digitalmars.D - Extra socket output problem

reply "Ameer Armaly" <ameer_armaly hotmail.com> writes:
Hi all.
I am writing a telnet-like application, and am experiencing some strange
behavior with my sockets.  When the user hits enter,  the text is sent, but
before that 4 extra bytes (usually ctrl-b and 3 nulls) are sent.  What does
this mean, and how can I avoid it?
Jul 21 2005
next sibling parent "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"Ameer Armaly" <ameer_armaly hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:dbo7ej$272m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi all.
 I am writing a telnet-like application, and am experiencing some strange
 behavior with my sockets.  When the user hits enter,  the text is sent,
 but before that 4 extra bytes (usually ctrl-b and 3 nulls) are sent.  What
 does this mean, and how can I avoid it?
Is it the length of the string about to be sent? I kindof doubt it since it would be odd if all your test strings had the same length. Posting some code would help. For example if you are using std.stream the method write(char[]) will first send the length and then the string contents. The result must be read using read (and watch out about endianness if you go this route).
Jul 21 2005
prev sibling parent reply Tim Laurent <nanobyte gmx.com> writes:
Ameer Armaly wrote:
 Hi all.
 I am writing a telnet-like application, and am experiencing some strange
 behavior with my sockets.  When the user hits enter,  the text is sent, but
 before that 4 extra bytes (usually ctrl-b and 3 nulls) are sent.  What does
 this mean, and how can I avoid it?

I encountered similar behaviour when I wrote a simple HTTP client. I cannot find the sources for it, but I ensured the client only sent an array of bytes (byte[]) - that way no other information is transmitted except what you explicitly specify. -Tim
Jul 27 2005
parent "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"Tim Laurent" <nanobyte gmx.com> wrote in message
news:dc8gic$b4r$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Ameer Armaly wrote:
 Hi all.
 I am writing a telnet-like application, and am experiencing some strange
 behavior with my sockets.  When the user hits enter,  the text is sent,
 but before that 4 extra bytes (usually ctrl-b and 3 nulls) are sent.
 What does this mean, and how can I avoid it?
I encountered similar behaviour when I wrote a simple HTTP client. I cannot find the sources for it, but I ensured the client only sent an array of bytes (byte[]) - that way no other information is transmitted except what you explicitly specify. -Tim
note Ameer emailed me offline and he was reading using readLine and sending using write so the first 4 bytes he saw were indeed the length of the string in platform-dependent byte order.
Jul 27 2005