digitalmars.D - Suggestion: dmd.conf placement

reply Nick <Nick_member pathlink.com> writes:
At the moment (on linux), dmd.conf has to be placed in /etc, however at my uni I
of course don't have root access, so I must resort to setting DFLAGS manually.

It is common for linux programs to have an alternative config file in the home
directory, that is either used in stead of, or in addition to, the global file
in /etc. It would be nice if DMD could use eg. ~/.dmd/dmd.conf for
configuration.

Nick
Feb 10 2006

You can set those DFLAGS with Build/Make or in your profile, though... http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial/InstallingDCompiler
 It is common for linux programs to have an alternative config file in the home
 directory, that is either used in stead of, or in addition to, the global file
 in /etc. It would be nice if DMD could use eg. ~/.dmd/dmd.conf for
 configuration.
Yes, that would be a nice addition. --anders
Feb 10 2006
parent reply Nick <Nick_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dshllj$i40$1 digitaldaemon.com>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= says...
Nick wrote:

 At the moment (on linux), dmd.conf has to be placed in /etc, however at my
 uni I of course don't have root access, so I must resort to setting DFLAGS
 manually.
You can set those DFLAGS with Build/Make or in your profile, though... http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial/InstallingDCompiler
Yep, I am aware, by 'manually' I of course meant 'in a script' ;-) Nick
Feb 10 2006
next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Nick wrote:

At the moment (on linux), dmd.conf has to be placed in /etc, however at my
uni I of course don't have root access, so I must resort to setting DFLAGS
manually.
You can set those DFLAGS with Build/Make or in your profile, though... http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial/InstallingDCompiler
Yep, I am aware, by 'manually' I of course meant 'in a script' ;-)
Would still be nice to get those features and the updated instructions into DMD and the official DigitalMars documentation, though ? One Day. Also suggested was making a "dmd.tgz" tarball with Unix linefeeds (\n) so that the patches/etc. work, and providing DMD as an RPM as well. Both operations are simple to script... (Think DMD is built on Red Hat 9 or so) And several of us have offered to help ? In the end, it's easier to just use GDC. :-) --anders
Feb 10 2006

Nick wrote:

At the moment (on linux), dmd.conf has to be placed in /etc, however at my
uni I of course don't have root access, so I must resort to setting DFLAGS
manually.
You can set those DFLAGS with Build/Make or in your profile, though... http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial/InstallingDCompiler
Yep, I am aware, by 'manually' I of course meant 'in a script' ;-) Nick
Did you manage to install dmd at your uni's linux machines? I tried to install it, but of course I ran into the "root" problem. How did you work around it? I'm a linux n00b (infact, I hate linux), can you enlighten me on how to do it? :)
Feb 10 2006
prev sibling parent "Ameer Armaly" <ameer_armaly hotmail.com> writes:
"Nick" <Nick_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dshl6e$hp0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 At the moment (on linux), dmd.conf has to be placed in /etc, however at my
 uni I
 of course don't have root access, so I must resort to setting DFLAGS
 manually.

 It is common for linux programs to have an alternative config file in the
 home
 directory, that is either used in stead of, or in addition to, the global
 file
 in /etc. It would be nice if DMD could use eg. ~/.dmd/dmd.conf for
 configuration.

 Nick
I believe you could just put those lines in your .bashrc to export DFLAGS, and do away with the config file; I've always thought it was a little overdone anyway.
Feb 10 2006