digitalmars.D - Code of the Nerds

reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
The nerd test at http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_nq.php scores me at 90%, or
"Supreme Nerd."
Oct 18 2005
next sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <dj3kau$30ts$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
The nerd test at http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_nq.php scores me at 90%, or
"Supreme Nerd."
Fun stuff! I'm not sure how, but I managed a 96%, or "Supreme Nerd God." Perhaps I should add a geek block to my .sig :p Sean
Oct 18 2005
next sibling parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Sean Kelly wrote:
 In article <dj3kau$30ts$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

The nerd test at http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_nq.php scores me at 90%, or
"Supreme Nerd."
Fun stuff! I'm not sure how, but I managed a 96%, or "Supreme Nerd God." Perhaps I should add a geek block to my .sig :p Sean
72 "Mid-Level Nerd. Wow, it takes a lot of hard nerdy practice to reach this level." Heheh .. higher than what I expected!
Oct 18 2005
next sibling parent reply "Ameer Armaly" <ameer_armaly hotmail.com> writes:
"Hasan Aljudy" <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dj3np0$2ok$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sean Kelly wrote:
 In article <dj3kau$30ts$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

The nerd test at http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_nq.php scores me at 90%, or
"Supreme Nerd."
Fun stuff! I'm not sure how, but I managed a 96%, or "Supreme Nerd God." Perhaps I should add a geek block to my .sig :p Sean
72
74; I actually expected a good bit lower myself, but there it is :).

Sean Kelly wrote:

In article <dj3kau$30ts$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

The nerd test at http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_nq.php scores me at 90%, or
"Supreme Nerd."
Fun stuff! I'm not sure how, but I managed a 96%, or "Supreme Nerd God." Perhaps I should add a geek block to my .sig :p Sean
72
74; I actually expected a good bit lower myself, but there it is :).
75 :) Who would have guessed.
"Mid-Level Nerd. Wow, it takes a lot of hard nerdy practice to reach this
level."

Heheh .. higher than what I expected!
Oct 18 2005
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:21:14 +0200, Ameer Armaly
 Sean Kelly wrote:
 In article <dj3kau$30ts$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

 The nerd test at http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_nq.php scores me at 90%,
 or
 "Supreme Nerd."
Fun stuff! I'm not sure how, but I managed a 96%, or "Supreme Nerd God." Perhaps I should add a geek block to my .sig :p Sean
72
74; I actually expected a good bit lower myself, but there it is :).
 "Mid-Level Nerd. Wow, it takes a lot of hard nerdy practice to reach
 this
 level."

 Heheh .. higher than what I expected!
74 as well. -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Oct 18 2005
prev sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Sean Kelly wrote:

 In article <dj3kau$30ts$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

 The nerd test at http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_nq.php scores me at 90%, or
 "Supreme Nerd."
Fun stuff! I'm not sure how, but I managed a 96%, or "Supreme Nerd God." Perhaps I should add a geek block to my .sig :p Sean
72 "Mid-Level Nerd. Wow, it takes a lot of hard nerdy practice to reach this level." Heheh .. higher than what I expected!
70. Though I think I am more of a geek than nerd.
Oct 18 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:dj3mlu$1me$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm not sure how, but I managed a 96%, or "Supreme Nerd God."
All hail Sean!
Oct 18 2005
parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <dj3t50$7ca$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:dj3mlu$1me$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm not sure how, but I managed a 96%, or "Supreme Nerd God."
All hail Sean!
Eek! :-)
Oct 18 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Kris" <fu bar.com> writes:
I bow down to you, Sean :-)

I got a whopping 40% ... not sure if that's a good thing, or what!

- Kris

"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:dj3mlu$1me$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <dj3kau$30ts$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
The nerd test at http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_nq.php scores me at 90%, or
"Supreme Nerd."
Fun stuff! I'm not sure how, but I managed a 96%, or "Supreme Nerd God." Perhaps I should add a geek block to my .sig :p Sean
Oct 18 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Kris" <fu bar.com> writes:
Since I'm such a miserable failure as a Nerd, I tried the "stupidity" test
and got a 4% stupid rating. Boo hoo hoo ~ no good at anything :-(

- Kris

 http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/stupid.php?val=6321

next sibling parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Kris" <fu bar.com> wrote in message news:dj49kp$h6j$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Since I'm such a miserable failure as a Nerd, I tried the "stupidity" test
 and got a 4% stupid rating. Boo hoo hoo ~ no good at anything :-(

 - Kris

  http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/stupid.php?val=6321
I got 10%. Wonder what I screwed up <g>.
Oct 18 2005
prev sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <dj49kp$h6j$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...
Since I'm such a miserable failure as a Nerd, I tried the "stupidity" test
and got a 4% stupid rating. Boo hoo hoo ~ no good at anything :-(
I got a 10%. Not sure what I missed :-) My wife just took the nerd test and scored a 98. I guess that makes us a good match! Sean
Oct 18 2005
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:dj4fv9$mbr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <dj49kp$h6j$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...
Since I'm such a miserable failure as a Nerd, I tried the "stupidity"
test
and got a 4% stupid rating. Boo hoo hoo ~ no good at anything :-(
I got a 10%. Not sure what I missed :-)
I figured it out by hitting the back button and modifying the test results. I goofed the thing about what was the second question, and I also answered "10" for the number of planets, since it was reported recently that another was discovered <g>. I also got the dirt-in-the-hole answer wrong (slapping my forehead). Many of the questions had no effect on the score regardless of how they were answered.
Oct 19 2005
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <dj4tdv$161h$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
 I got a 10%.  Not sure what I missed :-)
I figured it out by hitting the back button and modifying the test results. I goofed the thing about what was the second question, and I also answered "10" for the number of planets, since it was reported recently that another was discovered <g>. I also got the dirt-in-the-hole answer wrong (slapping my forehead). Many of the questions had no effect on the score regardless of how they were answered.
Ah right. I did miss the second question one. I initially answered "10" on the planets as well then backed up and changed it just to see. As for some questions not affecting the score, I noticed that while playing with the nerd test as well, but I figured some might be factors in determining the weight of a separate question. Or perhaps patterns of answers are somehow considered for bonus points... though that sounds a tad complicated for a web quiz :-) Sean
Oct 19 2005
parent reply zwang <nehzgnaw gmail.com> writes:
Sean Kelly wrote:
[...]

A übernerd should feel obliged to reverse engineer the formula! :-)
Oct 19 2005
next sibling parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dj5ose$26a9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, zwang says...
Sean Kelly wrote:
[...]

..and then proceed to immediately compose a superior solution, thus asserting one's nerdyness by making the older quiz look pathetic in comparison! Seriously, it really should have been a question at the end: "What do you think about this quiz?" (o) Neat! (o) I've seen better. (o) I figured out how it works, and didn't need to know the answers. (*) I've already thought out a better way to do it and plan on writing it. A personal example: Back in Highschool CS, myself and a two other 'ubernerds' in the class found our way into demo programming. It hit a point where we just kept trying to out-do each other's work, culminating in a sort of a tennis match of programming expertise. Size, speed, memory footprint, effects and of course hacks were all traits to be admired... and outdone. Oh, the things that can be done on a 286 and VGA registers! .. it sure made our CS homework seem boring, that's for sure. So yea, I think its essential to *need* to constantly establish a 'better way to go' if one truely walks the path of the nerd. ;) - EricAnderton at yahoo
Oct 19 2005
next sibling parent reply JT <jtd514 ameritech.net> writes:
Right on, I was a Mode-X addict! I havent had as much fun since I was
plugging VGA registers. Its funny - I met Abrash at Microsoft and acted
like a giddy schoolgirl talking to him about how cool mode x was - he
gave me this funny look and said "yah Im glad we dont have to do that
crap anymore"

Kinda like santa claus telling you toys are lame.... :D

pragma wrote:
 A personal example: Back in Highschool CS, myself and a two other 'ubernerds'
in
 the class found our way into demo programming.  It hit a point where we just
 kept trying to out-do each other's work, culminating in a sort of a tennis
match
 of programming expertise.   Size, speed, memory footprint, effects and of
course
 hacks were all traits to be admired... and outdone.  Oh, the things that can be
 done on a 286 and VGA registers!

 ... it sure made our CS homework seem boring, that's for sure.

 So yea, I think its essential to *need* to constantly establish a 'better way
 go' if one truely walks the path of the nerd. ;)

 - EricAnderton at yahoo
Oct 19 2005
parent pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dj5sks$29oa$1 digitaldaemon.com>, JT says...
Right on, I was a Mode-X addict! I havent had as much fun since I was
plugging VGA registers. Its funny - I met Abrash at Microsoft and acted
like a giddy schoolgirl talking to him about how cool mode x was - he
gave me this funny look and said "yah Im glad we dont have to do that
crap anymore"
Yikes, I woudn't have expected that at all. Although I must admit, if we had something better that ran under DOS in 1994, I would've used it.
Kinda like santa claus telling you toys are lame.... :D
You got that right. :( For those following this thread who haven't heard of Mr. Abrash: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Abrash For what its worth, his "Graphics Programming Black Book" is available online (yup, the whole thing): http://public.planetmirror.com.au/pub/gpbb/ Unlike most 3-inch bookends these days, that book is cover-to-cover content; no fluff. Just cruise the table of contents. Trust me, its worth reading. - EricAnderton at yahoo
Oct 19 2005
In article <dj5r2q$28e1$1 digitaldaemon.com>, pragma says...
Ah, the good old days ;-) That reminds me of a story that's been floating around the web for a long time now: http://home.att.net/~rmestel/articles/real_programmers.txt Sean
Oct 19 2005
prev sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <dj5ose$26a9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, zwang says...
A übernerd should feel obliged to reverse engineer the formula! :-)
An ubernerd with more free time perhaps ;-) I got as far as discovering that different questions awarded different numbers of points and stopped. Though I would be interested to know which of the questions had the largest impact on overall nerdiness. I was thinking perhaps the photo recognition. Sean
Oct 19 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply John Demme <me teqdruid.com> writes:
Wow.  I scored a 99%- "Supreme Nerd God".... Does that mean y'all should
be worshipping me?... Or that I really need to get out more often?

~John Demme