digitalmars.D - the Challenge for D

reply A Novice Programmer <A_member pathlink.com> writes:
Goodday friends!
For real-world applicaton development, D requires multiple database,web,GUI,and
other API/libraries especially when platforms like .Net and Java offer
attractive packages today.What are D's future prospects in this regard? I ask
this question because as I dream and aspire that D can be used instead of .Net
or J2EE as soon as possible.One way would be to make D interoperable with .Net
or java, the other way requires a lot of effort in all areas of development like
support for multiple databases,GUI,web tools etc.
Can anyone (any thoughts? mr.Dan Williams) takeup this challange ?
Jul 06 2004
next sibling parent reply Norbert Nemec <Norbert.Nemec gmx.de> writes:
A Novice Programmer wrote:

 Goodday friends!
 For real-world applicaton development, D requires multiple
 database,web,GUI,and other API/libraries especially when platforms like
 .Net and Java offer attractive packages today.What are D's future
 prospects in this regard? I ask this question because as I dream and
 aspire that D can be used instead of .Net or J2EE as soon as possible.One
 way would be to make D interoperable with .Net or java, the other way
 requires a lot of effort in all areas of development like support for
 multiple databases,GUI,web tools etc. Can anyone (any thoughts? mr.Dan
 Williams) takeup this challange ?
Just depends on the number of volunteers for these jobs, I guess. Developing of a large library can easily be done by a open-source community with the same quality as the big companies do it. It just needs plenty of people to contribute, and - far more important: a good coordination concept for the work. I think you people out there should already start thinking about this: how can the development of a huge library be coordinated it a good way? Maybe, a look at the big open-source projects might be inspiring: KDE, for example works extremely well and might even be compared to our effort. KDE contains many library and interdependencies. Many of the core parts of KDE were replaced several times be improved concepts. What we need is a grand concept of versioning, modularizing of the library, etc. There should be a pool of assorted contributed libraries and a clearly versioned "supported library".
Jul 06 2004
parent reply "Tu Nam" <dreamweaver mail15.com> writes:
Please correct me if I wrong , KDE is base on Qt ? If yes so I prefer GTK+
or wxWidgets than KDE .
"Norbert Nemec" <Norbert.Nemec gmx.de> wrote in message
news:ccfa5q$1hrc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 A Novice Programmer wrote:

[...]

Jul 07 2004
next sibling parent "Bruno A. Costa" <bruno codata.com.br> writes:
Yes, KDE is based on QT, but Norbert was not talking about preferences or
wich GUI toolkit is better. He was talking about the organization of a
group in terms of development. KDE is a good example. The Apache Project is
also a good example.

Regards,

Bruno.

prev sibling parent reply Juanjo =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=C1lvarez?= <juanjuxNO SPAMyahoo.es> writes:
Tu Nam wrote:

 Please correct me if I wrong , KDE is base on Qt ? If yes so I prefer GTK+
 or wxWidgets than KDE .
Gtk+ or wxWidgets is not really comparable with Qt because Qt is not only a GUI library but also a socket, filesystem, database, etc library.
Jul 07 2004
parent Stephen Waits <steve waits.net> writes:
Juanjo Álvarez wrote:

 Gtk+ or wxWidgets is not really comparable with Qt because Qt is not only a
 GUI library but also a socket, filesystem, database, etc library.
Actually, wxWidgets does have quite a bit of that. Anyway, that's OT. --Steve
Jul 07 2004
prev sibling parent "Dan Williams" <dnews ithium.NOSPAM.net> writes:
Ooooo I got mentioned by name! (well I think it was me... I haven't seen
anyone else with my name on the newsgroup)

Not sure what it's got to do with me... I'm a D novice and I only have time
for one D-Day per week right now, however that's due to change in a matter
of weeks, because D is the language of choice for a large project I am
developing.

Perhaps that's why I got mentioned? In light of the commercial projects I
have chosen to develop using D?

Anyway... I'm really not sure what the problem is, or what's being asked
specifically. Some people have commented about the GUI side already, and I
must say that although I am aware GUI stuff is out there for D, I don't
develop GUI apps so that's not something I can answer.

As for the other points... databases - what's the problem? I've seen some
database stuff for D and this can provide a starting point for you if
nothing else. It's no big deal to interface directly with a database such as
MySQL by using sockets.

Web? What about the web? D is a language... just like C... you can use C for
the web if you want to (for instance via CGI) and so you can easily use D in
exactly the same way. The fact that there is also D-Script is a bonus,
although I don't see myself ever using it, to be honest. So I'm really not
sure what this question means.

As for the other areas - I think "interoperation" with Java and .NET would
be a waste of time. Sure, if there are people who need that and want to
develop it, that's great, but I get the feeling that the core D dev team
(Walter plus sidekicks <g>) would rather do something more useful for the
language as a whole. Certainly D needs some areas to be improved and
polished (arrays, variants, that kinda thing) before any priority should be
given to add-ons.

I don't see why D should have to have any special facility to talk to Java
etc. The way I see it, use Java, or .NET, or D. If you really want to use a
combination, then it won't be hard to create a system for data transfer
between the executables, however compiling them altogether as one thing
sounds nightmarish to me and I don't even know if that would be possible,
let alone feasible. So we can't really talk about any internal interaction
unless there's an abstract way to embed such as is done with Lua. But I
don't think so?

So I don't see the issue - there is enough substance to D already to be able
to accomplish most things. You may not want to write *everything* in D write
now - and indeed it can often best "best" in terms of time and cost to mix
solutions - but you can certainly do a lot.

Well that's just my two cents - seeing as I was mentioned personally I
figured I should respond, although I certainly won't have enough time to
"take up the challenge" myself. I already have too much OpenSource
development that I am involved in, and trying to juggle that and commercial
projects leaves me with a time deficit!

"A Novice Programmer" <A_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:ccf90e$1g54$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Goodday friends!
 For real-world applicaton development, D requires multiple
database,web,GUI,and
 other API/libraries especially when platforms like .Net and Java offer
 attractive packages today.What are D's future prospects in this regard? I
ask
 this question because as I dream and aspire that D can be used instead of
.Net
 or J2EE as soon as possible.One way would be to make D interoperable with
.Net
 or java, the other way requires a lot of effort in all areas of
development like
 support for multiple databases,GUI,web tools etc.
 Can anyone (any thoughts? mr.Dan Williams) takeup this challange ?
Jul 08 2004