digitalmars.D - Can virtual functions be called inside the constructor

reply llothar <llothar_member pathlink.com> writes:
Sorry a simple yes/no question.

Just theoretical evaluating the chance to move my project from eiffel to d, so i
would really like to see a "yes" here.
Jul 11 2005
next sibling parent "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"llothar" <llothar_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dauhd9$1uv0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sorry a simple yes/no question.

 Just theoretical evaluating the chance to move my project from eiffel to
 d, so i
 would really like to see a "yes" here.
yes. Running class A { this(){foo();} void foo(){printf("hi\n");} } class B :A { void foo(){printf("hi2\n"); super.foo();} } int main() { B b = new B; return 0; } printf "hi2" then "hi". The object vtable is initialized before the ctor is called. Initializers are also applied before the ctor is run: class A { int x = 20; this(){printf("%d\n",x);} } int main(){new A; return 0;} will print "20".
Jul 11 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Mike Capp <mike.capp gmail.com> writes:
In article <dauhd9$1uv0$1 digitaldaemon.com>, llothar says...
Sorry a simple yes/no question.
Yes, insofar as prints "derived". Personally I can't help feeling that this is rather unsafe, but then D (unlike C++) will statically-initialize members to (hopefully safe) defaults before calling any ctors. just a theoretical problem.
Jul 11 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"llothar" <llothar_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dauhd9$1uv0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sorry a simple yes/no question.

 Just theoretical evaluating the chance to move my project from eiffel to
d, so i
 would really like to see a "yes" here.
Yes. D constructors are passed a "fully formed" class object instance, with each of its fields set to its corresponding default value. This includes the pointer to the virtual function table pointer (vptr), which is set to the most derived class' vtbl[]. This is unlike C++, where the fields are garbage, and vptr is set to the vtbl[] of the constructor's class, rather than the vtbl[] of the most derived class.
Jul 12 2005
next sibling parent "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
C++ is retarted and D is cool.

-Craig

"Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:db11j9$176k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "llothar" <llothar_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:dauhd9$1uv0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sorry a simple yes/no question.

 Just theoretical evaluating the chance to move my project from eiffel to
d, so i
 would really like to see a "yes" here.
Yes. D constructors are passed a "fully formed" class object instance, with each of its fields set to its corresponding default value. This includes the pointer to the virtual function table pointer (vptr), which is set to the most derived class' vtbl[]. This is unlike C++, where the fields are garbage, and vptr is set to the vtbl[] of the constructor's class, rather than the vtbl[] of the most derived class.
Jul 12 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Mike Capp <mike.capp gmail.com> writes:
In article <db11j9$176k$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
D constructors are passed a "fully formed" class object instance,
Yes, up to a point. According to the class docs, "The invariant is checked when a class constructor completes [... or ...] before a public or exported member is run". So what about when a public method is called virtually from a base-class constructor? Is the invariant checked before the constructor has run? If not, why not? The object is supposed to be "fully formed", isn't it? If so, the derived class invariant would need to be established by static initialization, and if all interesting invariants could be established that way then we wouldn't need constructors in the first place. So either you water down the invariant, or you refrain from calling virtuals in ctors. Even virtuals which don't touch any member data. cheers, Mike
Jul 12 2005
prev sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <db11j9$176k$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"llothar" <llothar_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dauhd9$1uv0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sorry a simple yes/no question.

 Just theoretical evaluating the chance to move my project from eiffel to
d, so i
 would really like to see a "yes" here.
Yes. D constructors are passed a "fully formed" class object instance, with each of its fields set to its corresponding default value. This includes the pointer to the virtual function table pointer (vptr), which is set to the most derived class' vtbl[]. This is unlike C++, where the fields are garbage, and vptr is set to the vtbl[] of the constructor's class, rather than the vtbl[] of the most derived class.
I assume the same is true for the dtor as well? Sean
Jul 16 2005