
ago and has made a couple of projects in D (for instance: [1]). 
My summer break is starting soon, so working on open source seems 
like a good opportunity to earn some experience (and possibly, 
some money?).

I did discover the bug bounty list [2], but I am not by any means 
a compiler/language runtime expert and these all seem hard 
projects to work on. Are there any simpler projects for me to 
start with (e.g. writing documentation/tutorials/examples, fixing 
bugs, writing test, etc.) and make a bit of money along the way?

Cheers

[1] https://github.com/w2ptr/exactmath
[2] https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NjI2Njg=
Jul 06
next sibling parent reply Guillaume Piolat <first.name domain.tld> writes:
On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 11:27:31 UTC, WH wrote:
 Hi,

 I'm a Computer Science student who discovered D a couple of 
 years ago and has made a couple of projects in D (for instance: 
 [1]). My summer break is starting soon, so working on open 
 source seems like a good opportunity to earn some experience 
 (and possibly, some money?).

 I did discover the bug bounty list [2], but I am not by any 
 means a compiler/language runtime expert and these all seem 
 hard projects to work on. Are there any simpler projects for me 
 to start with (e.g. writing documentation/tutorials/examples, 
 fixing bugs, writing test, etc.) and make a bit of money along 
 the way?

 Cheers

 [1] https://github.com/w2ptr/exactmath
 [2] https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NjI2Njg=
Hello, Dplug is not a core proposition of D but has Bug Bounties: https://github.com/AuburnSounds/Dplug/wiki/Bug-Bounty-Program List of bounties can eventually be tweaked to match a preferred topic. You would retain full copyright but must agree for your changes to be Boost 1.0 licensed. If interested, do not hesitate to get in touch through Discord. Guillaume P.
Jul 06
parent WH <abc totallyrealdomainname.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 11:45:04 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
 On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 11:27:31 UTC, WH wrote:
 [...]
Hello, Dplug is not a core proposition of D but has Bug Bounties: https://github.com/AuburnSounds/Dplug/wiki/Bug-Bounty-Program List of bounties can eventually be tweaked to match a preferred topic. You would retain full copyright but must agree for your changes to be Boost 1.0 licensed. If interested, do not hesitate to get in touch through Discord. Guillaume P.
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
Jul 06
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Mike Parker <aldacron gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 11:27:31 UTC, WH wrote:
 Hi,

 I'm a Computer Science student who discovered D a couple of 
 years ago and has made a couple of projects in D (for instance: 
 [1]). My summer break is starting soon, so working on open 
 source seems like a good opportunity to earn some experience 
 (and possibly, some money?).

 I did discover the bug bounty list [2], but I am not by any 
 means a compiler/language runtime expert and these all seem 
 hard projects to work on. Are there any simpler projects for me 
 to start with (e.g. writing documentation/tutorials/examples, 
 fixing bugs, writing test, etc.) and make a bit of money along 
 the way?

 Cheers

 [1] https://github.com/w2ptr/exactmath
 [2] https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NjI2Njg=
You could apply for the upcoming Symmetry Autumn of Code: https://dlang.org/blog/symmetry-autumn-of-code/
Jul 06
parent WH <abc totallyrealdomainname.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 12:11:27 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
 On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 11:27:31 UTC, WH wrote:
 [...]
You could apply for the upcoming Symmetry Autumn of Code: https://dlang.org/blog/symmetry-autumn-of-code/
Thanks, I don't know yet if I'm going to have enough time then, but if I do, I'll make sure to sign up.
Jul 06
prev sibling next sibling parent reply RazvanN <razvan.nitu1305 gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 11:27:31 UTC, WH wrote:
 
Hi WH! Welcome to our community. If you want to get engaged there are multiple ways: 1. https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues has a list of projects that vary in complexity, however, there are a few that are doable by entry level persons: https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/84 https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/81 https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/80 There might be others, I just skimmed through the first page. 2. https://issues.dlang.org/ is our bug tracker. There are multiple repos where you can contribute but I would suggest starting with documentation bugs (https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?component=dlang.org&list_id=236695&produ t=D&resolution=---) or with standard library bugs (https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?component=phobos&list_id=236696&produc =D&resolution=---). Some of them might be more complicated, but I'm sure you'll find easier ones also. Note: there is also the bootcamp keyword which is usually used for simpler bugs (https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bootcamp&list_id=236697) 3. We are trying to enforce a specific style in our standard library. For that we use an automated tool (called dscanner) that checks style guidelines, however, some files are excepted due to historical reasons. We are trying to fix them as much as possible and contributions in this area are low hanging, high impact, fruit. To give you some pointers: check this dscanner configuration file [1]. The name of the checks are self explanatory and there are indications in that file. This could be a good contribution start. [1] https://github.com/dlang/phobos/blob/master/.dscanner.ini#L103 These options are not going to bring you any money, but will help you with your github portfolio and will put you in a good position to get funding from SAoC/GSOC etc. in the future. Also, for any questions, you can join our slack channel (dlang.slack.com). Cheers, RazvanN
Jul 07
parent reply WH <abc totallyrealdomainname.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 7 July 2021 at 10:43:18 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
 On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 11:27:31 UTC, WH wrote:
 [...]
Hi WH! Welcome to our community. If you want to get engaged there are multiple ways: 1. https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues has a list of projects that vary in complexity, however, there are a few that are doable by entry level persons: https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/84 https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/81 https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/80 There might be others, I just skimmed through the first page. 2. https://issues.dlang.org/ is our bug tracker. There are multiple repos where you can contribute but I would suggest starting with documentation bugs (https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?component=dlang.org&list_id=236695&produ t=D&resolution=---) or with standard library bugs (https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?component=phobos&list_id=236696&produc =D&resolution=---). Some of them might be more complicated, but I'm sure you'll find easier ones also. Note: there is also the bootcamp keyword which is usually used for simpler bugs (https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bootcamp&list_id=236697) 3. We are trying to enforce a specific style in our standard library. For that we use an automated tool (called dscanner) that checks style guidelines, however, some files are excepted due to historical reasons. We are trying to fix them as much as possible and contributions in this area are low hanging, high impact, fruit. To give you some pointers: check this dscanner configuration file [1]. The name of the checks are self explanatory and there are indications in that file. This could be a good contribution start. [1] https://github.com/dlang/phobos/blob/master/.dscanner.ini#L103 These options are not going to bring you any money, but will help you with your github portfolio and will put you in a good position to get funding from SAoC/GSOC etc. in the future. Also, for any questions, you can join our slack channel (dlang.slack.com). Cheers, RazvanN
I think I might start by working on some of the simple issues. especially for Android projects. Thank you so much!
Jul 07
parent Adam D Ruppe <destructionator gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 7 July 2021 at 17:06:53 UTC, WH wrote:
 I think I might start by working on some of the simple issues. 

 especially for Android projects.
There's a comment in there linking to my code, I actually wrote it for Android stuff... but I've never done more than hello world in android myself. It also sometimes useful for other Java projects. If you wanna work with it I'm open to helping out. It is a pretty cool approach http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/arsd.jni.html my docs there have a small example of how nice it can work. I didn't know that project was there but I wrote me thing in December 2019 so it probably could close it but there's some edges where my thing could probably still use more testing etc.
Jul 07
prev sibling parent reply solidstate1991 <laszloszeremi outlook.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 11:27:31 UTC, WH wrote:
 Hi,

 I'm a Computer Science student who discovered D a couple of 
 years ago and has made a couple of projects in D (for instance: 
 [1]). My summer break is starting soon, so working on open 
 source seems like a good opportunity to earn some experience 
 (and possibly, some money?).

 I did discover the bug bounty list [2], but I am not by any 
 means a compiler/language runtime expert and these all seem 
 hard projects to work on. Are there any simpler projects for me 
 to start with (e.g. writing documentation/tutorials/examples, 
 fixing bugs, writing test, etc.) and make a bit of money along 
 the way?

 Cheers

 [1] https://github.com/w2ptr/exactmath
 [2] https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NjI2Njg=
While I managed to find a few people for my game engine project (we even have a game planned for it and now I'm starting the custom audio subsystem again - this time much simpler at first), I would still use a few helping hand or two in the team. The editor needs more features to be implemented, like placing objects (selection will work soon), or writing documentation (a comprehensive manual is also being written). https://github.com/ZILtoid1991/pixelperfectengine If you're serious, then I can add you to my discord server.
Jul 13
parent WH <abc totallyrealdomainname.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 13 July 2021 at 19:59:40 UTC, solidstate1991 wrote:
 [...]
 While I managed to find a few people for my game engine project 
 (we even have a game planned for it and now I'm starting the 
 custom audio subsystem again - this time much simpler at 
 first), I would still use a few helping hand or two in the 
 team. The editor needs more features to be implemented, like 
 placing objects (selection will work soon), or writing 
 documentation (a comprehensive manual is also being written).

 https://github.com/ZILtoid1991/pixelperfectengine

 If you're serious, then I can add you to my discord server.
Sounds like a very interesting project, I am available for work for about two months and after that I don't know how busy I am going to be. Are you in the dlang Discord server? (My username there is WH505.)
Jul 14