www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Travis-CI.org has shut down

reply Rikki Cattermole <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
Hello everyone!

A little devops update, since there is a number of projects in 
the D-sphere that have used travis-ci.org in the past.

As per their blog post[0], they have shut down their .org domain.

What this means to us as developers is if you still use 
travis-ci.org for your CI rather than travis-ci.com it will no 
longer work and therefore checks won't pass when making PR's.

Over on the dlang-community organization, Amin Yahyaabadi 
( aminya) has very kindly created a PR that replaces DCD's Travis 
scripts over to Github Actions. I have tested it after merging, 
and it is good to go!

Furthermore, if you need any admin assistance with bringing any 
dlang-community repository from travis-ci.org to another CI 
system please feel free to ping me ( rikkimax).

[0] https://blog.travis-ci.com/2021-05-07-orgshutdown
Jun 01
next sibling parent Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy gmail.com> writes:
On 6/1/21 11:54 AM, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 Hello everyone!
 
 A little devops update, since there is a number of projects in the 
 D-sphere that have used travis-ci.org in the past.
 
 As per their blog post[0], they have shut down their .org domain.
 
 What this means to us as developers is if you still use travis-ci.org 
 for your CI rather than travis-ci.com it will no longer work and 
 therefore checks won't pass when making PR's.
 
 Over on the dlang-community organization, Amin Yahyaabadi ( aminya) has 
 very kindly created a PR that replaces DCD's Travis scripts over to 
 Github Actions. I have tested it after merging, and it is good to go!
 
 Furthermore, if you need any admin assistance with bringing any 
 dlang-community repository from travis-ci.org to another CI system 
 please feel free to ping me ( rikkimax).
 
 [0] https://blog.travis-ci.com/2021-05-07-orgshutdown
Thanks for the reminder, I went in and disabled access to travis from github for mysql-native. Just recently (last weekend) switched to github actions. I had switched to travis-ci.com, and one build used up all the credits available for free projects. -Steve
Jun 01
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 1 June 2021 at 15:54:37 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 As per their blog post[0], they have shut down their .org 
 domain.
I don't know how or why, but it's still working for me: https://travis-ci.org/github/CyberShadow/ae
Jun 01
parent Mathias LANG <geod24 gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 1 June 2021 at 17:59:10 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
 On Tuesday, 1 June 2021 at 15:54:37 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 As per their blog post[0], they have shut down their .org 
 domain.
I don't know how or why, but it's still working for me: https://travis-ci.org/github/CyberShadow/ae
Third paragraph: https://blog.travis-ci.com/2021-05-07-orgshutdown
 (Note: You may see builds run for a short period after May 31, 
 2021, but please do not rely on travis-ci.org for performing 
 critical builds after this point.)
Jun 01
prev sibling parent reply FreeSlave <freeslave93 gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 1 June 2021 at 15:54:37 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 Hello everyone!

 A little devops update, since there is a number of projects in 
 the D-sphere that have used travis-ci.org in the past.

 As per their blog post[0], they have shut down their .org 
 domain.

 What this means to us as developers is if you still use 
 travis-ci.org for your CI rather than travis-ci.com it will no 
 longer work and therefore checks won't pass when making PR's.

 Over on the dlang-community organization, Amin Yahyaabadi 
 ( aminya) has very kindly created a PR that replaces DCD's 
 Travis scripts over to Github Actions. I have tested it after 
 merging, and it is good to go!

 Furthermore, if you need any admin assistance with bringing any 
 dlang-community repository from travis-ci.org to another CI 
 system please feel free to ping me ( rikkimax).

 [0] https://blog.travis-ci.com/2021-05-07-orgshutdown
They prolonged it to June 15th. What's not clear to me - is CI for open repositories still as unlimited as before? travis-ci.com has a new tab in profile settings, called Plan, saying I have 10000 Credits. It's not clear how these credits are spent. travis-ci.org did not imply such limits and I've never had a problem with depleting any limits. The "Repositories" tab on travis-ci.com now shows a list of my forks and repos that never had travis-ci integration, but does not show any of my repos that use travis-ci.org. travis-ci.com has a tab called Migrate that lists my repos previously connected to travis, however it does not allow to migrate any of them unless I sign up for beta. If they ask users to change to travis-ci.com should not it be out of beta already? What's the point of asking if it's not ready yet? Reading travis-ci blog does not help. It all became so unclear at this point. This page [1] does not actually explain how to migrate, but says what will migrate once migration is done. [1] https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/migrate/open-source-repository-migration
Jun 03
next sibling parent reply Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy gmail.com> writes:
On 6/3/21 5:01 AM, FreeSlave wrote:

 They prolonged it to June 15th.
 What's not clear to me - is CI for open repositories still as unlimited 
 as before?
No, you get 10000 "credits"
 travis-ci.com has a new tab in profile settings, called Plan, saying I 
 have 10000 Credits. It's not clear how these credits are spent. 
 travis-ci.org did not imply such limits and I've never had a problem 
 with depleting any limits.
There is a page that talks about what credits get you: https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/billing-overview/#usage---credits The big red flag there for me is 50 credits per Macos Minute. That gives you 200 minutes. I believe I ran out of credits for ONE BUILD of mysql-native because of this (the macos builds were kinda broken and always timed out).
 The "Repositories" tab on travis-ci.com now shows a list of my forks and 
 repos that never had travis-ci integration, but does not show any of my 
 repos that use travis-ci.org.
 travis-ci.com has a tab called Migrate that lists my repos previously 
 connected to travis, however it does not allow to migrate any of them 
 unless I sign up for beta. If they ask users to change to travis-ci.com 
 should not it be out of beta already? What's the point of asking if it's 
 not ready yet?
I had to sign up for the beta, and even then I had to wait a while before they added access for me. Once you sign up, then you can add travis-ci.com as a github app, and then you can see all your history (including travis-ci.org history). It was all very confusing. I'm not sure exactly how it works now, I've moved to github actions. -Steve
Jun 03
next sibling parent reply kinke <noone nowhere.com> writes:
On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 13:56:32 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:
 There is a page that talks about what credits get you:

 https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/billing-overview/#usage---credits
FWIW, there are unlimited credits for OSS and AArch64/PowerPC/Z architectures, apparently sponsored by ARM and IBM. After the end of Shippable CI, Travis is, AFAIK, the only free CI service offering AArch64 on Linux. And thus still of relevance for LDC.
Jun 04
parent reply Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw gdcproject.org> writes:
On Friday, 4 June 2021 at 18:25:10 UTC, kinke wrote:
 On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 13:56:32 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
 wrote:
 There is a page that talks about what credits get you:

 https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/billing-overview/#usage---credits
FWIW, there are unlimited credits for OSS and AArch64/PowerPC/Z architectures, apparently sponsored by ARM and IBM. After the end of Shippable CI, Travis is, AFAIK, the only free CI service offering AArch64 on Linux. And thus still of relevance for LDC.
What are the resources like? At the time when I tested, Travis's x86_64 offerings clearly weren't meant for any medium-to-large sized project. Couldn't get anywhere close to finishing the build without hitting the 50 minute timeout, and increasing parallelism would instead mean getting killed for hitting the hard 4GB memory limit.
Jun 04
parent kinke <noone nowhere.com> writes:
On Friday, 4 June 2021 at 22:10:29 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 On Friday, 4 June 2021 at 18:25:10 UTC, kinke wrote:
 On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 13:56:32 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
 wrote:
 There is a page that talks about what credits get you:

 https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/billing-overview/#usage---credits
FWIW, there are unlimited credits for OSS and AArch64/PowerPC/Z architectures, apparently sponsored by ARM and IBM. After the end of Shippable CI, Travis is, AFAIK, the only free CI service offering AArch64 on Linux. And thus still of relevance for LDC.
What are the resources like?
Still with .org and `arch: arm64`: `nproc` lists either 4 or 32 cores (!), `free` 4 GB (I very much doubt that's hard though). So sometimes a full build succeeds with 8 jobs without out-of-memory retries, yielding an overall job time of about 22 minutes (e.g., https://travis-ci.org/github/ldc-developers/ldc/builds/773502971). At other times with an agent with 4 cores, it's about 45 minutes. With .com, I've tested their `arch: arm64-graviton2` a while back, which offered only 2 cores, but a significantly higher per-core performance (comparable to x86_64) IIRC. So not comparable with Shippable, which consistently provided something like 48 cores (with low per-core performance though) and 32/128 GB of memory.
Jun 04
prev sibling parent reply copacetic <zwinkau mailbox.org> writes:
On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 13:56:32 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:
 I'm not sure exactly how it works now, I've moved to github 
 actions.
Has anybody written a summary somewhere? AppVeyor is also acting up today and I have to figure out what I need to change. My needs are simple: Run "dub test" on as many compiler-platform combinations as possible. Ok, I also like to record the test coverage that seems to be unusual compared to other projects.
Jun 12
parent reply Petar Kirov [ZombineDev] <petar.p.kirov gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 12 June 2021 at 10:16:22 UTC, copacetic wrote:
 On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 13:56:32 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
 wrote:
 I'm not sure exactly how it works now, I've moved to github 
 actions.
Has anybody written a summary somewhere? AppVeyor is also acting up today and I have to figure out what I need to change. My needs are simple: Run "dub test" on as many compiler-platform combinations as possible.
TL;DR Use the setup-dlang GH action: https://github.com/dlang-community/setup-dlang
 Ok, I also like to record the test coverage that seems to be 
 unusual compared to other projects.
Checkout vibe.d's GH Actions CI pipeline for a more elaborate example: https://github.com/vibe-d/vibe.d/blob/v0.9.4-beta.2/.github/workflows/ci.yml
Jun 14
parent Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy gmail.com> writes:
On 6/14/21 11:50 AM, Petar Kirov [ZombineDev] wrote:
 On Saturday, 12 June 2021 at 10:16:22 UTC, copacetic wrote:
 My needs are simple: Run "dub test" on as many compiler-platform 
 combinations as possible.
TL;DR Use the setup-dlang GH action: https://github.com/dlang-community/setup-dlang
Yeah, I want to mention how absolutely awesome the setup-dlang action is, it makes things SUPER easy to set up! Thanks for all who made it happen! -Steve
Jun 14
prev sibling parent reply bachmeier <no spam.net> writes:
On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 09:01:28 UTC, FreeSlave wrote:

 They prolonged it to June 15th.
 What's not clear to me - is CI for open repositories still as 
 unlimited as before?

 travis-ci.com has a new tab in profile settings, called Plan, 
 saying I have 10000 Credits. It's not clear how these credits 
 are spent. travis-ci.org did not imply such limits and I've 
 never had a problem with depleting any limits.

 The "Repositories" tab on travis-ci.com now shows a list of my 
 forks and repos that never had travis-ci integration, but does 
 not show any of my repos that use travis-ci.org.
 travis-ci.com has a tab called Migrate that lists my repos 
 previously connected to travis, however it does not allow to 
 migrate any of them unless I sign up for beta. If they ask 
 users to change to travis-ci.com should not it be out of beta 
 already? What's the point of asking if it's not ready yet?


 Reading travis-ci blog does not help. It all became so unclear 
 at this point. This page [1] does not actually explain how to 
 migrate, but says what will migrate once migration is done.

 [1] 
 https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/migrate/open-source-repository-migration
In addition to the information you've already been provided about pricing, here's a blog post where they explain the changes: https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing They couldn't continue as they did before because that meant they were footing the bill for cryptocurrency operations. All the providers are facing the same issue: https://layerci.com/blog/crypto-miners-are-killing-free-ci/
Jun 03
parent reply jmh530 <john.michael.hall gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 15:08:09 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
 [snip]

 In addition to the information you've already been provided 
 about pricing, here's a blog post where they explain the 
 changes:

 https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing

 They couldn't continue as they did before because that meant 
 they were footing the bill for cryptocurrency operations. All 
 the providers are facing the same issue: 
 https://layerci.com/blog/crypto-miners-are-killing-free-ci/
I don't dispute that crypto mining is a concern, but I find the Travis-CI people are a little disingenuous about it. Most obviously, if people are consuming too many resources, then warn them, or queue their projects, or start banning them. If that doesn't work, then move to the pricing model but give enough credits every month so that 95% of the formerly free group won't have to worry about paying. The fact that every open source project I know of is running for the hills from Travis-CI, suggests the free credits are not generous enough.
Jun 03
parent bachmeier <no spam.net> writes:
On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 15:41:16 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
 On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 15:08:09 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
 [snip]

 In addition to the information you've already been provided 
 about pricing, here's a blog post where they explain the 
 changes:

 https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing

 They couldn't continue as they did before because that meant 
 they were footing the bill for cryptocurrency operations. All 
 the providers are facing the same issue: 
 https://layerci.com/blog/crypto-miners-are-killing-free-ci/
I don't dispute that crypto mining is a concern, but I find the Travis-CI people are a little disingenuous about it. Most obviously, if people are consuming too many resources, then warn them, or queue their projects, or start banning them. If that doesn't work, then move to the pricing model but give enough credits every month so that 95% of the formerly free group won't have to worry about paying. The fact that every open source project I know of is running for the hills from Travis-CI, suggests the free credits are not generous enough.
I'm not sure about the details. It's not just Travis CI though. My (limited) understanding is that they'd need a way to catch "open source projects" that slip crypto mining into the build step. It would be a constantly moving target and a neverending drain on resources, so it's easier just to get rid of free CI altogether.
Jun 04