digitalmars.D - Boehm-Weisser Garbage Collector Question

reply llothar <llothar_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hello,
D is using the BWGC, which raises two questions for me (i'm using the BWGC in my
large GNU SmallEiffel project that i want to port to D):

1) Does D provide type hints, which means does it feed the GC a descriptor where
it can expect pointers in a data structure ?

2) Is D using atomar memory for strings or other simple arrays (so that this
chunks are never scanned for pointers).

I found that both are important features when GC ist used under compiler
control. They improve the GC speed a lot - at least in my case where i keep
large strings and byte arrays (for images).

If not is this planned ?
Jul 13 2005
next sibling parent reply Mike Capp <mike.capp gmail.com> writes:
In article <db3fe4$ivb$1 digitaldaemon.com>, llothar says...
2) Is D using atomar memory for strings or other simple arrays (so that this
chunks are never scanned for pointers).
AIUI, not yet, but it's on Walter's TODO list. You may want to allocate big chunks like images on a non-GC heap in the meantime. cheers Mike
Jul 13 2005
parent llothar <llothar_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <db3gl1$jsq$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mike Capp says...
In article <db3fe4$ivb$1 digitaldaemon.com>, llothar says...
2) Is D using atomar memory for strings or other simple arrays (so that this
chunks are never scanned for pointers).
AIUI, not yet, but it's on Walter's TODO list.
You only quoted point (2) so does this mean that only (2) is on Walter's TODO list or also question (1) ?
Jul 13 2005
prev sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"llothar" <llothar_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:db3fe4$ivb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hello,
 D is using the BWGC,
No, it does not. It uses a gc that was written from scratch by myself.
 which raises two questions for me (i'm using the BWGC in my
 large GNU SmallEiffel project that i want to port to D):

 1) Does D provide type hints, which means does it feed the GC a descriptor
where
 it can expect pointers in a data structure ?
No, although D is designed so that this is possible in a future implementation.
 2) Is D using atomar memory for strings or other simple arrays (so that
this
 chunks are never scanned for pointers).
No, although D is designed so that this is possible in a future implementation.
 I found that both are important features when GC ist used under compiler
 control. They improve the GC speed a lot - at least in my case where i
keep
 large strings and byte arrays (for images).

 If not is this planned ?
It'll happen.
Jul 14 2005