digitalmars.D - volatile

reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
What is the intended purpose of the D keyword volatile?

I understand that in a D statement such as:

(which would be nonsense in C++, of course) there is merely a guarantee that all
memory writes will be flushed before and after the statement. There is NOT a
guarantee that the statement will be executed atomically. Forgive me, but ... I
don't understand the point of this. Could someone explain? What's it FOR?

On the other hand, the C++ use of volatile is horribly missing from D. In C++, a
declaration such as:

informs that compiler that agents unknown to the compiler will be reading and
writing to this variable without warning. This affects the optimization which
the compiler is allowed to perform. For instance, given the function:

The compiler may NOT optimize away either the existence of the variable nor its
initialization. Without the keyword volatile, the compiler could ditch x
entirely.

In D, it is (confusingly) possible to declare:

However, this does NOT make x volatile in the C++ sense - it merely guarantees
that all memory writes will be flushed before and after the variable x is
initialized to zero. There may be a point to this, but I don't know what it is,
and in any case the use of the keyword volatile for this strange purpose is most
definitely counterintuitive if you're used to using the word in C++.

Can anyone help me out here, or is it just a mad quirk?

Arcane Jill
Jun 26 2004
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"volatile" in C++ means a read or a write to a location cannot be "optimized
away", and the value cannot be cached in a register, but the practical uses
of that are nearly nil in modern optimizing compilers. If you need that kind
of fine control over read/write cycles, you're coding for a very specific
piece of hardware, and the inline assembler addresses that nicely.

"volatile" in Java means that reads and writes to a variable are atomic.
This can only be accomplished by wrapping the reads/writes in a synchronized
block. D has synchronized blocks, so this capability is there. (On the x86
cpu's, atomic reads/writes happen anyway for 32 bit or less sized values.
The ones that are not atomic are values bigger than 32 bits, like longs and
doubles. How often do you need an atomic write of a double?)

As optimizers have gotten better, and multi-CPU memory access along with
write caching has become commonplace, the real problem emerged - that of
guaranteeing that the *order* of reads and writes to some shared resource
(like memory) can be specified. The C++ spec specifies order only in the
presence of an assumed single threaded process, and operations can be
reordered as long as they follow the "as if" rule, i.e. the end result is
the same "as if" if were done in the same sequence as in the source. This
all falls apart under aggressive optimization. (Scott Meyers presented a
paper at SDWest giving some pretty damning evidence of this problem.)
Neither C++ nor Java volatile semantics gives any help with this.

The answer is to be able to figuratively draw a horizontal line between two
statements in the code, and say all writes before that line are completed
before the line is crossed, and all reads after that line do not happen
until after all the writes are done. This is called a write barrier, and a
read barrier. The D volatile statement is a way to specify where those
barriers go in the code. The optimizer is prevented from moving reads and
writes across that line, and to deal with memory caching problems in
multi-cpu memory, any cpu instructions to 'flush' writes will be inserted.

news:cbjgmm$27ia$1 digitaldaemon.com...

next sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Walter wrote:
 The answer is to be able to figuratively draw a horizontal line between two
 statements in the code, and say all writes before that line are completed
 before the line is crossed, and all reads after that line do not happen
 until after all the writes are done. This is called a write barrier, and a
 read barrier. The D volatile statement is a way to specify where those
 barriers go in the code. The optimizer is prevented from moving reads and
 writes across that line, and to deal with memory caching problems in
 multi-cpu memory, any cpu instructions to 'flush' writes will be inserted.
This is fantastic. So you're saying I don't have to write inline ASM to do (multi-cpu aware) atomic operations in D? This may be the best feature I've seen yet :) Sean
"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:cbkhqp$i5u$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter wrote:
[...]
You'll still have to if you want to use a LOCK prefix :-(
Jun 26 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sigbj=F8rn_Lund_Olsen?= <sigbjorn lundolsen.net> writes:
Walter wrote:
[...]

I wasn't aware of this, but I would tend to agree with Arcane Jill here, that the use of 'volatile' in D doesn't make immediate sense. While I see what you're saying, I don't think the word 'volatile' semantically indicates an 'optimization barrier', and that possibly a different keyword would better indicate this, and diffuse confusion from coming from other languages. As to specific hardware, I think you're wrong. I've seen it used in timer code for the Allegro game programming library, and frankly it was exceptionally convenient. I wouldn't want to delve into inline assembler for the purpose it had there, and would never expect a highish level programming language to require me to. Cheers, Sigbjørn Lund Olsen
"Sigbjørn Lund Olsen" <sigbjorn lundolsen.net> wrote in message
news:cbkov1$sqt$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I wasn't aware of this, but I would tend to agree with Arcane Jill here,
 that the use of 'volatile' in D doesn't make immediate sense. While I
 see what you're saying, I don't think the word 'volatile' semantically
 indicates an 'optimization barrier', and that possibly a different
 keyword would better indicate this, and diffuse confusion from coming
 from other languages.
There is no consistency anyway between languages for the meaning of usage, and as I recall, Java will be moving that direction as well. All I can say is writing multithread safe code is very demanding, and one will have to read the documentation very carefully regardless.
 As to specific hardware, I think you're wrong. I've seen it used in
 timer code for the Allegro game programming library, and frankly it was
 exceptionally convenient. I wouldn't want to delve into inline assembler
 for the purpose it had there, and would never expect a highish level
 programming language to require me to.
The C++ semantics don't even make much sense in a hardware environment with multilevel write caching. If you need to do a read cycle on a specific memory location, may I suggest: void read_cycle(void *location) { asm { mov EAX, location[ESP]; mov EAX,[EAX]; } } which does what you're asking for rather neatly, and an analogous one could be done for a write cycle. The volatile semantics in C++ ripple throughout everything, adding much complication it its wake, all to avoid having a single, simple function as above.
Jun 26 2004
prev sibling parent reply Ben Hinkle <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
 The D volatile statement is a way to specify
 where those barriers go in the code. The optimizer is prevented from
 moving reads and writes across that line, and to deal with memory caching
 problems in multi-cpu memory, any cpu instructions to 'flush' writes will
 be inserted.
Can you add that part about "volatile flushes writes" to the doc? It just mentions the code movement and doesn't say anything about caching. Also I assume volatile will force reads to be from main memory, right?
"Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> wrote in message
news:cbmn17$cvn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The D volatile statement is a way to specify
 where those barriers go in the code. The optimizer is prevented from
 moving reads and writes across that line, and to deal with memory
caching
 problems in multi-cpu memory, any cpu instructions to 'flush' writes
will
 be inserted.
Can you add that part about "volatile flushes writes" to the doc? It just mentions the code movement and doesn't say anything about caching. Also I assume volatile will force reads to be from main memory, right?
Across a memory barrier, yes.
Jun 27 2004
prev sibling parent reply Mike Swieton <mike swieton.net> writes:
 However, this does NOT make x volatile in the C++ sense - it merely guarantees
 that all memory writes will be flushed before and after the variable x is
 initialized to zero. There may be a point to this, but I don't know what it is,
 and in any case the use of the keyword volatile for this strange purpose is
most
 definitely counterintuitive if you're used to using the word in C++.

 Can anyone help me out here, or is it just a mad quirk?

 Arcane Jill
I asked this very question before ;) If I remember today I'll see about wikiing it somewhere. In C++, if I say a variable is volatile, I do it as below, because volatile is a storage class in C++. volatile int x; x += 1; // this statement executed as volatile In D, I can't do that, because volatile is a statement modifier. You'd do something like this: int x; volatile { x += 1; } This allows you to access x in a volatile fashion only some of the time, allowing you to incur that overhead only where it's needed. If you want C++'s behavior, you might try something like this, using properties: int x() { volatile return _x; } int x(int i) { volatile return _x += i; } A real-world example where this is useful: In the concurrent library, there's a part where a worker thread reads a volatile flag to determine when to exit. However, the worker does not write to it. All writes to it happen under a lock, so I have it accessed volatily (that's a word now, dammit!) only in the worker thread. Of course, if you want to do that, you need to be *damn* careful. But then again, you'd be using Java if you wanted the language to baby-sit you. Mike Swieton __ Brutes find out where their talents lie; a bear will not attempt to fly. - Jonathan Swift
news:pan.2004.06.26.16.52.38.466542 swieton.net...

 }

 This allows you to access x in a volatile fashion only some of the time,
 allowing you to incur that overhead only where it's needed. If you want
C++'s
 behavior, you might try something like this, using properties:

 int x() { volatile return _x; }
 int x(int i) { volatile return _x += i; }
C++'s volatile doesn't prevent write caching in memory in multi-CPU systems, nor does it guarantee an order of reads/writes in multithreading. D's does.
If you think you have it working right, be sure and read "C++ and the Perils of Double-Checked Locking, Part I" (Scott Meyers, Andrei Alexandrescu), July 2004 Dr. Dobb's. Here's a taste of it: http://weblogs.asp.net/brada/archive/2004/05/12/130935.aspx
 Of course, if you want to do that, you need to be *damn* careful. But then
 again, you'd be using Java if you wanted the language to baby-sit you.
Java's volatile won't help you, since it doesn't prevent reordering of operations.
Jun 26 2004