digitalmars.D - How do I sleep in D?

reply Hannes <Hannes_member pathlink.com> writes:
How do I sleep for a given number of milliseconds?
Oct 16 2005
next sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Hannes" <Hannes_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:diuepu$2ebg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 How do I sleep for a given number of milliseconds?
std.c.time.msleep()
Oct 16 2005
parent reply Bruno Medeiros <daiphoenixNO SPAMlycos.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 "Hannes" <Hannes_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:diuepu$2ebg$1 digitaldaemon.com...

How do I sleep for a given number of milliseconds?
std.c.time.msleep()
Now that's pretty strange. Should std.c.time contain sleep, msleep, usleep? I mean, shouldn't std.c.time be just a wrapper for C's time.h ? -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student "Certain aspects of D are a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."
Oct 17 2005
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <dj0022$30lh$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Bruno Medeiros says...
Walter Bright wrote:
 "Hannes" <Hannes_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:diuepu$2ebg$1 digitaldaemon.com...

How do I sleep for a given number of milliseconds?
std.c.time.msleep()
Now that's pretty strange. Should std.c.time contain sleep, msleep, usleep? I mean, shouldn't std.c.time be just a wrapper for C's time.h ?
I think the C headers in Phobos are more representative of the C headers in DMC than they are a strict adherence to the C standard. The obvious problem being that while extensions are fine when implementing someone else's standard, they set a dangerous precedent when establishing your own--does the presence of msleep in std.c.time mean that all D implementations need that function there? I assume since these headers are in std.c it should be apparent that that they are an implementation of the C spec and any extensions are obviously non-portable, but a D programmer without a C background may not know which functions are standard and which are not. The C headers in Ares are a strict implementation of the C standard (with the exception of alloca and one or two others--clearly marked by a version(DigitalMars)) and are fairly complete. They're available here if anyone wants them: http://svn.dsource.org/projects/ares/trunk/src/ares/std/c/ I've eyeballed the headers in DMC and everything seems to be supported, though there may be some gaps with GDC. I'll see about submitting a sleep function for std.thread--the implementations for Windows and most Unices are quite short. Sean
Oct 17 2005

Walter Bright wrote:

[...]

An extension, I see. I don't mind the existence of extensions, but what we should not do is leave such core functionality as an extension in the std C library. It should be available (and specified) in the D standard library. So please go ahead with such std.thread submission :) . -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student "Certain aspects of D are a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."
Oct 22 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:56:30 +0000 (UTC), Hannes
 How do I sleep for a given number of milliseconds?
import std.c.time; import std.stdio; //std.c.time contains sleep,msleep,usleep void main() { writefln("Sleep.."); msleep(500); writefln("Done"); } sleep - in secs msleep - in milli secs usleep - in micro secs Regan
Oct 16 2005
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <opsyrenh1m23k2f5 nrage.netwin.co.nz>, Regan Heath says...
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:56:30 +0000 (UTC), Hannes
 How do I sleep for a given number of milliseconds?
import std.c.time; import std.stdio; //std.c.time contains sleep,msleep,usleep
It's worth noting that sleep and usleep are typically found in unistd on Unix machines, but their presence is optional. I'm not sure why POSIX doesn't define msleep as well, but it seems a common addition. Sleep( int milliseconds ) is the corresponding call on Windows systems. Sean
Oct 16 2005