digitalmars.D - "#" symbol

reply Tomás Rossi <Tomás_member pathlink.com> writes:

more natural for the purpose (speaking of the cardinal or length of something).
Also the "$" symbol feels like a waste in using it as length.

Regards

Tom
Oct 23 2005
next sibling parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Tomás Rossi wrote:

 more natural for the purpose (speaking of the cardinal or length of something).
 Also the "$" symbol feels like a waste in using it as length.

 Regards

 Tom
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/lex.html special token sequence: or actually: SpecialTokenSequence Filespec " Characters "
Oct 23 2005
parent reply Tomás Rossi <Tomás_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <djhkm1$303g$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Hasan Aljudy says...
Tomás Rossi wrote:

 more natural for the purpose (speaking of the cardinal or length of something).
 Also the "$" symbol feels like a waste in using it as length.

 Regards

 Tom
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/lex.html special token sequence: or actually: SpecialTokenSequence Filespec " Characters "
Oh, ok, though I can't see in which cases would anyone use that special token sequence anyway. Seem's like a preprocessor command to me, like the ones Walter took away for many reasons. Another waste of nice symbols :) Tom
Oct 24 2005

Tomás Rossi wrote:

more natural for the purpose (speaking of the cardinal or length of something).
Also the "$" symbol feels like a waste in using it as length.

Regards

Tom
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/lex.html special token sequence: or actually: SpecialTokenSequence Filespec " Characters "
Oh, ok, though I can't see in which cases would anyone use that special token sequence anyway. Seem's like a preprocessor command to me, like the ones Walter took away for many reasons. Another waste of nice symbols :) Tom
I personally don't know why would anyone need to use it .. I haven't seen any discussion on it in this NG!
Oct 24 2005
parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:

Tomás Rossi wrote:

more natural for the purpose (speaking of the cardinal or length of something).
Also the "$" symbol feels like a waste in using it as length.

Regards

Tom
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/lex.html special token sequence: or actually: SpecialTokenSequence Filespec " Characters "
Oh, ok, though I can't see in which cases would anyone use that special token sequence anyway. Seem's like a preprocessor command to me, like the ones Walter took away for many reasons. Another waste of nice symbols :) Tom
I personally don't know why would anyone need to use it .. I haven't seen any discussion on it in this NG!
AFAIK, this feature is intended for preprocessors and code-generators, and is never really used during 'manual' programming. Actually, I'm using it quite heavily for DSP. For example, given the following HTML: <b>hello world</b> <dsp:code>uint a = ;</dsp:code> DSP generates something like the following: // output file: helloworld.d /** DSP runtime stuff and additional code would appear here **/ #line 1 "helloworld.dsp" response.put("<b>hello world</b>"); #line 2 "helloworld.dsp" uint a = ; This feature makes debugging actually possible, as the line numbers reported by DMD will correspond to the line numbers in the actual source. The syntax error Use of #line makes such a virtual line number mapping possible, without having to resort to parsing the compiler's output while maintaining some sort of line number translation table (icky). Now, as to wether or not its a waste of a symbol, #line is the only directive of Honestly, I wouldn't mind if #line were changed into "pragma(line,lineno,"filename")" instead; if anything it would appear to be less of language wart in that respect. - EricAnderton at yahoo
Oct 24 2005
parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"pragma" <pragma_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:djipt1$uag$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 AFAIK, this feature is intended for preprocessors and code-generators, and
is
 never really used during 'manual' programming.
That's right.
 Actually, I'm using it quite heavily for DSP.  For example, given the
following
 HTML:

 <b>hello world</b>
 <dsp:code>uint a = ;</dsp:code>

 DSP generates something like the following:

 // output file: helloworld.d
 /** DSP runtime stuff and additional code would appear here **/
 #line 1 "helloworld.dsp"
 response.put("<b>hello world</b>");
 #line 2 "helloworld.dsp"
 uint a = ;

 This feature makes debugging actually possible, as the line numbers
reported by
 DMD will correspond to the line numbers in the actual source.  The syntax
error

"helloworld.dsp"

 Use of #line makes such a virtual line number mapping possible, without
having
 to resort to parsing the compiler's output while maintaining some sort of
line
 number translation table (icky).
Yes.
 Now, as to wether or not its a waste of a symbol, #line is the only
directive of

 Honestly, I wouldn't mind if #line were changed into
 "pragma(line,lineno,"filename")" instead; if anything it would appear to
be less
 of language wart in that respect.
The idea was so one could use the C preprocessor without modification.
Oct 24 2005
prev sibling parent reply Dan <Dan_member pathlink.com> writes:
Curious why you folk are insistent on putting obscure unreadable
characters into a compiled language.  What is the value?

arr.length says it loud and clear.

arr.$ says?  money!  a whole array of it!

It doesn't make the binary smaller.

It doesn't make the code easier to read.

It makes it about three keystrokes easier (shift down, pound, shift up), but if
you really are in that much of a hurry maybe copy and paste it.  Just double
click on length and Ctrl C, Ctrl V.

Unless you care to inform me why it matters?
Oct 25 2005
next sibling parent Daniel Horn <hellcatv hotmail.com> writes:
People are complaining about the language construct that automatically
binds a local variable length to the array's length... hiding class vars
and local vars
i.e.

int length=0;
int array [10];
return array[length];
will segfault...because the code is translated into

int length=0;
int array [10];
{
   int length=array.length;
   return array[length];
}

so people suggested using characters that you could NOT name an
identifier to prevent the above mistake...
and $ was one of them--anything is better than the above mistake that's
currently in the compiler--including your solution of naming array each
time.