digitalmars.D - SelfHosting

reply Sokolov Yura <Sokolov_member pathlink.com> writes:
Why D is not self hosting language?
I mean, could be front end (for example) written in D? And backend too?
For a moment we see how C++ killer is written in C++ :-)
Sep 11 2005
next sibling parent J Thomas <jtd514 ameritech.net> writes:
I dont think ready its for yet. :-)

Sokolov Yura wrote:
 Why D is not self hosting language?
 I mean, could be front end (for example) written in D? And backend too?
 For a moment we see how C++ killer is written in C++ :-)

Sep 11 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Vathix <chris dprogramming.com> writes:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:23:55 -0400, Sokolov Yura
 I mean, could be front end (for example) written in D? And backend too?
 For a moment we see how C++ killer is written in C++ :-)
Here's an older discussion, http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/19857.html
Sep 11 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent J C Calvarese <technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
In article <dg1i6b$2m26$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sokolov Yura says...
Why D is not self hosting language?
I mean, could be front end (for example) written in D? And backend too?
For a moment we see how C++ killer is written in C++ :-)
I take by "self-hosting" you mean "self-compiling". It's in a FAQ: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?action=browse&id=FaqRoadmap&oldid=FAQ#Self-CompilingCompiler jcc7
Sep 11 2005
prev sibling parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Sokolov Yura" <Sokolov_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dg1i6b$2m26$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Why D is not self hosting language?
 I mean, could be front end (for example) written in D? And backend too?
 For a moment we see how C++ killer is written in C++ :-)
I'd much prefer it was written in D, it would make maintenance and improvement much easier. But it's got to hook up with the gcc back end and the DMC back end.
Sep 13 2005