digitalmars.D - inner classes

reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
This is based on discussions of mine with Kris where we were looking for a
solution:

D can access existing code written in C very will. It's not hard to create a
D interface to any C module. One can do it by rote with minimal effort.

The problem is that a lot of the libraries that D needs, like GUI libraries,
are written in C++. C++ code tends to be so quirky, and and so wrapped up in
its need to explicitly manage memory, that it is very resistent to rote
translation into D (or any other language).

One could run C++ through one of the C++ to C translators, and then do an
interface to the C. But the C code emitted is something only a machine could
love, and is not something D programmers would want to deal with. It is not
really a viable solution. One could adapt one of the, say, C++ to Python
bindings, but the end result of that just isn't attractive either.

I've looked at doing a hand translation of C++ gui libraries. No dice, the
sheer volume of code makes it completely impractical.

On the other hand, Java is a fairly simple language. It can be rote
translated into many other languages, including C, C++ and D. There exists
tons of Java code, including GUIs, with open source licenses that permit
translation. The translation into D would retain enough of its original
character to enable leveraging the existing documentation for the Java
version as well.

Kris has made a lot of progress building such a translator. He suggested
that the only remaining large obstacle is that much otherwise translatable
Java code is wrapped around use of inner classes, and D doesn't have inner
classes. Workarounds are ugly, and would cause it to lose the "character" of
the way the code is designed to work.

Using a Java to D translator will still require an expert hand to guide it,
since there are many semantic differences, subtle and not so subtle (such as
arrays, order of evaluation, strings, overload resolution, conversion rules,
etc.). Kris has experience with this, and he believes these issues are
managable.

So, the result is that Kris has convinced me to support inner classes in D.
This is a heads up that such change is coming. It shouldn't affect any
existing code, unless that code uses nested classes. To prepare for the
future, declare these nested classes as "static class ...", and they'll
continue to work in the future as they do currently. I don't have a schedule
for this change yet, as it is not a simple "drop in" into the compiler. A
fair amount of engineering needs to be done.

No analogous "inner struct" support is planned.
May 28 2005
next sibling parent pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d7aqja$1dos$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
[snip]

So, the result is that Kris has convinced me to support inner classes in D.
This is a heads up that such change is coming. It shouldn't affect any
existing code, unless that code uses nested classes. To prepare for the
future, declare these nested classes as "static class ...", and they'll
continue to work in the future as they do currently. I don't have a schedule
for this change yet, as it is not a simple "drop in" into the compiler. A
fair amount of engineering needs to be done.
Walter, I for one anxiously await this in D (dmd 0.126?). Having been inside the front-end a few times myself, I know this cannot be easy to implement. My hat is off to you good sir. Thanks again for all the hard work and effort. - EricAnderton at yahoo
May 28 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply David L. Davis <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> writes:
In article <d7aqja$1dos$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...

..
So, the result is that Kris has convinced me to support inner classes in D.
This is a heads up that such change is coming. It shouldn't affect any
existing code, unless that code uses nested classes. To prepare for the
future, declare these nested classes as "static class ...", and they'll
continue to work in the future as they do currently. I don't have a schedule
for this change yet, as it is not a simple "drop in" into the compiler. A
fair amount of engineering needs to be done.

No analogous "inner struct" support is planned.
Since I lack knownledge about Java, what exactly is the differents between a nested class, and a inner class? Could someone please shine some light on this subject. Thanks in advance, David L. ------------------------------------------------------------------- "Dare to reach for the Stars...Dare to Dream, Build, and Achieve!" ------------------------------------------------------------------- MKoD: http://spottedtiger.tripod.com/D_Language/D_Main_XP.html
May 28 2005
parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d7avqg$1gv1$1 digitaldaemon.com>, David L. Davis says...
Since I lack knownledge about Java, what exactly is the differents between a
nested class, and a inner class? Could someone please shine some light on this
subject.

Thanks in advance,
David L.
I was a tad curious myself, as I wasn't 100% sure what the actual difference was Here we go: http://www.cs.rice.edu/~cork/book/node80.html Unlike nested classes, inner classes get an implicit pointer to the enclosing class instance. I'm *assuimg* that our new inner class feature will add an 'outer' keyword to talk to the outer class.
 class Outer{
    int member;
    class Inner{
       void foo(){
           writefln("%d",outer.member);
    void bar(){
        (new Inner()).foo();
void main(){ (new Outer()).bar(); new Outer.Inner(); // Error: no enclosing instance 'Outer' for class 'Inner'. } - EricAnderton at yahoo
May 28 2005
parent reply "Shawn Liu" <liuxuhong.cn gmail.com> writes:
"pragma" <pragma_member pathlink.com>
дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:d7b5hn$1knd$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <d7avqg$1gv1$1 digitaldaemon.com>, David L. Davis says...

I think the inner class is a class embeded in a function. class Outer{ int member; void func(){}; void bar(){ int barNumber; void innerfunc(){}; class Inner{ int myownMember; void foo(){ writefln("%d",outer.member); // Error, currently writefln("%d",barNumber); // Error, currently writefln("%d",myownMember); // OK func(); // error, outer.func(); // error, where can we get outer? innerfunc(); // maybe error, I am not sure. } } (new Inner()).foo(); } } void main(){ (new Outer()).bar(); } this kind of inner class can work currently, excepte that it can not access neither the Outer's member nor the member declared in function bar();
May 28 2005
next sibling parent reply "Shawn Liu" <liuxuhong.cn gmail.com> writes:
This kind of technology is widly used in java.

class Outer{
void foo(){
    class NewActionListen : ActionListener{
         public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent evt){
            writefln("write some thing");
    addActionLister(new NewActionListener());

and is the same as the following code.

class Outer{
void foo(){
    addActionLister(new ActionListener(){
        public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent evt){
            writefln("write some thing");
        }
   };
We call the later "anonymous class" since it was derived from a base class
but has not been assigned a name.

D rejects the later and accepts the former syntax. But the frame inside
foo() and Outer class can't be access by the inner class method.

I solve by passing the outer class instance into the inner class while port
SWT from java to d.
see the original code in last message.

class Outer{
    int member;
    void func(){};

    void bar(){
     int barNumber;
     void innerFunc();
     class Temp{
      Outer inst;
      int barNumber;
     }
     class Inner{
      Temp t;
      this(Temp tmp) {t = tmp;}
        int myownMember;
        void foo(){
            writefln("%d",t.inst.member);
            writefln("%d",t.barNumber);
            writefln("%d",myownMember);
            t.inst.func();
            // nested function, only in D
            innerFunc();// maybe error, java has no nested function
     Temp t = new Temp();
     t.inst = this;
     t.barNumber = barNumber;
     (new Inner(t)).foo();

 void main(){
 (new Outer()).bar();
 }

looks ugly but works.
May 28 2005
parent reply John Demme <me teqdruid.com> writes:
 This kind of technology is widly used in java.

 class Outer{
 void foo(){
     class NewActionListen : ActionListener{
          public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent evt){
             writefln("write some thing");
     addActionLister(new NewActionListener());

 and is the same as the following code.

 class Outer{
 void foo(){
     addActionLister(new ActionListener(){
         public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent evt){
             writefln("write some thing");
         }
    };
 We call the later "anonymous class" since it was derived from a base class
 but has not been assigned a name.
Actually, they are not the same. As I recall, each time the code for the anonymous class is run, it creates a new class, whereas the inner class is one class. The anonymous classes are basically an inefficient waste of memory. John Demme
May 29 2005
parent "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
"John Demme" <me teqdruid.com> wrote in message
news:1117411000.19815.7.camel localhost.localdomain...
[...]

On each invocation of foo() will be created new instance. anonymous classes are exactly the same as inner classes, they just have no name and their declaration implies hidden 'new' call. In Java inner classes have access to 'final' local variables existing at the point of their definition. There is no 'final' concept in D.
May 29 2005