Anyone who is involved with boost probably has a high opinion of C++, and is therefore likely to find fault with any language that isn't C++. At best, I suspect they would take a superficial look at D and take note of those facilities that are in C++ but missing from D (eg multiple inheritance, const). This leads to a negative first impression that deters them from spending the additional time required to understand the strengths of D. Another issue is that C++ and D share the same ecological niche. I suspect that proponents of more dissimilar languages might provide fairer criticisms. Tony Melbourne, Australia
Jan 27 2006
next sibling parent S. Chancellor <dnewsgr mephit.kicks-ass.org> writes:
On 2006-01-27 15:46:40 -0800, "Tony" <ignorethis nowhere.com> said:

 "dennis luehring" <dennis_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:drdfik$1eer$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 any comments from them?

Anyone who is involved with boost probably has a high opinion of C++, and is therefore likely to find fault with any language that isn't C++. At best, I suspect they would take a superficial look at D and take note of those facilities that are in C++ but missing from D (eg multiple inheritance, const). This leads to a negative first impression that deters them from spending the additional time required to understand the strengths of D. Another issue is that C++ and D share the same ecological niche. I suspect that proponents of more dissimilar languages might provide fairer criticisms. Tony Melbourne, Australia
I think you're failing to notice that a major portion of C++ users disdain the language, but did prefer it better than anything else. For example, me! As soon as I found D, i rejoiced. Unfortunately, D hasn't yet culminated to the point where I can use it for everything I want to. -S.
Jan 27 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Tony" <ignorethis nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:drebd5$2vf0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "dennis luehring" <dennis_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:drdfik$1eer$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 any comments from them?
Anyone who is involved with boost probably has a high opinion of C++, and is therefore likely to find fault with any language that isn't C++.
I often (unsurprisingly) find that people who have invested a great deal of effort into mastering one particular language are very reluctant to find much good in other languages. That also explains why the D programming community is a relatively young crowd.
Jan 27 2006
 "Tony" <ignorethis nowhere.com> wrote in message
 news:drebd5$2vf0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "dennis luehring" <dennis_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:drdfik$1eer$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 any comments from them?
Anyone who is involved with boost probably has a high opinion of C++, and is therefore likely to find fault with any language that isn't C++.
I often (unsurprisingly) find that people who have invested a great deal of effort into mastering one particular language are very reluctant to find much good in other languages. That also explains why the D programming community is a relatively young crowd.
I am not sure about that. D is C/C++/Java like. I have introduced many people to the D language/website and everyone had generally the same reaction: "Wow this looks like a fantastic language, but will it take off?" I share that concern, as D lacks a major corporate sponsor or a major following. However, I am hopeful, and I look forward to contributing to the D community.
Jan 28 2006
parent reply Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
I am not sure about that. D is C/C++/Java like. I have introduced many
people to the D language/website and everyone had generally the same
reaction: "Wow this looks like a fantastic language, but will it take
off?"

I share that concern, as D lacks a major corporate sponsor or a major
following.
Who was the "major corporate sponsor" for Perl, Python and Ruby? other ways for a language to succeed. D needs to be successful enough to have an O'Reilly book published.
Jan 28 2006
next sibling parent =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:
I am not sure about that. D is C/C++/Java like. I have introduced many
people to the D language/website and everyone had generally the same
reaction: "Wow this looks like a fantastic language, but will it take
off?"

I share that concern, as D lacks a major corporate sponsor or a major
following.
Who was the "major corporate sponsor" for Perl, Python and Ruby? aren't other ways for a language to succeed. D needs to be successful enough to have an O'Reilly book published.
Or maybe start publishing new versions on http://freshmeat.net
Jan 28 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Rod Haper <rhaper houston.rr.com> writes:
Mark T wrote:
 Nick wrote:
 I share that concern, as D lacks a major corporate sponsor or a major
 following.
Who was the "major corporate sponsor" for Perl, Python and Ruby?
I don't know about Perl or Ruby but Python had the early backing and support of the Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI) which served in a mid-wife role as Python transitioned from an academic to commercial/personal use status. -- Rod
Jan 28 2006
prev sibling parent reply vania vaniacilli.com writes:
In article <drfsae$1941$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mark T says...
I am not sure about that. D is C/C++/Java like. I have introduced many
people to the D language/website and everyone had generally the same
reaction: "Wow this looks like a fantastic language, but will it take
off?"

I share that concern, as D lacks a major corporate sponsor or a major
following.
Who was the "major corporate sponsor" for Perl, Python and Ruby? other ways for a language to succeed.
Without a major sponsor D is not going anywhere. D doesn't sports features that are peculiar enough to lure people away from industry standards (JAVA/.NET/C++)
Jan 30 2006
parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
vania vaniacilli.com wrote:
 In article <drfsae$1941$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mark T says...
 I am not sure about that. D is C/C++/Java like. I have introduced many
 people to the D language/website and everyone had generally the same
 reaction: "Wow this looks like a fantastic language, but will it take
 off?"

 I share that concern, as D lacks a major corporate sponsor or a major
 following.
Who was the "major corporate sponsor" for Perl, Python and Ruby? aren't other ways for a language to succeed.
Without a major sponsor D is not going anywhere. D doesn't sports features that are peculiar enough to lure people away from industry standards (JAVA/.NET/C++)
Regarding sponsorship, this may be true; but have you actually programmed a project in D? I believe you are incorrect regarding sported features. The sported "features" in D that make it better than those languages is the manifold simplicity of implementing equivalent code. D's weaknesses however lie elsewhere: lack of libraries, support tools, documentation, and... major sponsorship... these are hindering D's adoption. -JJR
Jan 30 2006