digitalmars.D - array slice syntax

reply William Kilian <will tk2.com> writes:
The array slice syntax in D is unintuitive. a[1..3] should refer to
three elements, not two.

The reasons for the current syntax are clear. It allows the length
property to be used as the second slice bound, e.g. a[3..a.length]. This
saves us from typing length - 1 whenever we want a slice to extend to
the end of an array. However, adding a read-only last property to arrays
such that last := length - 1 would save us the repeated subtractions yet
allow array slice syntax to have the intuitive meaning. Perhaps end or
tail would be a better name than last. Regardless, the meaning of
a[3..a.last] or a[3..a.end] is transparent. Besides, a[3..a.length] is
confusing anyway because a[a.length] is always invalid.

I'm honestly surprised by the current design. Everything else in D is
wonderfully intuitive.

Will
May 01 2005
next sibling parent reply "Hasan Aljudy" <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Array indexing in counter-intiuitive anyway .. (in the C family of
languages)
you declare an array int a[5] .. yet a[5] is not an element in the array
a[1] is not the first element, it's the second!
It's always confusing at the beginning ..

I think the current syntax does make sense: consider the situation where you
want to slice 5 elements starting from element x: the syntax makes sense:
array[x .. x+5], as opposed to your suggestion: array[x..x+5-1]

That comes up often in my opinion .. you don't really hardocde the slices,
you want a starting point and a length, so the syntax becomes:
array[start..start+length]

a[1..3] refers to two elents because it's actually a[1..1+2], or because 3-1
= 2.
when I see something like a[5..8] I wouldn't count in my head "5,6,7,8" and
conclude 4 elements .. I would look at it and say "hmm .. 8 - 5 = 3, so that
must be 3 elements"
This is especially true when the numbers are largeer and the space between
them is big, like a[34..67], there is no way that I'm gonna count all the
way from 34 to 67! I would just subtract 67-34, and that gives me the number
of elements, it wouldn't be very intuitive if I had to add 1 to that:
67-34+1

news:d53gug$7pf$2 digitaldaemon.com...

parent reply William Kilian <will tk2.com> writes:
 Array indexing in counter-intiuitive anyway .. (in the C family of
 languages)
 you declare an array int a[5] .. yet a[5] is not an element in the array
 a[1] is not the first element, it's the second!
 It's always confusing at the beginning ..
I always thought int a[5] being indexed from 0 to 4 was perfectly intuitive. The declarations are one-based, which is intuitive. The indexes are binary and go from all 0s to all 1s, just like all integers in a computer, which to me was intuitive from the beginning. We could make the indexes start at one, but my caveat with the slice operator would be the same. I'd want to use a[1..5] instead of a[1..6] to mean the whole array. But if we one-based our indexes and made both range endpoints inclusive, then a[1..length] would still be the whole array like it is now.
 I think the current syntax does make sense: consider the situation where you
 want to slice 5 elements starting from element x: the syntax makes sense:
 array[x .. x+5], as opposed to your suggestion: array[x..x+5-1]

 That comes up often in my opinion ..
It's easy to come up with valid examples to justify either range syntax. If I want to slice a tag out of an xml string, I would expect to do something like this: char[] tag = xml[xml.pos('<')..xml.pos('>')]; Right now, I would need this instead: char[] tag = xml[xml.pos('<') .. xml.pos('>') + 1]; Whether or not the syntax is transparent is not related to one example being more frequent than the other. Transparency is about the meanings the symbols have, not how frequent we use the symbols.
 you don't really hardocde the slices,
No, but I can still have two absolute positions.
 you want a starting point and a length, so the syntax becomes:
 array[start..start+length]
If array[b..c] is designed to mean array[start..start+length], then start is used redundantly. It should just be array[start..length]. Except of course, that is bad because ".." implies a range; b..c intuitively means from b to c, including b and c. If it's supposed to be a start and a length, the slice operator should use "..", it should be something that does not imply a range. Then your examples would read
 a[1..3] refers to two elents because it's actually a[1..1+2], or because 3-1
 = 2.
 when I see something like a[5..8] I wouldn't count in my head "5,6,7,8" and
 conclude 4 elements .. I would look at it and say "hmm .. 8 - 5 = 3, so that
 must be 3 elements"
 This is especially true when the numbers are largeer and the space between
 them is big, like a[34..67], there is no way that I'm gonna count all the
 way from 34 to 67! I would just subtract 67-34, and that gives me the number
 of elements, it wouldn't be very intuitive if I had to add 1 to that:
 67-34+1

I disagree with that. If I was loading numbered boxes and on day 2 I loaded boxes numbered 34 through 67, how many boxes did I load? Not 67 - 34. Ranges naturally include their endpoints and the count of integers in a range is not high - low. I don't count to know that 10 through 19 is ten integers, nor would I count for 5 through 8. For 5..8 I would say 5..8 has the same number of elements as 1..4: 4 elements. So I do subtract, but not high - low. I subtract high - (low - 1) because that's more intuitive than the equivalent high - low + 1. So I loaded 67 - 33 = 34 boxes on day 2 because 34..67 has the same count as 1..34. Other languages assign the meaning I expect to range operators. In perl, 1..10 means a list with ten elements. In fact, perl slices work how I suggest they should work in D. Pascal uses 1..10 in array declarations to mean ten elements. PHP doesn't have a range operator, but it has a function range(low, high) that returns an array of numbers from low to high inclusive. Regular expressions use character ranges and a-z includes the z. Ranges intuitively include their endpoints. My point is that array[b..c] intuitively means array[start..end], not array[start..end+1] and not array[start..start+length]. b..c is a range and ranges intuitively include their endpoints. I agree start+length is a common use for slices, but that does not justify compromising the transparency of the range operator by making it mean something different than what a range intuitively means. Instead, slices should have an alternative syntax for start+length that doesn't use an operator that implies a range. Anyway, I can remember that array[b..c] means array[start..start+length], so I greatly appreciate your message because you pointed that out. But start..start+length is a mnemonic. If the intuitive meaning was used, I wouldn't need a memory trick like that. Of course, now that I've written all this, I'd remember it without a mnemonic anyway ;) Will
May 01 2005
parent reply "Hasan Aljudy" <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
 Array indexing in counter-intiuitive anyway .. (in the C family of
 languages)
 you declare an array int a[5] .. yet a[5] is not an element in the array
 a[1] is not the first element, it's the second!
 It's always confusing at the beginning ..
I always thought int a[5] being indexed from 0 to 4 was perfectly intuitive. The declarations are one-based, which is intuitive. The indexes are binary and go from all 0s to all 1s, just like all integers in a computer, which to me was intuitive from the beginning.
It depends on how you think about it .. For me, a[5] means a set with 5 elements (not the mathematical meaning of a set, but just a set of objects) Intuitivly, the first element is the element number one (hence 1st), so a[1] would make sense, however it turns out a[x] is just *(a+x) so a[1] becomes the second element.
 We could make the indexes start at one, but my caveat with the slice
 operator would be the same. I'd want to use a[1..5] instead of a[1..6] to
 mean the whole array. But if we one-based our indexes and made both range
 endpoints inclusive, then a[1..length] would still be the whole array like
 it is now.
Pascal lets you exoplicitly define the range of the array, you can start indexing from -2 to 5 where a[-2] becomes the first element, but I wouldn't really like that to be in D.
 I think the current syntax does make sense: consider the situation where
 you want to slice 5 elements starting from element x: the syntax makes
 sense: array[x .. x+5], as opposed to your suggestion: array[x..x+5-1]

 That comes up often in my opinion ..
It's easy to come up with valid examples to justify either range syntax. If I want to slice a tag out of an xml string, I would expect to do something like this: char[] tag = xml[xml.pos('<')..xml.pos('>')]; Right now, I would need this instead: char[] tag = xml[xml.pos('<') .. xml.pos('>') + 1]; Whether or not the syntax is transparent is not related to one example being more frequent than the other. Transparency is about the meanings the symbols have, not how frequent we use the symbols.
yeah well, it depends on the context really. My point was that it's not totally counter intuitive, and in my example, it would be intuitive. Anyway, dealing with thigs like string.indexof('e') has always confused me, I'm never sure whether I wanted the position itself or the position after it, so I always have to make some tests and adjust the code by adding - 1 or + 1 to the position.. I think off-by-one errors are somewhat common.
 you don't really hardocde the slices,
No, but I can still have two absolute positions.
 you want a starting point and a length, so the syntax becomes:
 array[start..start+length]
If array[b..c] is designed to mean array[start..start+length], then start is used redundantly. It should just be array[start..length]. Except of course, that is bad because ".." implies a range; b..c intuitively means from b to c, including b and c. If it's supposed to be a start and a length, the slice operator should use "..", it should be something that array[x,5] and be more compact than array[x..x+5].
I guess you're right on this one, array[start->length] may be more appropriate.
[...]
Again it depends on how you think about it. I personally was never comfortable with the a[0] being the first element, specially when dealing when strings: you always think about the nth letter in the work, yet you refer to it with string[n-1], I can never get that right in my head, and so I always have to make some extra effort when thinking about dealing with this kind of problems. So that's why I don't see a big deal in a[b..c] returning a range not including c. As for the a[start..start+length] thing, it just happened to come up yesterday in a small project I was working on.
May 02 2005
parent reply William Kilian <will tk2.com> writes:
 It depends on how you think about it ..
Yes, but everybody should think about it the same way I do! ;)
 I think off-by-one errors are somewhat common.
I agree... which is why I think the language should always be as intuitively obvious as possible without sacrificing other design goals.
 So that's why I don't see a big deal in a[b..c] returning a range not
 including c.
It's not a big deal. I'm just not one to accept "because that's the way it is" when I don't understand why it's the way it is.
 As for the a[start..start+length] thing, it just happened to come up
 yesterday in a small project I was working on.

Cool. I appreciate the perspective. Will
May 02 2005
parent reply "Bob W" <nospam aol.com> writes:
"William Kilian" <will tk2.com> wrote in message
news:d54q5r$1900$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It depends on how you think about it ..
Yes, but everybody should think about it the same way I do! ;)
The good thing is - Walter didn't think your way, therefore D is here to stay. ;-)
 So that's why I don't see a big deal in a[b..c] returning a range not
 including c.
It's not a big deal. I'm just not one to accept "because that's the way it is" when I don't understand why it's the way it is.
Please refer to my post at the end of this thread. You'll understand and maybe even accept that D slicing is not "the way it is" - it is "the way it works".
May 02 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 "William Kilian" <will tk2.com> wrote in message
 news:d54q5r$1900$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It depends on how you think about it ..
Yes, but everybody should think about it the same way I do! ;)
The good thing is - Walter didn't think your way, therefore D is here to stay. ;-)
Well I'd reword this as "The thing is - Walter doesn't think this way, therefore D is not going to change." ;-) -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 2/05/2005 9:35:49 PM
May 02 2005
parent reply "Bob W" <nospam aol.com> writes:
"Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
news:1w1eg0etuekis.fldighu3fj4w$.dlg 40tude.net...
 "William Kilian" <will tk2.com> wrote in message
 news:d54q5r$1900$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It depends on how you think about it ..
Yes, but everybody should think about it the same way I do! ;)
The good thing is - Walter didn't think your way, therefore D is here to stay. ;-)
Well I'd reword this as "The thing is - Walter doesn't think this way, therefore D is not going to change." ;-)
If he starts changing basic things now, like indexing and/or slicing, this forum would be a very lonely place sooner than later. But we could read heaps of D-obituaries in the archives.
May 02 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 "Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
 news:1w1eg0etuekis.fldighu3fj4w$.dlg 40tude.net...
 "William Kilian" <will tk2.com> wrote in message
 news:d54q5r$1900$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It depends on how you think about it ..
Yes, but everybody should think about it the same way I do! ;)
The good thing is - Walter didn't think your way, therefore D is here to stay. ;-)
Well I'd reword this as "The thing is - Walter doesn't think this way, therefore D is not going to change." ;-)
If he starts changing basic things now, like indexing and/or slicing, this forum would be a very lonely place sooner than later. But we could read heaps of D-obituaries in the archives.
Firstly, I did not just say I wanted any changes to D's indexing methodology. And yes, I agree that many things in D are now set in stone. But my point was that even if the vast majority of people wanted this change and were willing to put up with the grief that it would generate, it would not be changing because Walter is in control and he is not going to change his stance. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 3/05/2005 6:57:23 AM
May 02 2005
parent "Bob W" <nospam aol.com> writes:
"Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
news:7elg863g6qgq.fkue2yc1jk8t.dlg 40tude.net...
[...]
Don't forget: - D is HIS baby. - He gives it to you and me at a good price. - He is an experienced guy who wants to prevent D sharing the same fate as several other 'revolutionary' PLs which nowbody cares about. - Walter seems to listen. I remember to have seen improvements in new D releases which were apparently the result of a single newsgroup thread. - I personally doubt that the 'democratic' approach for developing D is the way to go (but, of course, I might be wrong). - Walter has integrated a zillion of improvements over comparable PLs, so even if I don't agree with some features, I'll be prepared to gladly accept their existence. Furthermore: - I guess if you really wanted him to change his stance he would finally give in. It just dpends on the number of digits on your donations check. (But again, I might be wrong.) ;-)
May 02 2005