digitalmars.D - should std package be renamed?

reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
It seems ugly to me to have modules like std.stdio, std.stdarg, std.stdint
and all the std.c.stdio, std.c.stdlib and friends. Anyone else think
something should be done? The most obvious choice is to change "std" to "d"
and move "std.c.foo" to "c.foo". For example the directory structure would
become (where indenting indicates nesting)
phobos
  etc (same as before)
    stdio
    stdlib
    stdarg
    boxer
    conv
    ctype
    date
    stdarg
    stdio
    string
    zlib

For example instead of
  import std.stdio;
  import std.c.stdio;
  import std.string;
you'd write
  import d.stdio;
  import c.stdio;
  import d.string;
May 31 2005
next sibling parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
[...]

Seems too sensible ... it'll never fly ;-) Actually, I like the idea. It looks good and clearly understandable. I won't mind updating my existing source code for this change. However it would help if we had a built-in compiler version identifier. d_version(0,126) import d.stdio; else import std.stdio; -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 1/06/2005 11:41:50 AM
May 31 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent zwang <nehzgnaw gmail.com> writes:
I like the idea, though it would break all the existing code.

Ben Hinkle wrote:
[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent reply J C Calvarese<technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
In article <d7j1ir$82d$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
It seems ugly to me to have modules like std.stdio, std.stdarg, std.stdint
and all the std.c.stdio, std.c.stdlib and friends. Anyone else think
I'd try renaming std.stdio > std.io std.stdarg > std.arg std.stdint > std.integer for starters.
[...]

I suggested a similar idea a couple years ago (before we had "std"), but it turned out I was wrong. Walter's message from 17 Oct 2003: "What happened was that I'd prefer just 'd', but it wound up causing problems because 'd' was commonly used as a local variable name. 'D' is rarely used, so seemed to make better sense. "Compromises everywhere, sigh <g>." (http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/18378) We managed to convince him that "D" wasn't good enough either and finally Walter selected "std" as the name. I think Phobos could use some reorganization, but I don't think "d" is the answer. jcc7
May 31 2005
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
 I suggested a similar idea a couple years ago (before we had "std"), but
 it
 turned out I was wrong.
Yeah I had a feeling it was proposed back when the Great Rename happened but I was too lazy to check the archives :-(
 Walter's message from 17 Oct 2003:

 "What happened was that I'd prefer just 'd', but it wound up causing
 problems
 because 'd' was commonly used as a local variable name. 'D' is rarely
 used,
 so seemed to make better sense.

 "Compromises everywhere, sigh <g>."

 (http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/18378)
It's true that the code import d.string; int main() { int d = 10; char[] s = d.string.toString(d); } would need to be written as either import d.string; int main() { int d = 10; char[] s = toString(d); } or import d.string; int main() { int d = 10; char[] s = .d.string.toString(d); } but to me that's ok. I wouldn't think "d" or "c" would be common top-level names. Importing in non-top-level scopes is unusual and not recommended IIRC so really the only conflict would be for top-level names.

parent reply Trevor Parscal <trevorparscal hotmail.com> writes:
Walter's message from 17 Oct 2003:

"What happened was that I'd prefer just 'd', but it wound up causing
problems
because 'd' was commonly used as a local variable name. 'D' is rarely
used,
Who names a variable d? That is the most non-descriptive variable name ever, and anyone who uses it should be slapped with a fine, payable to Walter's pay pal account. x, y.. z.. I can see.. Like in coordinate systems.. I suppose I can event see w and h if you are so lazy you cant write width and height.. Which btw drives me insane... If d is a common variable name, local, global.. class members.. ANYTHING.. Than what are you using it for? PLEASE tell me! And if nobody comes up with a good enough answer, we should punish the offenders by changing the library names and forcing them to write more descriptive names or their code will be broken.. (kinda joking here) I am torn.. A: I think that it makes sense to have any standard libs should be in d.*, and c bindings should be in c.* and when we get to the point where we can bind another language's compiled crap, if ever, not that we need it, you could have cpp.* or something... B: But you know, who cares what the names of the standard libs are. I admit, I cared at one point, but now I care about my own software. To tell you the truth, I don't use that much of the standard libs anyways, mostly just string stuff, which is all really well done anyways. State your position... A. Should we focus on writing new features, instead of changing existing code? B. Is it important to focus on changing things before there is too much code it will break out there? C. Do we all just rant cause we lack an outlet for this crap anywhere else.. (I mean, honestly, I can't talk to my fiance or my friends about this crap..) Let the newsgroup know... -- Thanks, Trevor Parscal www.trevorparscal.com trevorparscal hotmail.com
May 31 2005
next sibling parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
d is distance, discriminant, data.

news:d7jkm3$ofc$1 digitaldaemon.com...

next sibling parent reply Trevor Parscal <trevorparscal hotmail.com> writes:
Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
 d is distance, discriminant, data.

If I were reading your code, how the hell would I know which one of those d was supposed to mean... Programing is allot about choosing names for things... I am sure everyone using D has a sufficient vocab, probably better than mine. USE IT! -- Thanks, Trevor Parscal www.trevorparscal.com trevorparscal hotmail.com
May 31 2005
parent "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
"Trevor Parscal" <trevorparscal hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d7jl48$omj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
 d is distance, discriminant, data.
If I were reading your code, how the hell would I know which one of those d was supposed to mean...
Easy, see: bool HaveSpacesuitWillTravel() { foreach(distance d; stars) { if (d <= 4.3) writef("Alpha Centaurus? Piece of cake!"); else writef("Do you have a spare ion drive, BTW?"); } }

 --
 Thanks,
 Trevor Parscal
prev sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
d is dumb ;-) -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 1/06/2005 5:17:31 PM
Jun 01 2005
next sibling parent reply J C Calvarese<technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
In article <1o6qpoefvv20w$.i85textgh7d9$.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...
It's not dumb. It's just the letter I use when a, b, and c are already used. :) jcc7
Jun 01 2005
parent reply Trevor Parscal <Trevor_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d7jp8f$u1o$1 digitaldaemon.com>, J C Calvarese says...
In article <1o6qpoefvv20w$.i85textgh7d9$.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...
It's not dumb. It's just the letter I use when a, b, and c are already used. :) jcc7
why use a, b, c, d... ? Arrays are SOOO much more flexible, powerful, manageable, and in most cases, faster when compiled. Eh.. whatever, It's not the point.. I won't name my varaible that way.. and why would you have a user data type that's all lowercase? foreach(distance d; ... Wouldnt that be foreach(DISTANCE distance; ... or foreach(Distance distance; ... Well... I appricate the feedback anyhoo. Have a good night gents! Thanks, Trevor Parscal www.trevorparscal.com trevorparscal hotmail.com
Jun 01 2005
parent "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
news:d7jpo4$uad$1 digitaldaemon.com...