digitalmars.D - "D is so great"

reply Matthias Becker <Matthias_member pathlink.com> writes:
All people here allwas say: "D is great!". So it seems like I'm stupid or
something. Every second program I try to write using D doesn't work because of
some unexpected behavor of D.

E.g.

This works:

class Foo {
Foo recursive;
}

This works:

class Bar (T) {
T value;
}

So is it realy that stupid that this works:

class Baz (T) {
Baz!(T) recursive;
}

Everytime I try to code anything in D I get such behavior that I don't expect
and often I don't find a workaround. But "D is so great". So are my ideas so
strange that nobody else wants to do the things I want to? Why does nobody else
say D is strange with a lot of unexpected behaviors?

BTW: Why structs don't have constructors? I get crazy about this!

Foo foo;
foo.x = bla;
foo.y = blub;
// start using foo
// *ARGH!!!*

It's so messy.

Even experienced programmers like Andy F. are fooled by the language. We wanted
to simulate the simple ML-line

fun mul x y = x * y

So he wrote:

template MulReturnType (T, U) {
alias typeof(T.init * U.init) MulReturnType;
}

template mul (T, U) {
MulReturnType!(T, U) mul (T x, U y)
{
return x * y;

Of course this doesn't work, as you can overload opMul and structs and classes
don't have an init-property. So you have to use an even more clumsy workaround:

template MulReturnType (T, U) {
T tValue;
U uValue;
alias typeof(tValue * uValue) ReturnType;
}

template mul (T, U) {
MulReturnType!(T, U).ReturnType mul (T x, U y)
{
return x * y;

And this is needed only for one very simple line of ML!

OK, perhaps Andy just expected other programmers to be smart enough to write a
init-property for types that should be useable in istuations like this?

BTW, can somebody tell me for what reason you want to overload opMul for a
class? I expect to use op * only on things like numbers. But numbers are
valu-etypes not reference-types. A number is defined by its value. You can sotre
it a million times at different places, it's allways the same number if it has
the same value. This is totaly different to reference-types. E.g. a Car is
identifyed by its identity, not its value. if you have two cars, both are red
and both are build 1995 it doesn't mean that they are the same cars. Their
values isn't interesting, but their identity.
D is powerfull enough to express something like this: You can use class for
identity-defined-objects and struct for value-defined-objects. (OK, than you
once again have the problem that structs doen't have a c'tor!)

Could anybody explain me, in which I you'd want to overload opMul on classes?

The more I use D the less I like it. But it's defently me, as "D is so great!".
Jul 12 2004
next sibling parent Daniel Horn <hellcatv hotmail.com> writes:
I think you need to do .Baz!(T) recursive;
I complained about this when I was first on the board as well :-)
the . tells the compiler to resolve the symbol from the global scope

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Matthias Becker wrote:

 Could anybody explain me, in which I you'd want to overload opMul on classes?
Well, one VERY well known example is for vector or matrix classes that can be multiplied, but in a more complex way than just x * y. Lars Ivar Igesund
Jul 12 2004
parent reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ccthi2$ucn$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Lars Ivar Igesund says...
Matthias Becker wrote:

 Could anybody explain me, in which I you'd want to overload opMul on classes?
Well, one VERY well known example is for vector or matrix classes that can be multiplied, but in a more complex way than just x * y. Lars Ivar Igesund
Also the Int class (unlimited precision integer) in etc.bigint.bigint. Arcane Jill
Jul 12 2004
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:59:24 +0000 (UTC), Arcane Jill
 Matthias Becker wrote:

 Could anybody explain me, in which I you'd want to overload opMul on
 classes?
Well, one VERY well known example is for vector or matrix classes that can be multiplied, but in a more complex way than just x * y. Lars Ivar Igesund
Also the Int class (unlimited precision integer) in etc.bigint.bigint.
Shouldn't these all be structs, not classes, they're 'value' types, not 'reference' types aren't they? I thought that was the point "Matthias Becker" was trying to make, that you'd only want to overload opMul on structs, not classes. However as I have found structs have a few limitations that force you to use classes when you'd rather use a struct. Regan. -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Jul 12 2004
parent reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <opsa1oztn45a2sq9 digitalmars.com>, Regan Heath says...

 Could anybody explain me, in which I you'd want to overload opMul on
 classes?
Also the Int class (unlimited precision integer) in etc.bigint.bigint.
Shouldn't these all be structs, not classes, they're 'value' types, not 'reference' types aren't they?
No. It is an absolute and unchangeable requirement that my Ints ***MUST*** have destructors, for reasons of security. Therefore they cannot be structs. They are immutable reference types. Jill
Jul 13 2004
parent reply Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:27:15 +0000 (UTC), Arcane Jill
 In article <opsa1oztn45a2sq9 digitalmars.com>, Regan Heath says...

 Could anybody explain me, in which I you'd want to overload opMul on
 classes?
Also the Int class (unlimited precision integer) in etc.bigint.bigint.
Shouldn't these all be structs, not classes, they're 'value' types, not 'reference' types aren't they?
No. It is an absolute and unchangeable requirement that my Ints ***MUST*** have destructors, for reasons of security. Therefore they cannot be structs. They are immutable reference types.
The current implementation of them is sure. The concept however is a value type, just like a normal 'int'. The fact that you cannot write them as a value type, to me, suggests a deficiency in D. So back to the main point, which IMO was 'does opMul make sense for a refence type?' I think it makes sense for a value type, i.e. an int I'm not sure it makes sense for a reference type. Regan. -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Jul 13 2004
next sibling parent Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <opsa2nh3aa5a2sq9 digitalmars.com>, Regan Heath says...

The current implementation of them is sure. The concept however is a value
type, just like a normal 'int'. The fact that you cannot write them as a
value type, to me, suggests a deficiency in D.
It's a feature of D. I don't know if you could call it a deficiency. The "missing thing" (that C++ has and D doesn't) is a "thing" that has copy-by-value semantics, but also has a destructor. I'm sure Walter will be happy to explain how really HARD that is to do. You end up having to implement copy constructors, assignment operators and all sorts. D has it real easy right now - structs get bitwise-copied; classes get copied by reference. To end the "deficiency" you mentioned, D would have to get *MUCH* more compilicated. Even returning a value from a function could involve execution of a copy constructor, an assigment function, and a destructor (as it does in C++). In Walter's view that's way too much overcomplication, and so we should adjust our thinking to "the D way". I adjusted my thinking, and now Ints work just fine, thank you very much.
So back to the main point, which IMO was 'does opMul make sense for a
refence type?'

I think it makes sense for a value type, i.e. an int
I'm not sure it makes sense for a reference type.
It makes sense in the D paradigm, which is that a struct is a lightweight aggregate, and a class is what you use if you want more powerful features than that. But in partial agreement with you, I would certainly argue that opMulAssign() makes no sense where things are passed by reference. No probs with opMul() itself though. Arcane Jill
Jul 13 2004