digitalmars.D - Implicit ulong literals no longer?

reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Oops, hit the wrong 'group before.  Let's try again....

I noticed that the spec for integer literals has changed.  Decimal
integer literals without the U suffix are now always int or long, never
ulong.  But why?

Previously, this line would have compiled:

     ulong ul = 18446744073709551615;

I did notice, in the change log for 0.105

"Changed integral literal type determination to match C99 6.4.4.1."

which I'm guessing is something to do with it.  But I don't see the
point of this change.  The "looks like C, acts like C" principle doesn't
seem to be at work here, since the subset of cases that are still
allowed seem to have the same behaviour specified as they did under the
old spec.  I certainly don't see any bug that allowing the above line
could cause.

Stewart.

--

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on
the 'group where everyone may benefit.
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:diltob$1ku9$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 I noticed that the spec for integer literals has changed.  Decimal
 integer literals without the U suffix are now always int or long, never
 ulong.  But why?

 Previously, this line would have compiled:

      ulong ul = 18446744073709551615;

 I did notice, in the change log for 0.105

 "Changed integral literal type determination to match C99 6.4.4.1."

 which I'm guessing is something to do with it.  But I don't see the
 point of this change.  The "looks like C, acts like C" principle doesn't
 seem to be at work here, since the subset of cases that are still
 allowed seem to have the same behaviour specified as they did under the
 old spec.  I certainly don't see any bug that allowing the above line
 could cause.
I think this will reduce bugs with inadvertent signed/unsigned confusion.
Oct 16 2005
parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 "Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
 news:diltob$1ku9$2 digitaldaemon.com...
<snip>
 Previously, this line would have compiled:

      ulong ul = 18446744073709551615;

 I did notice, in the change log for 0.105

 "Changed integral literal type determination to match C99 6.4.4.1."
<snip>
 I think this will reduce bugs with inadvertent signed/unsigned confusion.
Nov 04 2005