digitalmars.D - idea: ignore case on reserved words.

reply Tom Popovich <Tom_member pathlink.com> writes:
I'd also like to throw out a thought...

Ever see some oracle plsql code?  A key author (Steven Feuerstein) defined
a nice style (upper vs lower) like this

SELECT  name, id, addr
FROM  emp, ...
WHERE  ...;
-----------
UPPER-lower style: all reserved words are written in UPPER-
CASE and all application names are kept in lowercase:

IF TO_NUMBER(the_value) > 22   AND
num1 BETWEEN lval AND hval
THEN
newval := 100;
ELSIF TO_NUMBER (the_valuue) < 1...

--vs--
if to_number(the_value)>22 and
num1 between lval and hval
then
newval := 100;
elsif to_number(the_value) < 1...

e.g another example: the shell loop could be:
FOR  i IN ....
DO
echo $i
DONE

Oracle sql/plsql is case-insensitve.  So by choosing UPPERCASE for keywords  it
allows your
eye to scan it easily since you can skip/pattern match them.

Maybe we could say :  reserved words can be either lower or uppercase
allowing for this style

--------------------------------
int foo( IN int x, INOUT int y ) { ... }
-vs-
int foo( in int x, inout int y ) { ... }
--------------------------------

or in one of your examples:
--------------------------------
int foo(int x, OUT int y, INOUT int z, int q);
-vs-
int foo(int x, out int y, inout int z, int q);
--------------------------------
that way the IN/OUT... can be easily scanned.

In my C++/C coding, since OUT params can be "hidden"
I always use a ugly
/*OUT*/ in the decl stmts (out of convention).
Jul 19 2004
next sibling parent reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cdiemi$157f$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Tom Popovich says...

Maybe we could say :  reserved words can be either lower or uppercase
allowing for this style
Well that would seriously bugger up my class Int. Arcane Jill
Jul 19 2004
parent "Vathix" <vathixSpamFix dprogramming.com> writes:
"Arcane Jill" <Arcane_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cdifjr$15hj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <cdiemi$157f$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Tom Popovich says...

Maybe we could say :  reserved words can be either lower or uppercase
allowing for this style
Well that would seriously bugger up my class Int. Arcane Jill
Even worse, Windows' LONG is an int in D...
Jul 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 Ever see some oracle plsql code?  A key author (Steven Feuerstein) defined
 a nice style (upper vs lower) like this

 SELECT  name, id, addr
 FROM  emp, ...
 WHERE  ...;
 -----------
 UPPER-lower style: all reserved words are written in UPPER-
 CASE and all application names are kept in lowercase:
This one of the things that I do *not* miss from my COBOL days. It seems to imply that keywords are more important that user words, and it's generally the user words (identifiers) that you need to have stand out. Now-a-days I just use a good colorizing editor to highlight/lowlight keywords. -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 20/Jul/04 5:15:56 PM
Jul 20 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Matthias Becker <Matthias_member pathlink.com> writes:
I'd also like to throw out a thought...

Ever see some oracle plsql code?  A key author (Steven Feuerstein) defined
a nice style (upper vs lower) like this

SELECT  name, id, addr
FROM  emp, ...
WHERE  ...;
-----------
UPPER-lower style: all reserved words are written in UPPER-
CASE and all application names are kept in lowercase:

IF TO_NUMBER(the_value) > 22   AND
num1 BETWEEN lval AND hval
THEN
newval := 100;
ELSIF TO_NUMBER (the_valuue) < 1...

--vs--
if to_number(the_value)>22 and
num1 between lval and hval
then
newval := 100;
elsif to_number(the_value) < 1...
[snip]
Oracle sql/plsql is case-insensitve.  So by choosing UPPERCASE for keywords  it
allows your
eye to scan it easily since you can skip/pattern match them.
Looks totaly ugly to me. And we have editors that can colorise the keywords!!! -- Matthias Becker
Jul 20 2004
parent reply Tom Popovich <Tom_member pathlink.com> writes:
But isn't it easier to read the first one when you don't have
a syntax highlighted/colored editor?

--------------------------------
int foo(int x, OUT int y, INOUT int z, int q);
-vs-
int foo(int x, out int y, inout int z, int q);

I'm proposing that users can "opt in" mixed case, when it helps
readability.

Implemention is easy: the compiler will
just lowercase a word before searching the symbol table of reserved words.
[And it would treat  INOUT / inout  the same].

In article <cdikjt$18ni$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthias Becker says...
[...]

Nope. int is reserved! So you'd get: INT foo(INT x, OUT INT y, INOUT INT z, INT q); And no, sorry I can read the lowercase version faster and more easy. INT fac (INT x) { IF (x <= 1) RETURN 1; ELSE RETURN x * fac(x - 1); } No, noway. this is totaly confusing me. In SQL the commands normaly are formated diffrently to other programminglanguages: select * from table where foo = bar SELECT * FROM table WHERE foo = bar This seperates the lines where you use commands from those where you don't visualy. In D and most other programming-languages language defined constructs and userdefined constructs are mixed togther. And you'd get a inconsitency in the language and that is something nobody likes. there is a property "init" build into the language for trivial types. For ayou own types you have to define init on your own. Now imagine that on the buildinversion case is ignored but on your own it isn't. That would be realy iritating. -- Matthias Becker
Jul 21 2004