digitalmars.D - [OT] World Map of D Programmers

reply Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
http://www.frappr.com/d

Sign up and let us know where you are...

BA
Mar 07 2006
next sibling parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:
 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...

 BA
doesn't let me add myself! says calgary is an invalid city :/
Mar 07 2006
next sibling parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
"Hasan Aljudy" <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> wrote in message
news:duku71$2n3h$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Brad Anderson wrote:
 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...

 BA
doesn't let me add myself! says calgary is an invalid city :/
And it is. Vancouver is a right one. :-P Andrew.
Mar 07 2006
 Brad Anderson wrote:
 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...

 BA
doesn't let me add myself! says calgary is an invalid city :/
And it is. Vancouver is a right one. :-P
Stupid site. JavaScript must be enabled, should be joined, etc, etc... It needed 20 minutes to add my real location (Budapest, Hungary) to my name :-P Nice idea and M$ programmers B-))) Good luck! Tamas Nagy (MicroWizard)
Mar 07 2006
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Brad Anderson wrote:
 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...

 BA
doesn't let me add myself! says calgary is an invalid city :/
I saw that, but it says you need to allow auto-completion or something. If you do that, you will see it offer something like: Calgary, Alberta (Canada) It knows all the cities. No worries about that. :P -JJR
Mar 07 2006
next sibling parent reply Alex Stevenson <ans104 cs.york.ac.uk> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 Hasan Aljudy wrote:

 Brad Anderson wrote:

 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...

 BA
doesn't let me add myself! says calgary is an invalid city :/
I saw that, but it says you need to allow auto-completion or something. If you do that, you will see it offer something like: Calgary, Alberta (Canada) It knows all the cities. No worries about that. :P -JJR
It's a good job I don't live in the countryside any more, they don't have anywhere that near my old home ("A Tiny Village You've Probably Never Heard Of", Cornwall, England), though my current home in `Old' York is certainly there. I also seem to be the only Englishman so far... Oh well.
Mar 07 2006
parent reply "John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> writes:
"Alex Stevenson" <ans104 cs.york.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:dulc14$7l0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 John Reimer wrote:
 Hasan Aljudy wrote:

 Brad Anderson wrote:

 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...

 BA
doesn't let me add myself! says calgary is an invalid city :/
I saw that, but it says you need to allow auto-completion or something. If you do that, you will see it offer something like: Calgary, Alberta (Canada) It knows all the cities. No worries about that. :P -JJR
It's a good job I don't live in the countryside any more, they don't have anywhere that near my old home ("A Tiny Village You've Probably Never Heard Of", Cornwall, England), though my current home in `Old' York is certainly there. I also seem to be the only Englishman so far... Oh well.
Like John (Reimer), I'm a little wary of frappr ... otherwise there'd be two of us (and I was in Newquay just last month). John.
Mar 07 2006

John Reimer wrote:

Hasan Aljudy wrote:

Brad Anderson wrote:

http://www.frappr.com/d

Sign up and let us know where you are...

BA
doesn't let me add myself! says calgary is an invalid city :/
I saw that, but it says you need to allow auto-completion or something. If you do that, you will see it offer something like: Calgary, Alberta (Canada) It knows all the cities. No worries about that. :P -JJR
It's a good job I don't live in the countryside any more, they don't have anywhere that near my old home ("A Tiny Village You've Probably Never Heard Of", Cornwall, England), though my current home in `Old' York is certainly there. I also seem to be the only Englishman so far... Oh well.
Like John (Reimer), I'm a little wary of frappr ... otherwise there'd be two of us (and I was in Newquay just last month). John.
I'm usually wary of sites like that, but my name isn't uncommon enough to be very meaningful and I used one of my `junk' email accounts - so I'm not sure that there's any information on me I care about in their systems.
Mar 07 2006
parent Tom <Tom_member pathlink.com> writes:

John Reimer wrote:

Hasan Aljudy wrote:

Brad Anderson wrote:

[...]

The same applies for me. I use to hate that kind of things, but I didn't type so much info about me and my email is the junk one. They can do whatever they want with that. Tom;
Mar 07 2006
prev sibling parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 Hasan Aljudy wrote:

 Brad Anderson wrote:

 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...

 BA
doesn't let me add myself! says calgary is an invalid city :/
I saw that, but it says you need to allow auto-completion or something. If you do that, you will see it offer something like: Calgary, Alberta (Canada) It knows all the cities. No worries about that. :P -JJR
Thanks for the tip. In IE7, it tells me to enter my zip code!! even though I told I'm not in the US!!!
Mar 07 2006
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 John Reimer wrote:
 Hasan Aljudy wrote:

 Brad Anderson wrote:

 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...

 BA
doesn't let me add myself! says calgary is an invalid city :/
I saw that, but it says you need to allow auto-completion or something. If you do that, you will see it offer something like: Calgary, Alberta (Canada) It knows all the cities. No worries about that. :P -JJR
Thanks for the tip. In IE7, it tells me to enter my zip code!! even though I told I'm not in the US!!!
Yeah... when I first tried it, it identified my town exactly with latitude/longitude; you could even see the streets... which made me a little nervous about having my town pointed to like that on a map :). I got cold feet and unregistered again shortly later after a quick investigation of the main frappr groups list (just one click away)... a couple entries almost made me sick. It doesn't appear that frappr has any moderation or regulation of the system and that annoys me. -JJR
Mar 07 2006
parent reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 John Reimer wrote:
 Hasan Aljudy wrote:

 Brad Anderson wrote:

[...]

Erm... do you not see the 'flag as inappropriate' link?
Mar 07 2006
next sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
clayasaurus wrote:

 Yeah... when I first tried it, it identified my town exactly with
 latitude/longitude; you could even see the streets... which made me a
 little nervous about having my town pointed to like that on a map :).
 I got cold feet and unregistered again shortly later after a quick
 investigation of the main frappr groups list (just one click away)...
 a couple entries almost made me sick.  It doesn't appear that frappr
 has any moderation or regulation of the system and that annoys me.

 -JJR
Erm... do you not see the 'flag as inappropriate' link?
Is that flag working? It's a nice gesture but rather useless if it doesn't get the job done. Ah but there is some fun... I will go flag with abandon! Thanks for the pointer, Clay. Maybe there is hope for frappr. I think I'm just a little suspicious of blog sites like myspace and frappr, where the theme /seems/ to be the cozy friends, friends, friends thing mixed with ego-centric display. Too many blogs are about people that have lots to say about nothing in particular. I think blogs are little unusual in general for that reason. Yet, I admit I've seen a few with excellent, thought-provoking content. -JJR
Mar 07 2006
prev sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
clayasaurus wrote:

 Yeah... when I first tried it, it identified my town exactly with
 latitude/longitude; you could even see the streets... which made me a
 little nervous about having my town pointed to like that on a map :).
 I got cold feet and unregistered again shortly later after a quick
 investigation of the main frappr groups list (just one click away)...
 a couple entries almost made me sick.  It doesn't appear that frappr
 has any moderation or regulation of the system and that annoys me.

 -JJR
Erm... do you not see the 'flag as inappropriate' link?
Amazingly 'flag as inappropriate' seems to work. I may reconsider. -JJR
Mar 07 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Sebastián E. Peyrott <as7cf yahoo.com> writes:
In article <dukejb$1qpt$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Brad Anderson says...
http://www.frappr.com/d

Sign up and let us know where you are...

BA
I'm mad. It just won't let me add my city =(. It tells me to use autocompletion, which doesn't seem to be working. Then, as it doesn't recognize my city, it asks me to request it to be added by following a link...when I click the link, it just takes me to the same place, asking me for the same details! Argh! Thanks god this is still beta! -- Sebastián.
Mar 07 2006
Sebastián E. Peyrott wrote:
 In article <dukejb$1qpt$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Brad Anderson says...
 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...

 BA
I'm mad. It just won't let me add my city =(. It tells me to use autocompletion, which doesn't seem to be working. Then, as it doesn't recognize my city, it asks me to request it to be added by following a link...when I click the link, it just takes me to the same place, asking me for the same details! Argh! Thanks god this is still beta! -- Sebastián.
I'm reluctant to register at all considering the other types of groups that are attracted to frappr beta. If you remain innocently unaware of anything outside the D group, all things look fine. Just don't wander outside, though. Frappr is attracting a lot of weirdo groups to test its web software, and I don't want to see my name part of it. -JJR
Mar 07 2006
parent Sebastián E. Peyrott <as7cf yahoo.com> writes:
In article <dulbrj$7cq$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
Sebastián E. Peyrott wrote:
[...]

I'd be more concerned about letting personal data such as my location and full name out in the wild...but since that is already readily available, there doesn't seem to be much to worry about. Although your concern seems valid, I've only associated myself to the D group. Anyone which, by mere association, implied that I was related to any other group would instantly demonstrate his or her lack of deductive skills. In any case, it's still a valid concern... Is there a better place than Frappr for this? :( [OT[OT]]BTW, shouldn't we have an OT NG, so we could keep unimportant stuff separated from the place where discussions about the *language's fate* take place? -- Sebastián.
Mar 07 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent James Pelcis <jpelcis gmail.com> writes:
I notice that we seem to be in clumps (well... sort of).  Is that just a
coincidence?  Only time will tell!

prev sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:
 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...
Mar 08 2006
next sibling parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dunbro$9v2$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...
Brad Anderson wrote:
 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...
Why is anybody who doesn't live in a city forbidden to join the map? Stewart.
just create a better site ;) we'll join you. Ant
Mar 08 2006
prev sibling parent BCS <BCS_member pathlink.com> writes:
Stewart Gordon wrote:
 Brad Anderson wrote:

 http://www.frappr.com/d

 Sign up and let us know where you are...
Why is anybody who doesn't live in a city forbidden to join the map? Stewart.
Give it junk and then move the pointer.
Mar 08 2006