digitalmars.D - DbC & Interfaces

reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sigbj=F8rn_Lund_Olsen?= <sigbjorn lundolsen.net> writes:
This is one of my pet peeves with D. As far as I can logically reason,
interfaces are not powerful enough as long as it is impossible to define
contracts in the interfaces. The entire concept of an interface is to
constrain implementors to something 'externally defined' - the logical
extension to 'vanilla' interfaces in a language supporting and
advocating the use of Design-by-Contract, is to support contracts in
interfaces.

Using the newest DMD, I can compile interfaces with contracts without
complaint, but the contracts are actually ignored. Here's the example
source:

// begin interface_contracts.d

interface Foo
{
	int aFunction(ubyte firstArg, int secondArg)
	in
	{
		assert(firstArg <= 100);
	}
	out (result)
	{
		assert(result <= secondArg);
	};

}

class Bar : Foo
{
	int aFunction(ubyte firstArg, int secondArg)
	/* uncomment to implement contracts in class
	in
	{
		assert(firstArg <= 100);
	}
	out (result)
	{
		assert(result <= secondArg);
	}
	*/
	body
	{
		double temp = cast(double) firstArg / 100;
		int result = cast(int) ((cast(double) secondArg) * temp);
		return result;

int main(char[][] args)
{
	Bar aClass = new Bar;

	printf("%i\n", aClass.aFunction(10, 123456));
	printf("%i\n", aClass.aFunction(50, 123456));
	printf("%i\n", aClass.aFunction(200, 123456));

	return 0;
}

// end interface_contracts.d

In the version with the contract in Bar's aFunction commented out, this
is the output:

interface_contracts
12345 61728 246912 As you can see, the assertion that firstArg should be less or equal to a hundred, and that the result should be smaller or equal to secondArg, is completely ignored. In the version where the contract is defined in Bar, the contract works, giving us this as the output:
interface_contracts
12345 61728 Error: AssertError Failure interface_contracts.d(19) Cheers, Sigbjørn Lund Olsen
Jun 13 2004
next sibling parent "The Dr ... who?" <thedr who.com> writes:
Count me in as one who wants to hear from big-W on this. I think you may have a
good case.

news:cahsmr$8l0$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling next sibling parent Sam McCall <tunah.d tunah.net> writes:
Sigbjørn Lund Olsen wrote:

 This is one of my pet peeves with D. As far as I can logically reason,
 interfaces are not powerful enough as long as it is impossible to define
 contracts in the interfaces. The entire concept of an interface is to
 constrain implementors to something 'externally defined' - the logical
 extension to 'vanilla' interfaces in a language supporting and
 advocating the use of Design-by-Contract, is to support contracts in
 interfaces.
Yes, that makes perfect sense. I remember reading some of the phobos code that had comments to the effect that contracts should be/were going to be inherited through the class hierarchy, not sure if that ever happened. Sam
Jun 13 2004
prev sibling parent reply Mike Swieton <mike swieton.net> writes:
 This is one of my pet peeves with D. As far as I can logically reason,
 interfaces are not powerful enough as long as it is impossible to define
 contracts in the interfaces. The entire concept of an interface is to
This has come up before, and I'll second it again: DbC is *broken* if a contract cannot be specified on an interface - For what is an interface, if not a contract? Mike Swieton __ God made the world and He saw that it was good. Not fair. Not happy. Nor perfect. Good. - Mary Doria Russel, "Children of God"
Jun 13 2004
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sigbj=F8rn_Lund_Olsen?= <sigbjorn lundolsen.net> writes:
Mike Swieton wrote:
This is one of my pet peeves with D. As far as I can logically reason,
interfaces are not powerful enough as long as it is impossible to define
contracts in the interfaces. The entire concept of an interface is to
This has come up before, and I'll second it again: DbC is *broken* if a contract cannot be specified on an interface - For what is an interface, if not a contract?
It'll come up again too, if it isn't implemented. Once every month or two. It is, after all, my opinion that Carthage should be burnt. Cheers, Sigbjørn Lund Olsen
Jun 14 2004