digitalmars.D - D Mascot

reply Kyle Furlong <kylefurlong gmail.com> writes:
Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute animal or
other recognizable mascot would suit better.
Mar 19 2006
next sibling parent reply Tom <ihate spam.com> writes:
Kyle Furlong escribió:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
D man is nice, but if it doesn't hurt Walter's feelings and if he agree of course, we could suggest another more sophisticated. This could be done for the 1.0 release. :D Tom; P.S.: A contest could be organized for the purpose (mental note: what stupid do I feel talking about this) :P
Mar 19 2006
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Tom" <ihate spam.com> wrote in message
news:dvl2pd$102v$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Kyle Furlong escribió:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
D man is nice, but if it doesn't hurt Walter's feelings and if he agree of course, we could suggest another more sophisticated. This could be done for the 1.0 release. :D Tom; P.S.: A contest could be organized for the purpose (mental note: what stupid do I feel talking about this) :P
Hey! What's wrong with D-man? <g>
Mar 19 2006
 Kyle Furlong escribió:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
D man is nice, but if it doesn't hurt Walter's feelings and if he agree of course, we could suggest another more sophisticated. This could be done for the 1.0 release. :D Tom; P.S.: A contest could be organized for the purpose (mental note: what stupid do I feel talking about this) :P
Hey! What's wrong with D-man? <g>
Hes great as far as he goes. The thing here is marketability. If you don't care about that then the name D, and associated d-man mascot are fine. But if one wants to build a grassroots word of mouth campaign, a more recognizable name and/or mascot would help.
Mar 19 2006
parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:

 Kyle Furlong escribió:

 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
D man is nice, but if it doesn't hurt Walter's feelings and if he agree of course, we could suggest another more sophisticated. This could be done for the 1.0 release. :D Tom; P.S.: A contest could be organized for the purpose (mental note: what stupid do I feel talking about this) :P
Hey! What's wrong with D-man? <g>
Hes great as far as he goes. The thing here is marketability. If you don't care about that then the name D, and associated d-man mascot are fine. But if one wants to build a grassroots word of mouth campaign, a more recognizable name and/or mascot would help.
I think the name is fine. The mascot is ... let's just say I think we need a new one.
Mar 19 2006
parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:

 Kyle Furlong escribió:

 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some
 cute animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
D man is nice, but if it doesn't hurt Walter's feelings and if he agree of course, we could suggest another more sophisticated. This could be done for the 1.0 release. :D Tom; P.S.: A contest could be organized for the purpose (mental note: what stupid do I feel talking about this) :P
Hey! What's wrong with D-man? <g>
Hes great as far as he goes. The thing here is marketability. If you don't care about that then the name D, and associated d-man mascot are fine. But if one wants to build a grassroots word of mouth campaign, a more recognizable name and/or mascot would help.
I think the name is fine. The mascot is ... let's just say I think we need a new one.
I like D man.
Mar 21 2006
 Kyle Furlong escribió:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
D man is nice, but if it doesn't hurt Walter's feelings and if he agree of course, we could suggest another more sophisticated. This could be done for the 1.0 release. :D Tom; P.S.: A contest could be organized for the purpose (mental note: what stupid do I feel talking about this) :P
Hey! What's wrong with D-man? <g>
I like D-man. Maybe he could be upgraded a bit, though. :) -JJR
Mar 19 2006
parent James Dunne <james.jdunne gmail.com> writes:

 Kyle Furlong escribió:

 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
D man is nice, but if it doesn't hurt Walter's feelings and if he agree of course, we could suggest another more sophisticated. This could be done for the 1.0 release. :D Tom; P.S.: A contest could be organized for the purpose (mental note: what stupid do I feel talking about this) :P
Hey! What's wrong with D-man? <g>
I like D-man. Maybe he could be upgraded a bit, though. :) -JJR
Mar 20 2006
In article <dvlga7$1j96$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
 Kyle Furlong escribió:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
D man is nice, but if it doesn't hurt Walter's feelings and if he agree of course, we could suggest another more sophisticated. This could be done for the 1.0 release. :D Tom; P.S.: A contest could be organized for the purpose (mental note: what stupid do I feel talking about this) :P
Hey! What's wrong with D-man? <g>
No no, really D-man is nice and funny, in fact I become fond of D-man with time (??? :D). It's just a marketing thing, he'd stay in our hearts forever <g>. Tom;
Mar 20 2006
 Kyle Furlong escribió:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
D man is nice, but if it doesn't hurt Walter's feelings and if he agree of course, we could suggest another more sophisticated. This could be done for the 1.0 release. :D Tom; P.S.: A contest could be organized for the purpose (mental note: what stupid do I feel talking about this) :P
Hey! What's wrong with D-man? <g>
No no, really D-man is nice and funny, in fact I become fond of D-man with time (??? :D). It's just a marketing thing, he'd stay in our hearts forever <g>. Tom;
yea, I like it. Sure it's not high quality, but perhaps it suggests that we focus our talents elsewhere :) I think someone did improve its quality before but I have no idea where it is, I probably have it archived somewhere.
Mar 20 2006
parent reply =?UTF-8?B?QW5kZXJzIEYgQmrDtnJrbHVuZA==?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Chris Miller wrote:

 I think someone did improve its quality before but I have no idea where
 it  is, I probably have it archived somewhere.
Did you mean just the existing image, or drew an improved new D-man ? The antialiased one is here: http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net/dlogo.png --anders
Mar 20 2006
next sibling parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:dvmiet$22q$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Chris Miller wrote:

 I think someone did improve its quality before but I have no idea where
 it  is, I probably have it archived somewhere.
Did you mean just the existing image, or drew an improved new D-man ? The antialiased one is here: http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net/dlogo.png
I originally approached three professional cartoonists to do a D-man. One couldn't be bothered with it. Another "didn't do that kind of work." The third wanted royalties and to retain copyright, as if D-man was the next Steamboat Willie. Criminy. I just sketched him out on some scratch paper and scanned him in!
Mar 20 2006
prev sibling parent "Chris Miller" <chris dprogramming.com> writes:
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:41:19 -0500, Anders F Björklund <afb algonet.se>
 I think someone did improve its quality before but I have no idea where
 it  is, I probably have it archived somewhere.
Did you mean just the existing image, or drew an improved new D-man ? The antialiased one is here: http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net/dlogo.png
That's probably it, looks pretty good.
Mar 20 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Tom" <Tom_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dvmbke$2qb2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 (??? :D)
That's it! :D There it is. It's a logo and a mascot all in one!
Mar 20 2006
next sibling parent Alexander Panek <alexander.panek brainsware.org> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "Tom" <Tom_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:dvmbke$2qb2$1 digitaldaemon.com...

(??? :D)
That's it! :D There it is. It's a logo and a mascot all in one!
[x] :D [ ] <anything else> :D ... well..err..I guess you know what I mean. Regards, Alex
Mar 20 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Tom <ihate spam.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley escribió:
 "Tom" <Tom_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:dvmbke$2qb2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 (??? :D)
That's it! :D There it is. It's a logo and a mascot all in one!
It's a nice idea. Tom;
Mar 20 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Lionello Lunesu" <lio remove.lunesu.com> writes:
I like :D too, and it fits with the fact that many post on this group
contain "<g>", so we should use :D instead of <g> from now on; a possible
slogan could be

": D, it just makes you grin"

"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:dvn8mo$10ke$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Tom" <Tom_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:dvmbke$2qb2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 (??? :D)
That's it! :D There it is. It's a logo and a mascot all in one!
Mar 23 2006
parent Kyle Furlong <kylefurlong gmail.com> writes:
Lionello Lunesu wrote:
 I like :D too, and it fits with the fact that many post on this group
 contain "<g>", so we should use :D instead of <g> from now on; a possible
 slogan could be

 ": D, it just makes you grin"

 "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message
 news:dvn8mo$10ke$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Tom" <Tom_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:dvmbke$2qb2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 (??? :D)
That's it! :D There it is. It's a logo and a mascot all in one!
I agree, thats why I've started writing :D instead of D. I think we all should! :D
Mar 23 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Lucas Goss <lgoss007 gmail.com> writes:
Kyle Furlong wrote:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
Yeah... D-man kind of reminds me of clippy (which isn't a good thing) :)
Mar 20 2006
prev sibling parent reply Wang Zhen <nehzgnaw gmail.com> writes:
Kyle Furlong wrote:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
I once made a D-dog for D last year (http://shfls.org/w/d/ddog.png). Walter replied with exactly the same question -- "What's wrong with D-man?" Come to think about it, why do we need a mascot for a programming language in the first place? When did the lack of a mascot hinder the growth of C or C++?
Mar 21 2006
next sibling parent pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dvpbnj$nvj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Wang Zhen says...
Kyle Furlong wrote:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
I once made a D-dog for D last year (http://shfls.org/w/d/ddog.png). Walter replied with exactly the same question -- "What's wrong with D-man?" Come to think about it, why do we need a mascot for a programming language in the first place? When did the lack of a mascot hinder the growth of C or C++?
Agreed. If anything, I think D could use a logo other than "D-man" to help its marketability - kind of like Sun did with Java. But I don't think its essential to the appeal of the language. - EricAnderton at yahoo
Mar 21 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Wang Zhen" <nehzgnaw gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dvpbnj$nvj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Come to think about it, why do we need a mascot for a programming language
 in the first place?
Just for fun, so the spec pages aren't totally dry.
 When did the lack of a mascot hinder the growth of C or C++?
Mar 21 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:
I think we should have a D-Dolphin ;-)

 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
I once made a D-dog for D last year (http://shfls.org/w/d/ddog.png). Walter replied with exactly the same question -- "What's wrong with D-man?" Come to think about it, why do we need a mascot for a programming language in the first place? When did the lack of a mascot hinder the growth of C or C++?
Mar 21 2006
next sibling parent pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <pan.2006.03.21.21.54.02.713550 sneakemail.com>,
=?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= says...
I think we should have a D-Dolphin ;-)
Too late. MySQL beat us to that: http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/news/article_77.html - EricAnderton at yahoo
Mar 21 2006
prev sibling parent reply kris <foo bar.com> writes:
Knud Sørensen wrote:
 I think we should have a D-Dolphin ;-)

Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
I once made a D-dog for D last year (http://shfls.org/w/d/ddog.png). Walter replied with exactly the same question -- "What's wrong with D-man?" Come to think about it, why do we need a mascot for a programming language in the first place? When did the lack of a mascot hinder the growth of C or C++?
I don't know if others share this observation, but does it seem like the whole "mascot" thing is particularly American? Seems quite prevalent in sports and so on. You'd rarely see such a thing in Europe, for example. And perhaps it's just me who finds it vaguely amusing to imagine some sort of giant wobbly Chicken|Goofy|BigBird thing prancing about on behalf of Australian or Kiwi Rugby teams? There's definately a "team" element associated with mascots, which I suppose is reflected in the corporate arena by a marketing logo? Seems like it all comes down to branding? If so, then the D-dude is perhaps a bit "back of the napkin" type of thing, from a branding perspective? I hate to say it, but D-dude doesn't add anything at all in terms of "professionalism" ~ to D as a product. Perhaps the contrary, actually. For me, D-dude has always had a waft of, umm, shallow hubris? But then I just ignore brandings anyway. I guess it comes down to which audience the /Branding/ for D is intended to help seduce
Mar 21 2006
next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
kris wrote:

 I hate to say it, but D-dude doesn't add anything at all in terms of
 "professionalism" ~ to D as a product. Perhaps the contrary, actually.
 For me, D-dude has always had a waft of, umm, shallow hubris? But then I
 just ignore brandings anyway.
I always liked the parts where he's "in action" Like http://www.digitalmars.com/gift/index.html D-Man has the "I'm too busy coding to look good" Wonder if the cutesy dog can do any hacking ? :-) --anders
Mar 21 2006
next sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:dvq1j3$1isd$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I always liked the parts where he's "in action"
 Like http://www.digitalmars.com/gift/index.html
The "some assembly required" cartoon was my favorite.
 D-Man has the "I'm too busy coding to look good"
 Wonder if the cutesy dog can do any hacking ? :-)
Cutesy dog?
Mar 21 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
D-Man has the "I'm too busy coding to look good"
Wonder if the cutesy dog can do any hacking ? :-)
Cutesy dog?
That would be the D-dog from Wang Zhen ? --anders
Mar 21 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent kris <foo bar.com> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 kris wrote:

 I hate to say it, but D-dude doesn't add anything at all in terms of
 "professionalism" ~ to D as a product. Perhaps the contrary, actually.
 For me, D-dude has always had a waft of, umm, shallow hubris? But then
 I just ignore brandings anyway.
I always liked the parts where he's "in action" Like http://www.digitalmars.com/gift/index.html
Hadn't seen the Coffee-Mug D-Dude in action ~ branding and merchandising in one easy step :-)
 D-Man has the "I'm too busy coding to look good"
 Wonder if the cutesy dog can do any hacking ? :-)
Aye. Wonder if BigBird can pop his/her stack?
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 kris wrote:

 I hate to say it, but D-dude doesn't add anything at all in terms of
 "professionalism" ~ to D as a product. Perhaps the contrary, actually.
 For me, D-dude has always had a waft of, umm, shallow hubris? But then
 I just ignore brandings anyway.
I always liked the parts where he's "in action" Like http://www.digitalmars.com/gift/index.html D-Man has the "I'm too busy coding to look good" Wonder if the cutesy dog can do any hacking ? :-)
Hey! Maybe D should stands for something instead of, uhhh, nothing? Now, whoever heard of a language called "Dude"? Woah ... that's way awesome! Like, totally bodacious, dude! Seriously though, that does have rather a nice ring to it. And, from a marketing perspective, there's nothing quite like standing out from the crowd. Then, the D-dude would totally Rool! In conversation, I'm gonna' start calling it "Dude" ~ just to see what external reactions are like <g>
Mar 21 2006
next sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
kris wrote:

 In conversation, I'm gonna' start calling it "Dude" ~ just to see what
 external reactions are like <g>
Kris, you trend-setter, you. -JJR
Mar 21 2006
prev sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
kris wrote:
 Hey! Maybe D should stands for something instead of, uhhh, nothing?

 Now, whoever heard of a language called "Dude"?  Woah ... that's way
 awesome! Like, totally bodacious, dude!

 Seriously though, that does have rather a nice ring to it. And, from a
 marketing perspective, there's nothing quite like standing out from the
 crowd. Then, the D-dude would totally Rool!

 In conversation, I'm gonna' start calling it "Dude" ~ just to see what
 external reactions are like <g>
I can see it all clear now: "Dude, you got a language!" As in: http://tinyurl.com/o75bl Nooooooo, --anders
Mar 21 2006
parent reply David Medlock <noone nowhere.com> writes:
What language you using man?
Dude!
Sweet!
What language you using man?

lol.

-DavidM
Mar 22 2006
next sibling parent Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
David Medlock wrote:

 What language you using man?
 Dude!
 Sweet!
 What language you using man?

 lol.

 -DavidM
LOL ! :D Tomasz Stachowiak /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
Mar 22 2006
prev sibling parent kris <foo bar.com> writes:
David Medlock wrote:

 What language you using man?
 Dude!
 Sweet!
 What language you using man?

 lol.

 -DavidM
Rofl :-D
Mar 22 2006
prev sibling parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <44207264.2020209 bar.com>, kris says...
I don't know if others share this observation, but does it seem like the
whole "mascot" thing is particularly American? Seems quite prevalent in
sports and so on. You'd rarely see such a thing in Europe, for example.
Now that I think about it, you're right. I think it's a product of being in such a hyper-capitalist society/culture; *everything* is a commodity.
And perhaps it's just me who finds it vaguely amusing to imagine some
sort of giant wobbly Chicken|Goofy|BigBird thing prancing about on
behalf of Australian or Kiwi Rugby teams?
And now I can't get the image of giant foam-rubber prawns and wallabys out of my head. That would be utterly surreal. Lets get some solid examples of what's wrong here. From my neck of the woods: Hockey - Capitals: Slapshot the Eagle Football - DC United: Talon the Eagle Baseball - Nationals: Screech the Eagle Basketball - Wizards: G-Wiz (don't ask) US Football - Redskins: None Yes, these are all as lame as they sound - I think that's kind of the point with mascots, its more for the kids anyway. Google for pictures if you must. :) And I conclude by saying that the Redskins are the only ones around here that have managed any kind of tasteful PR image, which has likely come about for a combination of (sadly) PC reasons and being corraled by a very image conscious league. So they're very much the exception here.
There's definately a "team" element associated with mascots, which I
suppose is reflected in the corporate arena by a marketing logo? Seems
like it all comes down to branding? If so, then the D-dude is perhaps a
bit "back of the napkin" type of thing, from a branding perspective? I
hate to say it, but D-dude doesn't add anything at all in terms of
"professionalism" ~ to D as a product. Perhaps the contrary, actually.
For me, D-dude has always had a waft of, umm, shallow hubris? But then I
just ignore brandings anyway.

I guess it comes down to which audience the /Branding/ for D is intended
to help seduce
Well, judging by the frappr D group map, leaning towoards a more global appeal (read: less US centric) would be a better move. You mentioned Rugby - maybe D should adopt a more football* or rugby club-banner type of branding instead? "Learn D - Its like C only with fewer scrums." "Use D - unlike C++ and FIFA approved equipment, it won't hurt your head." (*Ya know, the kind you play with your feet?) - EricAnderton at yahoo
Mar 21 2006
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"pragma" <pragma_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dvq6bi$1qsl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Well, judging by the frappr D group map, leaning towoards a more global
 appeal
 (read: less US centric) would be a better move.  You mentioned Rugby -
 maybe D
 should adopt a more football* or rugby club-banner type of branding
 instead?

 "Learn D - Its like C only with fewer scrums."
 "Use D - unlike C++ and FIFA approved equipment, it won't hurt your head."
That'd just put off American programmers, then. What is a scrum? And then even Walter wouldn't know what his advertising slogan meant ;) How about a non-sports-related slogan / logo?
Mar 21 2006
parent pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dvq8qk$1tgq$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jarrett Billingsley says...
"pragma" <pragma_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dvq6bi$1qsl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Well, judging by the frappr D group map, leaning towoards a more global
 appeal
 (read: less US centric) would be a better move.  You mentioned Rugby -
 maybe D
 should adopt a more football* or rugby club-banner type of branding
 instead?

 "Learn D - Its like C only with fewer scrums."
 "Use D - unlike C++ and FIFA approved equipment, it won't hurt your head."
That'd just put off American programmers, then. What is a scrum?
Eh, they're just tounge-in-cheek ideas just like the rest of the slogans I've posted around here. The way I see it: if something funny sticks, all the better. ;) Now "Scrum", in this particular case, is a pun: - In rugby football, a scrum is a way to restart the game after an interruption, e.g., after a minor foul. - In management, scrum denotes a light-weight management process targeted at software development.
And then even Walter wouldn't know what his advertising slogan meant ;)

How about a non-sports-related slogan / logo?
Hey, sure! Any ideas? - EricAnderton at yahoo
Mar 21 2006
Kyle Furlong wrote:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/animals/data/content_d.html a Duck ? too stupid. a Diplodocus ? too heavy. a Dingo ? too australian. a Dobermann ? too agressive. a Donkey ? already used. a Dolphin ? already used. pff..
Mar 24 2006
 Kyle Furlong wrote:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/animals/data/content_d.html a Duck ? too stupid. a Diplodocus ? too heavy. a Dingo ? too australian. a Dobermann ? too agressive. a Donkey ? already used. a Dolphin ? already used. pff..
How about a Dragon? Power, at least, comes across... might be "too aggressive", though. And the fantasy realm might not sit well with some people...
Mar 24 2006
parent Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
 Kyle Furlong wrote:
 Does anyone else think that D-man needs to retire? I think some cute
 animal or other recognizable mascot would suit better.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/animals/data/content_d.html a Duck ? too stupid. a Diplodocus ? too heavy. a Dingo ? too australian. a Dobermann ? too agressive. a Donkey ? already used. a Dolphin ? already used. pff..
How about a Dragon? Power, at least, comes across... might be "too aggressive", though. And the fantasy realm might not sit well with some people...
That's kind-of a natural in the CS community for a language developed by a compiler developer too ('The Dragon Book') ;)
Mar 24 2006
prev sibling parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
Mar 24 2006
parent reply "lanael" <no mail.never> writes:
(...)
 a Dolmen ?
Hmm... I don't know why, but I like it :) (...)
 Does da dishy D dascot dealy dave do degin dith D!?
err... no. Anyway, I'm writing a game with a D as the controlable character.( Currently, it's a red D sprite ). I was thinking to call him Dee ( or Dude ). If another mascot is chosen, I'll have to change the name and the sprite of this game. So I'm pretty interested in a change of the D mascot (if any) !
Mar 24 2006
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"lanael" <no mail.never> wrote in message
news:mn.c4837d63f136c6bb.35838 mail.never...
 Anyway, I'm writing a game with a D as the controlable character.(
 Currently, it's a red D sprite ). I was thinking to call him Dee ( or
 Dude ).
 If another mascot is chosen, I'll have to change the name and the sprite
 of this game. So I'm pretty interested in a change of the D mascot (if
 any) !
Maybe we should just rename D-man to "Dude".
Mar 24 2006
parent "lanael" <no mail.never> writes:
 Maybe we should just rename D-man to "Dude".
Yep, Dude is fine for me. And it looks like I'm not the only one. Though I'm no 3D artist, I've just had fun making a 3D Dude, so if you have a vrml plugin, here it is : http://lanael.free.fr/dude.wrl (enjoy, even if this is a quick and dirty 3D model by an average programmer ! :) )
Mar 24 2006