digitalmars.D - D installation details [question]

reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
The documentation at http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dcompiler.html#Win32
currently mentions both DMD and DMC as requirements, but DMC by default,
unzips into \dm
and DMD by default unzips into both \dm
and \dmd
so I was wondering if this may perhaps be the cause of some of the problems
I've had.

Does anyone know whether the files included in the \dm folder that's included
in dmd.zip
are better or worse (or identical) for use with the D language than the files
by the same names that
are included in the dmc.zip file?

Also, does anyone know wwhether or not any of the other files in dmc.zip (that
don't come in dmd.zip) are
needed for the DMD compiler to work correctly?

One more thing... can anyone tell me which settings need to be changed as part
of the DMD installation
for the DMD compiler and linker to work correctly on a system that isn't set up
the way the default installation expects it to be?

I would appreciate any attempts at providing helpful information in regard to
these questions.

Thanks.

TZ

May 17 2005
next sibling parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
Files in dmc.zip, specifically the linker, are needed.

I always check the mtimes.

Just sc.ini and the path, really.  I have DMD installed in D:\Program
Files\Digital Mars.  I had to use D:\PROGRA~1\DIGITA~1, though.

-[Unknown]

[...]

parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> wrote in message
news:d6cep6$11et$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Files in dmc.zip, specifically the linker, are needed.

 I always check the mtimes.

 Just sc.ini and the path, really.  I have DMD installed in D:\Program
 Files\Digital Mars.  I had to use D:\PROGRA~1\DIGITA~1, though.

 -[Unknown]
Thanks. What's the mtimes? TZ
May 17 2005
parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
By "the mtimes" I meant "the file modification times".  In other words,
I use the file that was more recently modified if dmd.zip and dmc.zip
both contain a file with the same name.

-[Unknown]

parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> wrote in message
news:d6cgeg$12r1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 By "the mtimes" I meant "the file modification times".  In other words,
 I use the file that was more recently modified if dmd.zip and dmc.zip
 both contain a file with the same name.

 -[Unknown]
Ah, okay. Normally that's what would have done also... but I didn't use the DMC stuff at all, because I wanted to test DMD without DMC. I guess it doesn't work that way at this point, so I've decided to give in and just try to get it to function correctly. TZ
May 17 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Ben Harper" <ben gls.co.za> writes:
It will be easiest if you extract dmc to c:\dm and dmd to c:\dmd.
Then add c:\dm\bin and c:\dmd\bin to your path.

"TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> wrote in message
news:d6cdr8$10v8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

"Ben Harper" <ben gls.co.za> wrote in message
news:d6cfcl$127d$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It will be easiest if you extract dmc to c:\dm and dmd to c:\dmd.
 Then add c:\dm\bin and c:\dmd\bin to your path.
Unfortunately, due to space limitations, I have to restrict what I install on drive C:, so I put DMD on my external drive F: instead... but the information is helpful. thanks. I would rather not add anything to my path, again, due to space limitations (in this case, environment space)... but if it's necessary, I guess I have no choice. By the way, the same web page... http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dcompiler.html#Win32 gives the following example: \dmd\bin\shell all.sh (run from the \dmd\samples directory) but I don't seem to have an "all.sh" file. Should I have downloaded it elsewhere? TZ
May 17 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> wrote in message
news:d6cfto$12hp$1 digitaldaemon.com...

*snip*
 By the way, the same web page...
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dcompiler.html#Win32
 gives the following example:
 \dmd\bin\shell all.sh
 (run from the \dmd\samples directory)
 but I don't seem to have an "all.sh" file.  Should I have downloaded it
elsewhere?

 TZ
Ah, yes I do have it. I had read the directory wrong. It's \dmd\samples\d Unfortunately though, it errors... F:\dmd\samples\d>\dmd\bin\shell all.sh shell 1.00 \dmd\bin\dmd hello F:\DMD\BIN\..\..\dm\bin\link.exe hello,,,user32+kernel32/noi; hello Hello World. --- errorlevel 20 F:\dmd\samples\d> TZ
May 17 2005
parent reply James Dunne <james.jdunne gmail.com> writes:
Just a note - the dmc.zip houses the Windows versions of DMC and the linker.
For Linux, you only need to download the dmd.zip and make /dmd/bin/dmd
executable.

In article <d6chk7$13p4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, TechnoZeus says...
"TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> wrote in message
news:d6cfto$12hp$1 digitaldaemon.com...

*snip*
 By the way, the same web page...
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dcompiler.html#Win32
 gives the following example:
 \dmd\bin\shell all.sh
 (run from the \dmd\samples directory)
 but I don't seem to have an "all.sh" file.  Should I have downloaded it
elsewhere?

 TZ
Ah, yes I do have it. I had read the directory wrong. It's \dmd\samples\d Unfortunately though, it errors... F:\dmd\samples\d>\dmd\bin\shell all.sh shell 1.00 \dmd\bin\dmd hello F:\DMD\BIN\..\..\dm\bin\link.exe hello,,,user32+kernel32/noi; hello Hello World. --- errorlevel 20 F:\dmd\samples\d> TZ
May 18 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"James Dunne" <james.jdunne gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d6gdt7$cir$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Just a note - the dmc.zip houses the Windows versions of DMC and the linker.
 For Linux, you only need to download the dmd.zip and make /dmd/bin/dmd
 executable.
That's an interesting piece of information. Thanks. TZ
May 18 2005