digitalmars.D - Where to find a debugger?

reply Chris <central_p hotmail.com> writes:
This question may be asked a thousand times but I'm completely stuck.
I've checked all the recommended debuggers but none seems to work on
Windows?

Where can I find an earlier version of WinDbg?

Are there any alternatives to debug D programs? How do you debug?

Thank you,
  Chris
Feb 18 2006
next sibling parent reply Wang Zhen <nehzgnaw gmail.com> writes:
Chris wrote:
 This question may be asked a thousand times but I'm completely stuck.
 I've checked all the recommended debuggers but none seems to work on
 Windows?

 Where can I find an earlier version of WinDbg?

 Are there any alternatives to debug D programs? How do you debug?

 Thank you,
  Chris
I'd recommend OpenWatcom debugger.
Feb 18 2006
parent Chris <central_p hotmail.com> writes:
Thank you,

but how do I use OpenWatcom debugger with D? I can't make it to work as
  I expect - set breakpoints in the D source file, etc. It just shows me
a disassembly.

You can google intitle:index.of "windbg.exe" in this thread http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/30966.html I said: <quote myself> I had success seeing variables using the windbg here: http://www.cs.nmt.edu/~cs221/jbpub/Detmer/Software/ (I downloaded it using the DownThemAll firefox extension!) BUT, it showed the hexadecimal values of the variables! I was able to make it show the decimal values by going options->debugger->Radix and choose the "decimal" radio button. </quote>
Feb 18 2006
parent Chris <central_p hotmail.com> writes:
Thank you, I've managed to make it work for now.

Any other tips than John's tips further down in the thread?

Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Chris wrote:
[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent "Charles" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
There are two debuggers on the DMC CD, one that comes with the IDE ( much
better than windbg ) and an old windbg.

Charlie

"Chris" <central_p hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:dt7ad9$28g1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 This question may be asked a thousand times but I'm completely stuck.
 I've checked all the recommended debuggers but none seems to work on
 Windows?

 Where can I find an earlier version of WinDbg?

 Are there any alternatives to debug D programs? How do you debug?

 Thank you,
   Chris
Feb 18 2006
prev sibling parent reply Chris <central_p hotmail.com> writes:
I have another question:

Can Visual Studio 2005 be used to compile and debug D programs?
Feb 18 2006
parent reply John Stoneham <captnjameskirk moc.oohay> writes:
Chris wrote:
 I have another question:

 Can Visual Studio 2005 be used to compile and debug D programs?
The wiki has a few debuggers mentioned: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DebugEnvironments As far as I know, the VS2005 debugger can't be used, but I may be wrong.
Feb 18 2006
John Stoneham wrote:
 Chris wrote:
 I have another question:

 Can Visual Studio 2005 be used to compile and debug D programs?
The wiki has a few debuggers mentioned: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DebugEnvironments As far as I know, the VS2005 debugger can't be used, but I may be wrong.
Thank you for you tips! I finally got WinDbg working. OpenWatcom seems as if it is working too. BTW. How do you watch strings? I have this: debug { char [] h_Name = student.Name; int h_Age = student.Age; } .Name and .Age are properties. For .Age I get a number but I also get a scary number for the string .Name? Can't I view the string value somehow? And also this doesn't work for properties. debug { int *h_ounces = &hamburger.ounces; float *h_cost = &hamburger.cost; } Regards, Chris
Feb 18 2006
parent reply Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
Chris wrote:
 John Stoneham wrote:

 Chris wrote:

 I have another question:

 Can Visual Studio 2005 be used to compile and debug D programs?
The wiki has a few debuggers mentioned: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DebugEnvironments As far as I know, the VS2005 debugger can't be used, but I may be wrong.
Thank you for you tips! I finally got WinDbg working. OpenWatcom seems as if it is working too. BTW. How do you watch strings? I have this: debug { char [] h_Name = student.Name; int h_Age = student.Age; } ..Name and .Age are properties. For .Age I get a number but I also get a scary number for the string .Name? Can't I view the string value somehow? And also this doesn't work for properties. debug { int *h_ounces = &hamburger.ounces; float *h_cost = &hamburger.cost; } Regards, Chris
Its not real pretty, but this should work if they're just fields: If, on the other hand, the properties are gettor methods, then I don't think you can 'address' them at all - except maybe with an 'address gettor'. -- Chris Nicholson-Sauls
Feb 18 2006
parent Chris <central_p hotmail.com> writes:
Thank you, Chris

I cannot say I understand D properties very well. I've  just compiled my
"Hi" program to test compiling and debugging:

main.d

import std.stdio;
import student;

void main()
{
     int i;
     i = 1;
     i++;
     printf("Hi! The number is: %d",i);

     Student student = new Student("John Smith", 30);
     writefln("\nFile is:  %s", __FILE__);
     writefln("Line is:  %s", __LINE__);

     // Debug variables needed to debug with WinDbg
     debug
     {
         char [] h_Name = student.Name;
         int h_Age = student.Age;
     }
     writefln("\nName is: %s\nAge is:  %d", student.Name, student.Age);

     printf("\n\nNow press a key to continue!");
     getch();
}

student.d

class Student
{
     private
     {
         char [] name;
         int   age;
     }

     char [] Name() { return name; }
     void Name(char [] value) { name = value; }
     int Age() { return age; }
     void Age(int value) { age = value; }

     Student next;

     this(char [] name, int age)