digitalmars.D - 'Build' utility must have a new name.

reply Derek <derek psyc.ward> writes:
According to some, the utility progam that I'm responsible for, currently
called 'Build' has a poor choice as a name. So may I please ask the D
community for nominations of a new name for the utility?

I quote ...
"
build is rather common and collision prone name. I'm not even talking about
googlin' it. In *nix environments you can expect other tools to use "build"
binary or Linux user to use build as an alias or something like that.

While I'm doing D-related packages for ArchLinux? - I can say that many
package maintainers (especially those with maaany packages) will change
binary name from build to something else. The problems is - it should be
one, standard name. It is very important for feature build/configure
scripts to use one hardcoded name that will not change. Imagine that debian
people will rename build to dbuild and suse to dlang-build. Building
project using build will be mess then - no simple instructions can be give
to common linux user and dummy Makefiles (that will just run build
transparently will get complicated. Things gets complicated -> D fans loose
much.

If build wants to be standard D tool on Linux it has to change binary name
and stay with it.
"

I have no investment in any specific name for the utility, so give me some
ideas. I'll attempt to sort out a consensus for a new name but if I can't
I'll just pick one anyhow.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia
next sibling parent reply Frits van Bommel <fvbommel REMwOVExCAPSs.nl> writes:
Derek wrote:
[...]

Well, how about the first one mentioned in that comment: dbuild. It has several advantages: * Rather short - easy to type in a shell. * To the point - does exactly what it says. * Minimal change from current name - still familiar to current users.
Jul 29 2006
parent Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Frits van Bommel wrote:
 Derek wrote:

[...]

I'm really bad with names, so I'd just go with dbuild. Just make sure it's not the name of a linux command or something -.-
Jul 29 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "David L. Davis" <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> writes:
Derek here's a few names that are mostly short:

bud - Build Utility for D
forgeD - (meaning: Make out of components)
dccu - D Component Creator Utility
dggu - D's Gather and Glue Utility
dub - D's Utility to Build
dfpd - D's focal-point builder

 and of course "dbuild" would work as well.

David L.

"Dare to reach for the Stars...Dare to Dream, Build, and Achieve!"

MKoD: http://spottedtiger.tripod.com/D_Language/D_Main_XP.html
Jul 29 2006
next sibling parent "John Reimer" <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 09:04:26 -0700, David L. Davis
 Derek here's a few names that are mostly short:

 bud - Build Utility for D
 forgeD - (meaning: Make out of components)
 dccu - D Component Creator Utility
 dggu - D's Gather and Glue Utility
 dub - D's Utility to Build
 dfpd - D's focal-point builder

  and of course "dbuild" would work as well.

 David L.

 "Dare to reach for the Stars...Dare to Dream, Build, and Achieve!"

 MKoD: http://spottedtiger.tripod.com/D_Language/D_Main_XP.html
Strangely, I like "bud". :)
Jul 29 2006
prev sibling parent Alexander Panek <alexander.panek brainsware.org> writes:
David L. Davis wrote:
 Derek here's a few names that are mostly short:

 bud - Build Utility for D
 forgeD - (meaning: Make out of components)
 dccu - D Component Creator Utility
 dggu - D's Gather and Glue Utility
 dub - D's Utility to Build
 dfpd - D's focal-point builder

  and of course "dbuild" would work as well.

 David L.

 "Dare to reach for the Stars...Dare to Dream, Build, and Achieve!"

 MKoD: http://spottedtiger.tripod.com/D_Language/D_Main_XP.html

One (vote for) bud please!
Aug 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Kirk McDonald <kirklin.mcdonald gmail.com> writes:
Derek wrote:
[...]

Another vote for dbuild. -- Kirk McDonald Pyd: Wrapping Python with D http://dsource.org/projects/pyd/wiki
Jul 29 2006
parent reply freeagle <freeagle inmail.sk> writes:
Kirk McDonald wrote:
 Derek wrote:
[...]

yup
Jul 29 2006
parent reply Carlos Santander <csantander619 gmail.com> writes:
freeagle escribió:
 Another vote for dbuild.
yup
Same here. -- Carlos Santander Bernal
Jul 29 2006
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Carlos Santander" <csantander619 gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eagiin$1lad$2 digitaldaemon.com...

 freeagle escribió:
 Another vote for dbuild.
yup
Same here.
And again.
Jul 29 2006
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "Carlos Santander" <csantander619 gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:eagiin$1lad$2 digitaldaemon.com...

 freeagle escribió:
 Another vote for dbuild.
yup
Same here.
And again.
I like dbuild too. Some googling on dbuild gives: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/13909.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ctrl_dbuild "dbuild" seems to be some sort of Debian utility: http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/1999/02/msg00003.html http://www.openlaszlo.org/pipermail/laszlo-builds/2006-June/000136.html
Jul 29 2006

no, a search for the dbuild package don't give anything. http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?suite=all&subword=1&exact=&arch=any&section=all&case=insensitive&keywords=debuild&searchon=names but there is a debuild package.
Jul 29 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "David L. Davis" <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> writes:
Here's a few more suggestions:

dmdbuild - Digital Mars D Build(er)
dsbuild - D Source Build(er)

dmerge - Merge D sources togather
dprism - gathers all D sources into one focal-point executable
deploy - build D sources for deployment
dpkg   - Package together D sources

next sibling parent Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
David L. Davis wrote:
 Here's a few more suggestions:

 dmdbuild - Digital Mars D Build(er)
 dsbuild - D Source Build(er)

 dmerge - Merge D sources togather
 dprism - gathers all D sources into one focal-point executable
 deploy - build D sources for deployment
 dpkg   - Package together D sources
buildy [ pronounced Buil-Dee ] :D
Jul 29 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Frits van Bommel <fvbommel REMwOVExCAPSs.nl> writes:
David L. Davis wrote:
 dpkg   - Package together D sources
Heh... I don't think many Debian users will like that one (Google it unless that was a joke)
Jul 29 2006
next sibling parent Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Frits van Bommel wrote:
 David L. Davis wrote:

 dpkg   - Package together D sources
Heh... I don't think many Debian users will like that one (Google it unless that was a joke)
lol, who would think that name was taken? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dpkg dpkg is the base of the Debian package management system
Jul 29 2006
prev sibling parent "David L. Davis" <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> writes:
"Frits van Bommel" <fvbommel REMwOVExCAPSs.nl> wrote in message
news:eagv3q$2l7i$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 David L. Davis wrote:
 dpkg   - Package together D sources
Heh... I don't think many Debian users will like that one (Google it unless that was a joke)
Opps! I was just brain-storming a few names (as Derek had ask us to do)...I didn't really check Google on it. Thanks, for pointing it out. David L. ------------------------------------------------------------------- "Dare to reach for the Stars...Dare to Dream, Build, and Achieve!" ------------------------------------------------------------------- MKoD: http://spottedtiger.tripod.com/D_Language/D_Main_XP.html
Jul 29 2006
prev sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
David L. Davis wrote:
 Here's a few more suggestions:

 dmdbuild - Digital Mars D Build(er)
Jul 30 2006
parent reply "David L. Davis" <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> writes:
"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eaiqns$1760$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 David L. Davis wrote:
 Here's a few more suggestions:

 dmdbuild - Digital Mars D Build(er)
Stewart, roger that...I agree with your point! That's why everyone, myself included are mainly looking at "dbuild" as the new name. dmdbuild - this suggestion is now changed to "dobuild", for D Object Build(er) - the name is a bit catchier! :) Also, forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this area (because I've only used WinXP and DMD), but what is the executable name of D with the GDC compiler, is it named something like gdc.exe? Thanks in advance for your reply, David L. ------------------------------------------------------------------- "Dare to reach for the Stars...Dare to Dream, Build, and Achieve!" ------------------------------------------------------------------- MKoD: http://spottedtiger.tripod.com/D_Language/D_Main_XP.html
Jul 30 2006
parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
David L. Davis wrote:
<snip>
 Also, forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this area (because I've only
 used WinXP and DMD), but what is the executable name of D with the GDC
 compiler, is it named something like gdc.exe?
Aug 01 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Kent Boogaart" <kentcb internode.on.net> writes:
duild-o?

I like dbuild.

KB

news:jq6ezl23l08e.1qvo0qdaexhy0.dlg 40tude.net...

prev sibling next sibling parent reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Derek wrote:
[...]

Here are some... Thesaurus.com + lame 'd' naming scheme, remove D for a unique name... * d-construct * d-raise * d-rear * d-synth * d-velop (DeeVelop aka develop) * d-wax * d-amass * d-chunk * d-horde * d-heap * d-annex * d-beef * d-sweet Microsoft Naming Scheme... * Xbuild * Xdevelop * xena * xbuild3.14 (hey, it worked for xbox360, substitute any number that is 'cool' and 'hip') * xotus (exodus) Unique names... * snowball * avalanche * gather * bigbang * ehorizon (event horizon) That's all I can think of for now. ~ Clay
Jul 29 2006
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"clayasaurus" <clayasaurus gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eah7hs$2t71$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Here are some...
 * d-beef
Yes. That is IT.
Jul 29 2006
parent Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "clayasaurus" <clayasaurus gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:eah7hs$2t71$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Here are some...
 * d-beef
Yes. That is IT.
Where's d-beef?
Jul 29 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Dawid =?UTF-8?B?Q2nEmcW8YXJraWV3aWN6?= <dawid.ciezarkiewicz gmail.com> writes:
Derek wrote:

 According to some, the utility progam that I'm responsible for, currently
 called 'Build' has a poor choice as a name. So may I please ask the D
 community for nominations of a new name for the utility?
dbuild is perfectly fine
Jul 30 2006
prev sibling parent Derek <derek psyc.ward> writes:
 I have no investment in any specific name for the utility, so give me some
 ideas. I'll attempt to sort out a consensus for a new name but if I can't
 I'll just pick one anyhow.
I've started a Wiki page on the utility's project site to collect ideas and 'votes'. http://www.dsource.org/projects/build/wiki/Build_Remaining -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia "Down with mediocrity!"
Jul 30 2006