digitalmars.D - One thing from total happiness!!! -Walter!

reply M <M_member pathlink.com> writes:
I am talking about automatic string conversion.
Even Java has it!

char []s;
int n;

why not?
s=s~n;

This is one thing that java is far better than D, I must sadly say.

Right now I have a line in my code:
xchange(xmysql("UPDATE "~table~" SET id2 = $a where id = $b ",
"$a="~toString(i1),"$b=
"~toString(ids)));

but why not
xchange(xmysql("UPDATE "~table~" SET id2 = $a where id = $b ", "$a="~i1,"$b=
"ids));

Ok, I have 2 sql vars here, but what I had 10? What a mess would my code be.

I know that automatic conversion might be a bit confusing, but it adds so much
to the readability of code.

D has done so much to simplify reading and writing of code, why stop now?

So why not?
Jul 10 2005
next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"M" <M_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:das2qq$2j5g$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 but why not
 xchange(xmysql("UPDATE "~table~" SET id2 = $a where id = $b ",
 "$a="~i1,"$b=
 "ids));
Using a variadic function instead, and using format(), you could write it as xchange(xmysql("UPDATE ",table," SET id2 = $a where id = $b ", "$a=",i1,"$b="ids)); Not quite the same, but better.
 I know that automatic conversion might be a bit confusing, but it adds so
 much
 to the readability of code.
That's mainly the reason. The only "way" to do such a thing currently would be to have a String class, with overloaded opCat/opCatAssign operators for whatever types you wish to be automatically converted to strings. Walter does _not_ really like implicit operations (like implicit casts, which is kind of what this is).
Jul 10 2005
parent M <M_member pathlink.com> writes:
Using a variadic function instead, and using format(), you could write it as

xchange(xmysql("UPDATE ",table," SET id2 = $a where id = $b ",
"$a=",i1,"$b="ids));
Well, it's not the same sadly. I thinks I haveto write a code converter. It's sad that what Walter could do in an hour, I will be doing maybe next few month. (Maybe Walter could add a compiler switch instead. Ah, I am hoping to much.) My work is very closly related to text handling and conversion is something I need very often. The other thing is if D want's to compete with PHP then it needs this conversion. For me is D a reasonable alterative to PHP when writing web. Jarnet, thank you for answering me! In article <das3lh$2k9g$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jarrett Billingsley says...
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"M" <M_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:das2qq$2j5g$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I am talking about automatic string conversion.
 Even Java has it!

 char []s;
 int n;

 why not?
 s=s~n;

 This is one thing that java is far better than D, I must sadly say.
Implicit conversions often make life easier and code simpler. Unfortunately, they also have a dark side. Too many of them wind up defeating static type checking, creating onerous and ugly bugs that manifest themselves only at runtime. So it's a balancing act. Too few implicit conversions, and code is a pain to write. Too many, and it's a pain to debug.
Jul 10 2005
next sibling parent reply AJG <AJG_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi Walter,

I think implicit stringification of types would be one of those things in the
"good" side of the balancing act. Not so the other way around, though. This
mostly because of two things:

1) "Strings" have pretty much their own operator in D; you only have to watch
out for that one thing. If the programmer does something like:

writef("Value=" ~ someInt);

I think it's pretty safe to assume he knows exactly what he's getting, in all
situations. Whereas the reverse is not true, because all operators come into
play.

int someInt = 42 + someString; // Ah! Watch out.
float someFloat = 3.14 * someString; // Watch out here too.
double someDouble = 6.66 / someString; // And here. Etc...

2) The second reason is that stringification is (or should be) an
exception-safe, error-free and very simple procedure.

// This is safe:
writef(toString(someInt));
// This not so much:
int someInt = toInt(someString);

Here's a simple, orthogonal solution to the problem:

Define a toString property for all types, just like .max. This is needed only
for primitives, since I believe all objects already have it. Then, when implicit
conversion to string is needed, the variable's toString is called.

Very simple, no surprising results, and no potential errors. toString should in
theory never fail. This would be a _really_ great feature. I currently have tons
of unsightly toString() calls all over the place. Plus there's the whole
toString collision problem with std.date and co.

Thanks,
--AJG.

In article <dasvio$b5g$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"M" <M_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:das2qq$2j5g$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I am talking about automatic string conversion.
 Even Java has it!

 char []s;
 int n;

 why not?
 s=s~n;

 This is one thing that java is far better than D, I must sadly say.
Implicit conversions often make life easier and code simpler. Unfortunately, they also have a dark side. Too many of them wind up defeating static type checking, creating onerous and ugly bugs that manifest themselves only at runtime. So it's a balancing act. Too few implicit conversions, and code is a pain to write. Too many, and it's a pain to debug.
Jul 10 2005
parent reply M <M_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi Walter,
What you think if there where a ~: operator or something other like that

char []a;
int n;
a=a~:n;

or if you wish
a=""~:n;

better than
a=a~toString(n);

a=toString(n);

+ you won't have this toString collation when you write classes.

What you think?

In article <dat2fp$e61$1 digitaldaemon.com>, AJG says...
[...]

Jul 11 2005
parent reply M <M_member pathlink.com> writes:
Ok, seriously, what you think of this?

What you think of easy integer to string conversion operator.

Something like ~:

?

In article <datb72$q10$1 digitaldaemon.com>, M says...

Jul 12 2005